What about a belly dance and burlesque show?

Shanazel

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh, my dear Auntie Sadie's left hind leg, I must've had a longer day than I thought. That clip from Beat Girl was one of the silliest things I have ever seen. How on earth did she keep a straight face?

I was sorry the clip ended when it did- I am curious about what the little girl was going to do with the feather duster to follow the phallic veil.

Last edited:

lizaj

I wouldn't expect Princess Farhana to be wearing a skirt in Burlesque.

I would if she were belly dancing but hey ho it doesn't need to be a long skirt.
I have pictures of Serena Wilson and Soheir Zaki wearing long skirts but you could hardly tell from the front they were wearing them at all.And as for Dina and Randa..the word short comes to mind and..... gravity defying bras.
It isn't just about costuming. It's about 2 dance forms (both to be admired) that when you put them together, it gets very confusng and with a belly dancer the clothes, however few they may be..STAY ON!

But then I keep getting told by Sapphira (don't I, dear?) what an old kill-joy I am. When it comes to leading the GP up the garden path about the two acts.... I am.

I'm looking forward to seeing Fordiddenwhen it returns to Blackpool ( I loved it on film) !
Belly dance while it is without doubt a sexy dance, it can be family friendly and it has a whole culture behind it.

Suheir

There are two "burlesque belly dance" peformances by Harriet Gervasio at Planet Egypt in London tomorrow evening.

Suheir

lizaj

"SIAM SHIMMY
Fun combination of Thai and belly dance. Eye catching hip shimmy golden coins jingling with every move and tassels twirling too"

MISS HONEY MOON THE PROFESSIONAL BRIGHTON BURLESQUE ENTERTAINER PERFORMER- FOR PARTIES SHOWS CLUBS FUNCTIONS IN BRIGHTON LONDON SUSSEX KENT SURREY WORTHING BOGNOR REGIS EASTBOURNE CRAWLEY TUNBRIDGE WELLS BEXHILL HASTINGS EAST GRINSTEAD SEVENOAKS MAID

Tell me that this and the Cleopatra shtick are doing belly dance a service? :(

Suheir I am too old to keep reading posts like this I am off to lie down again and get a bath!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

TribalDancer

"SIAM SHIMMY
Fun combination of Thai and belly dance. Eye catching hip shimmy golden coins jingling with every move and tassels twirling too"

MISS HONEY MOON THE PROFESSIONAL BRIGHTON BURLESQUE ENTERTAINER PERFORMER- FOR PARTIES SHOWS CLUBS FUNCTIONS IN BRIGHTON LONDON SUSSEX KENT SURREY WORTHING BOGNOR REGIS EASTBOURNE CRAWLEY TUNBRIDGE WELLS BEXHILL HASTINGS EAST GRINSTEAD SEVENOAKS MAID

Tell me that this and the Cleopatra shtick are doing belly dance a service? :(

I dunno...I guess I figure that if people are hiring a burlesque dancer, and this is clearly a burlesque dancer page and schtick, then they will get many things vamped and stereotyped.

I don't really have much to say to a burlesque dancer who sees the costumes of bellydance and sees an opportunity to create a campy "harem" character. Because they don't know any better, and likely their clientele doesn't either. But I get frustrated by bellydancers, who know damn well the damage it can do, and chooses to "fuse" it anyway...they DO know better, and make that choice to the detriment of the communtiy they claim to belong to.

jenc

Surely it's a Siamese burlesque piece. Since most of the movements of burlesque are exaggerated BD, why mention BD at all. All it can be is an excuse to wear a pointy hat whilst gyrating!!!

Aniseteph

Never mind the pointy hat (ooh, wizard-fusion bellydance anyone?) - anyone else spotted what you can do with a spare couple of finger cymbals? :lol:

lizaj

S?he's got it in one...

UK women's website The Lipster's take on burlesque: The Lipster - Features - The big burlesque debate

Every damn disco and its sister seems to be running a neo-burlesque night these days, most of which tend to feature ladies taking off vaguely vintage styled clothes to the tinny strains of Hey Big Spender. Sadly, burlesque this does not make. Burlesque is supposed to be funny as well as sexy, and satirical as well as steamy. Back in the day, burlesque dancers would appear with comedians and take part in skits before performing their own acts. This side of burlesque seems to be ignored as more clubs seize on the trend just so they can get a nudie girl dancing at their disco and pretend it's a little bit arty and ironic.

I think the problem is you have to be clever and talented to be a real Burley-Girl!Irony and satire are difficult to get to grips with!
And that means any little woman who wants to feel liberated, stick on a coupla pasties , prance around then pose with a feather between her cheeks ( you know what I mean) to Big Spender is not actually doing it...and she ain't even going to try at my haflas.:rolleyes:

Meanwhile I shall trot up the coast to Blackpool and see it done properly some time.All power to Burlesque real-time.

Suheir

Every damn disco and its sister seems to be running a neo-burlesque night these days, most of which tend to feature ladies taking off vaguely vintage styled clothes to the tinny strains of Hey Big Spender. Sadly, burlesque this does not make. Burlesque is supposed to be funny as well as sexy, and satirical as well as steamy. Back in the day, burlesque dancers would appear with comedians and take part in skits before performing their own acts. This side of burlesque seems to be ignored as more clubs seize on the trend just so they can get a nudie girl dancing at their disco and pretend it's a little bit arty and ironic.

I think the problem is you have to be clever and talented to be a real Burley-Girl!Irony and satire are difficult to get to grips with!
And that means any little woman who wants to feel liberated, stick on a coupla pasties , prance around then pose with a feather between her cheeks ( you know what I mean) to Big Spender is not actually doing it...and she ain't even going to try at my haflas.:rolleyes:

Meanwhile I shall trot up the coast to Blackpool and see it done properly some time.All power to Burlesque real-time.
:clap:

And now Miles feels the need to comment: Miles views on maintaining a positive image for the Gilded Serpent

Aniseteph

I don't think it's such an issue for a belly dancer to perform in a burlesque show/venue, provided that it's in a mixed bill, with other non-burlesque dancers, or novelty acts or whatever - so the bellydancer is no more especially linked to taking off clothes (no matter how tastefully/satirically/amusingly it's done :rolleyes:) than the fire-eaters or the juggling act or whatever. It's when it's just bellydance and burlesque, lumped together because of some spurious hey we're all shimmy sisters under the skin reasoning - :wall:

BellyBeginner

Hi,

I noticed another belly dancing and burlesque night in London. Is anyone going?

This was on London Bellydance...

NEW Sunday 11 - SHIMMY SHAKE SHOW (right) - "After a sell-out debut show in March, Sapphira presents more hot talent for the next show! Burlesque beauties, sultry singers, belles of belly dance, hilarious hosts plus burlesque stall with stunning designs & prizes to be won on the night!" - Sapphira's belly dancing & burlesque show returns to Madame Jo Jo's (Soho W1F), tix £10/13, doors 7:30pm

london belly dance - news & events