Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance

Dear Charity,
    And there are literally hundreds of variations and layers based on those ten fundamental concepts, so if you can't get them all, there are countless other options available! Some of the best dancers do not necessarily have a huge movement vocabulary. When you see wonderful dancers who don't know a million moves, I think in some ways that they really prove that movement is only one element of what makes it dance. I am coming from a physical place of being able to layer like nobody's business, so this is not a self-serving remark.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    I have similar problem, but related. when I dance choreos, I can't remember them and I seize up. when I free dance my hips have a life of their own but in class doing routines, I am at best mediocre.
    but this explains one thig I noticed. The longer we practise something the worse I get. The first dance class I attended we learnt one dance over 20 weeks and i just got a complex. The class I go to now, I am expected to pick up dances in the back catalog on the fly, and I pretty well can. The more you use your brain, the less well your body works
    Jen
    As silly as it may sounds, have you tried asking your brain to remember them? Unless you tell your brain that's what you want to do, it might not realise. Personally, I am renowned for remembering choreographies, but that is only if I specifically tell myself to remember. Sometimes, I don't specifically do so, and then it doesn't go in so readily.

Post Thanks / Like

THanks I'll try that. I had an amazing experience though when I realised that I knew something. My new egyptian teacher does lots of dances and if you are new you just get told to follow everyone else. I have done this dance in a square formation initially, reforming into lines with different dancers doing different things. I got to do it quite well, but following split second behind and not always sure that I was following the right dancer. Last time there were only 3 in my lie. The girl my side is newer than I am, so I just turned my head straight forward, said "Right", and did it perfectly!! YEAH!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good Jenc! With the way I see the world, I would think that that is because it had gone in there, and then when you really needed to remember your brain thought "right I need to use this knowledge not just store it way back there". There used to be someone in my class who I could always copy when I forgot, and then she went abroad for a year, and I thought "oh dear, I'll have to remember myself now", and since then everything goes in, and comes back out when I need it if that makes sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12