So glad to have found you all.

Missybell

Hiya,

My name is Jess, I'm 24 and from NSW, Australia. It's so wonderful to find this community, I discovered these forums by following a link from a blog promoted in a newsletter sent out from a store that I bought my first coin scarf from - what a find!

I've been bellydancing for just over a year and can't begin to describe how wonderful it makes me feel. I found a flyer for a local class while getting lunch in a sandwich shop one day and it took about 6 months to call up and join a class. From the very first lesson I knew I was going to love it, the dancing itself is great for exercise as well as relaxing and having some time out for myself, but more so the positive attitudes and inclusion of women of all ages, sizes, backgrounds and experiences is a great thing to be a part of.

I've performed in a beginners group dance at a half year dance school halfa, and the intermediate group dance at our end of year harem night which were both great introductions to getting up on stage in front of a friendly bunch. Just recently I took part in my first public performance at a local Folk Festival in group performances again and it's so encouraging to feel confident doing that, especially with the support of my teacher and new friends from the school.

Anyway, can't wait to talk all things bellydance with you all. Till then take care.

KuteNurse

welcome! There are lots of great Aussies here including but not limited too...Slinks (If you find her bring her back!), and Mosaic. I hope you have a great time here.

staranise

Hey Missybell, I am from newcastle! who are you studying with down there in wollongong?

are you going to the tribal soiree in march? if so, I'll see you there!

Missybell

I'm studying with Virginia at Cinnamon Twist. She's a wonderful teacher and exposes us to many different styles but I guess you'd say it's mostly folk and contemporary influences (still learning so I hope I have understood that correctly). Not much in the way of tribal but I know there is another school down here with a heavy tribal influence which really interests me. Hoping to maybe branch out sometime in the future.

Which soiree is it? I haven't really been to any workshops or gatherings outside those that my school are involved in but Virginia does tell us about a lot of the bigger Sydney gatherings and often organises group trips so I will find out about it!

staranise

tribal jewels are probably the school you are thinking of. They are running a student soiree in Wollongong on the 15th of march... since it's so close to your home and you're a tad interested in tribal, I definately recommend it!

they run every 3 or so months, alternating venues, and dancers come from all over NSW and interstate to perform and shop. Paulette Rees Denis Gypsy Caravan Dance Company ~ Paulette Rees-Denis is touring australia too, and she's running workshops that weekend in wollongong, which I can't afford to attend but I'm still excited!

plus I'll be performing for the first time that night. eeeek!

Last edited:

Missybell

Thanks so much for the information, that was really helpful and I really appreciate it. I think you're right I'll definately have to look into the soiree - though I have the worst feeling there's something else on that weekend... just looked up and saw concert tickets for the 16th but I'm sure I'll fit some bellydancing in around it.

I remember enquiring at Tribal Jewels when I was looking for a new class, the one I'm at now was in a more convenient location for me, but it looks like TB are also moving in closer so... how about this - I'll ask my teacher about the upcoming soiree and express my interest (it's not only the curteous thing to do but I'm sure she'll have more info for me to). All things going well I'll go check it out and send you lots of positive belly vibes for your performance, I'm sure you'll be great, and best of all you'll have a great time!

Should the tribal flame be ignited... maybe I could pick up a second class at the other school later in the year. Double the practise and a new style.

Thanks again!

Maria_Aya

Welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!
And pls give a HUGE hug to Virginia from Maria Aya from Greece !!!
Also pls if possible send me by privite message her e-mail as I have some things to mail her to Australia from previous workshops that we were together.
You are very lucky, Virginia is such a dancer/teacher but most of all amazing and caring and sweet personality.

Kisses
Maria Aya, Greece

Missybell

Welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!
And pls give a HUGE hug to Virginia from Maria Aya from Greece !!!
Also pls if possible send me by privite message her e-mail as I have some things to mail her to Australia from previous workshops that we were together.
You are very lucky, Virginia is such a dancer/teacher but most of all amazing and caring and sweet personality.

Kisses
Maria Aya, Greece

You're absolutely right, Virginia is a wonderful teacher, a beautiful dancer and such a kind, nurturing person. She also does a magnificent job organising/running the school, our halfa/harem night gatherings and outside performances.

I'll pass on your greetings and hugs, and have sent you contact info in a private message :)