Egypt and Turkey shopping

Caroline_afifi

I agree, these forums are totally different and adds great way to communicate and share information about our passion - oriental dance.

Websites are different, they are used very differently. I tried to put some other costume makers than the usual. For example Nousa's information is quite difficult to find just as well as Aziz's. I only include people I have seen several times, been in their shop, seen their stuff and know that the quality is good. I will add there more designers, when I'm sure that they do good job. Most of the cases I have their costumes, but not all. I have two or three new shops on my list and I want to include them before April, next festival, as many dancers will come to Cairo.

For other shopping in Cairo... there isn't really any. The Citystars is a big mall, where most of the products are similar as in West. It's really expensive, even with sales etc. Not a place I would go to. In Egypt the quality of the products (clothes, shoes..) is mostly very bad. As all the foreigners I buy 90% of my clothes, 95% shoes and 100% underwear and socks from outside. The stuff here is not meant to last more than 2 months. For traveller it first seems that there is so many shops, so many things to buy. The colors and the details in the clothes are something not found in Europe. In reality most of the shops sell same clothes, the nice details go bad quickly and make the clothes to be cleaned in dry cleaners, not in washing machine. The fit of the clothes are not for Europeans, not always for even Egyptians. So as I said I don't buy things here.
Silver and gold is something I would get here although the gold is really expensive a the moment.

But anyway that's a good idea. When I have more than one or two places to recommend, I could include those kind of shops too.

Outi

Outi of Cairo

I know what you mean about the shopping etc. but for those who are looking to check out a little more I think the malls are interesting places.
City stars is good for people watching despite the fact it has turned into a giant youth club. There are nice cafes and resturants there too.
The khan el khalili in there is a little expensive but you can get some unusual looking jewerllery and interesting crafts. You can also go the the Fayrouz restaurant next door and have a really good evening. The food is great and last time I saw Suraya dance. I dont go there that often, we tend to use it for the cinema and something to do on cold winter nights in Cairo.

I am surprised you have not checked out Oriental Moon. They have been open since about October and they do some really nice costumes that are not included on their website. They contacted alot of people when they first opened. I went to check them out and then again with sara Farouk and Lorna Gow. Lorna got the most pretty costume for the Nile Pharoah, she said she has had loads of compliments and enquiries about it.

Perhaps you could do something like... ideas for first visit, ideas for second and susequent visits etc. I find people often come to cairo and do the same things over and over again!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
[snip]
The khan el khalili in there is a little expensive but you can get some unusual looking jewerllery and interesting crafts. You can also go the the Fayrouz restaurant next door and have a really good evening. The food is great and last time I saw Suraya dance. I dont go there that often, we tend to use it for the cinema and something to do on cold winter nights in Cairo.

I am surprised you have not checked out Oriental Moon. They have been open since about October and they do some really nice costumes that are not included on their website. They contacted alot of people when they first opened. I went to check them out and then again with sara Farouk and Lorna Gow. Lorna got the most pretty costume for the Nile Pharoah, she said she has had loads of compliments and enquiries about it.

Perhaps you could do something like... ideas for first visit, ideas for second and susequent visits etc. I find people often come to cairo and do the same things over and over again!

Besides Khan el khalali if it is considered expensive where would you suggest buying jewellery from? Costume jewellery and other. Is there nice silver bracelets around? I much prefer silver to gold.
~Mosaic

I could have told you where to get belly dance costumes or hip scarf if I saw this thread before.

I am a little confused about this reply. Adiva, the original poster was asking about shopping in Turkey and Egypt as she is going on holiday. I don't think she is looking for online shops. Also there are lots of nice hipscarves on line that IMO are much nicer, in style, quality and cost, than miss bellydance. Example - King of the Nile is just one of many.

Last edited by a moderator:

gisela

Super Moderator
I think it's a spammer as she/he/it has replied with the same link in other threads. Grrrr.

Caroline_afifi

Besides Khan el khalali if it is considered expensive where would you suggest buying jewellery from? Costume jewellery and other. Is there nice silver bracelets around? I much prefer silver to gold.
~Mosaic

There is a section of city stars called 'the khan el khalili; it is a bit over priced but they have pieces you do not find in the real khan and better quality. Money is realtive and anything is what you think it is worth.

There are silver shops dotted around Cairo. Silver is by weight so dont fall for the bull about design, which is what you often get in the Khan.

If you are looking for the old style for tribal, there is a shop in the khan but unless you know it, it is difficult to explain. Not much help here am I!