Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Member Ravenhairedbellydancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default why does this happen to me?

    Now i have definitely noticed a trend... it started with things that have nothing to do with dance... a few yrs ago i didnt know my social security # and i wrote it down on a card and it happened to be left on my table in a spot where i looked at it just randomly every day,, after a few weeks i realized i knew the whole thing by heart.... well for months i was trying and trying to learn hip drops and the more i practiced the worse i got at it sometimes.... i stopped dancing for close to 2 months recently and when i go and practice again, my hip drops are better than ive ever done them , without trying at all.... I also find that after things happen i may not remember certain important details until days later,,i think i learn a bit differently than some people or is this normal? I honestly dont know what this is...?

  2. #2
    V.I.P. Yasmine Bint Al Nubia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    1,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi Ravenhairedbellydancer...I'm going to call you Raven whew! Sometimes this happens to me and it's perfectly normal. When I was in nursing school, I would study for a test right until the day or two before. Then, I would just relax and do other activities and I would pass the test w/o any problems. The same with dance and music..it's a different set of memory skills you are using: short term vs long-term. It's good to develop both.
    Yasmine

  3. #3
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Why?

    Dear Ravenhairedbellydancer,
    My theory on this is that our brains and bodies have to make some kind of neurological connection, and that it takes time for those connections to develop. We all have dance epiphanies, and just seem to wake up one day, able to do a movement or grasp a concept that just did not work for us the day before. You are perfectly normal in this, so don;t worry!
    Regards,
    A'isha

  4. #4
    Member *elly belly*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary, alberta, canada
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default no worries darlin!

    i second the motion! i know this isnt a very good example but if im continously doing science homework on and on i start making a bunch of mistakes and it gets worse and worse, you need to rest and bounce back! thats happened to me with dance moves too dont worry! <3 hope you feel better about it

  5. #5
    V.I.P. karena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The North, UK
    Posts
    1,854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Raven, your post made me think of this book, which talks about different ways people learn, with a view to improving the way you learn. I suppose a main premise, it that yes often you learn better when you try less hard

    Amazon.co.uk: NLP for Lazy Learning: How to Learn Faster and More Effectively: Amazon.co.uk:: Diana Beaver

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhairedbellydancer View Post
    Now i have definitely noticed a trend... it started with things that have nothing to do with dance... a few yrs ago i didnt know my social security # and i wrote it down on a card and it happened to be left on my table in a spot where i looked at it just randomly every day,, after a few weeks i realized i knew the whole thing by heart.... well for months i was trying and trying to learn hip drops and the more i practiced the worse i got at it sometimes.... i stopped dancing for close to 2 months recently and when i go and practice again, my hip drops are better than ive ever done them , without trying at all.... I also find that after things happen i may not remember certain important details until days later,,i think i learn a bit differently than some people or is this normal? I honestly dont know what this is...?
    Raven, what you are talking about is called "latent learning." All the practice you did when your hip drops were not good was actually putting the wheels in motion. Your body was learning the muscle memory for hip drops. At the time you were doing all that drilling, you didn't have the muscular strength and flexibility to do the move properly. Your emotions kicked in when you were frustrated at not being able to do them. And that meant that you were trying to use your brain to do a hip drop rather than the muscles. During the break you took, latent learning continued. When you started again muscles took over before your brain could even get in the way.

    Souzan

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Ravenhairedbellydancer,
    My theory on this is that our brains and bodies have to make some kind of neurological connection, and that it takes time for those connections to develop. We all have dance epiphanies, and just seem to wake up one day, able to do a movement or grasp a concept that just did not work for us the day before. You are perfectly normal in this, so don;t worry!
    Regards,
    A'isha
    yes this was on "sport science", espn just recently. it is a mind-body connection. you practice, muscle repitition trains/hones mind memory for the action...in time mind memory executes muscle memory. something like that.

    that is why you should always practice in proper form, you will execute the move as it has been practiced.

  8. #8
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Dance etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by charity View Post
    yes this was on "sport science", espn just recently. it is a mind-body connection. you practice, muscle repitition trains/hones mind memory for the action...in time mind memory executes muscle memory. something like that.

    that is why you should always practice in proper form, you will execute the move as it has been practiced.

    Dear Charity,
    Nice to have one of my pet theories validated by Sport Science!! Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    A'isha

  9. #9
    V.I.P. jenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colchester UK
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have similar problem, but related. when I dance choreos, I can't remember them and I seize up. when I free dance my hips have a life of their own but in class doing routines, I am at best mediocre.
    but this explains one thig I noticed. The longer we practise something the worse I get. The first dance class I attended we learnt one dance over 20 weeks and i just got a complex. The class I go to now, I am expected to pick up dances in the back catalog on the fly, and I pretty well can. The more you use your brain, the less well your body works
    Jen

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    well this is beginner related but i noticed in my class, new dancers, like myself would want to do so well and pick up immediately on new moves/dances and it puts a lot of pressure on themselves. things will come to you naturally when you relax and enjoy what you are doing. and maybe they wont, but at least you will have more fun being relaxed and calm rather than beating yourself up over not being able to do something exactly how the teacher is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •