Who do you consider living Legends in bellydance?

Maria_Aya

Hi all :)
This came as a spin-off idea from the thread about "Reda or National Folk group?"

So my question is this:

Who do you consider living Legends and people we got to hurry to study with them (God bless them and keep them active for many many many years more)?

For me:
Mahmoud Reda (studied with him already)

Farida Fahmy (amazing lady and teacher)

Dawlat Ibrahim (i'm crying everytime in her class)
I believe Dawlat is not so well known.
She is one of the most famous egyptian choreographers. She was trainer and choreographer for the Khaomeya Troupe and later she become one of the trainers and choreographers for many famous egyptian dancers such as:
Fifi Abdo, Nagua Fuad, Zizi Moustafa, Sahar Hamdi, Samya Hamada, Hala Zafy, Dina and many many others.
I want to share my personal experience in her lesson.
She is quite aged and heavy so she cant move, her sons lead her to a chair and sits in the middle of the class. She arrange as in a way that she can see all of us. Unfortunately her classes are not full (or maybe fortunately;) for us that attend) as most dancers want the teacher to be very active.
Her son teach the choreo and she stops us and correct, stand with help and walk to us, hug us in the class, whisper in our ear... alf mabrouk habebti (and we go on tears), speak to us about her life and how was it dancing in the 40's at Cairo and Mohamed Ali street. For me she is the living soul of dance in Cairo now.

Beside Egyptian teachers/dancers.

I consider a Living Legend Jamilla Salimbour, and would love to be in her class for once.

Also Rhea of Greece and we are lucky for having her here, with her always active and kind of crazy lol spirit (btw i'm going with her vacations at Cairo on March !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Nesrin TopKapi from Turkey !!!!! she is a must (and a young and active must)

Come'on add your Living Legends.

Maria Aya :)

Jane

Carolena Nericcio
Veda Sereem
Artemis Mourat
Eva Cernik
Bert Baladine
Ibrahim Farrah
Laurel Victoria Grey
Habiba

Morocco
Nesrin Topkapi
Raquia Hassan
I've hd a seminar and Master class with Artemis Mourat. Great Lady. Let me tell you this story:
In November, Aegela sponsored Artemis(their friends) for a Turkish Workshop, show and a Master Class the following day. Well saturday night after the show, my teacher another student and I were in our hotel room. It was late and my teacher and I were finally getting ready to go to bed, when there was a knock at the door. "Who could that be?" We wondered, well as Ameenah opened the door, in came a tiny Lady wearing a gray coat over her night gown. It was Artemis!!!:D She and Aegela were in the room next door!:cool:
She asked"We still have some food from the seminar and we we wondering if you wanted some more?"
AAAAHHHH!!! Yes! So we scurried next door, while Artemis was packng her suitcase and we noshed on some more food. I sat there thinking the whole time"I'm in a hotel room with Artemis....wow..look at her..I can't believe it!" She was so sweet and down to earth, I tried to keep my cool, but that was the best part of the seminar weekend, just laying, chatting like old friends with Artemis Mourat! How cool was that!
Yasmine

Aisha Azar

Legends

Dear Gang,
I have been able to study with most of the legends that I want to study with.
I still want to study with Aida Nour, Sema Yildiz.
I regret that I will never be able to study with Suheir Zaki.
Of the new crop of dancers, though they are not legends, I want to study Egyptian belly dance with Randa and Turkish Roman with Reyhan
I seem to have a small wish list, but I know what I want!!
Regards,
A'isha

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I sat there thinking the whole time"I'm in a hotel room with Artemis....wow..look at her..I can't believe it!" She was so sweet and down to earth, I tried to keep my cool, but that was the best part of the seminar weekend, just laying, chatting like old friends with Artemis Mourat! How cool was that!
Yasmine

LOL! Isn't it cool that our mega-stars aren't divas? (Well, most of them, anyway!) I hadn't been dancing that long before I went to a Shareen el Safy workshop, and since it was out-of-town for me, and I didn't really know anybody, the workshop organizer sort of took me under her wing and invited me to eat lunch with them. There I sat, next to Shareen el Safy herself, and I kept thinking the whole time "I'm actually sitting next to a woman who danced in Egypt. Right next to her!" I think she even passed me the Sweet n Low!

I'm still star-struck when I see my heroes at workshops. I can barely manage to scrape together 4 words when I see Morocco! :) I wonder if that ever goes away?
:D

janaki

where do I begin Maria??

All egyptian greats of course!

Nesrin Tokapi from Turkey

Jamila Shalimpour, Aisha Ali from US

Hadia and Yasmina Ramzy from Canada

Dr Mo Goddawi from Germany.cairo

Amani and Mona Abi said from Lebanon

Oh god, there are too many.....

Aisha Azar

Shareen

LOL! Isn't it cool that our mega-stars aren't divas? (Well, most of them, anyway!) I hadn't been dancing that long before I went to a Shareen el Safy workshop, and since it was out-of-town for me, and I didn't really know anybody, the workshop organizer sort of took me under her wing and invited me to eat lunch with them. There I sat, next to Shareen el Safy herself, and I kept thinking the whole time "I'm actually sitting next to a woman who danced in Egypt. Right next to her!" I think she even passed me the Sweet n Low!

I'm still star-struck when I see my heroes at workshops. I can barely manage to scrape together 4 words when I see Morocco! :) I wonder if that ever goes away?
:D

Dear Aziyade,
Of everyone with whom I have ever studied, and in 34 years the number is pretty vast, Shareen El Safy is my very favorite teacher. There is something about the way that she presents that makes me understand exactly what she is saying. I do disagree with her about posture, but in class I do as she says. I see posture as a much more dynamic thing than she seems to in class.She is my all time favorite teacher for several reasons:
She gets that the dance is not western in the way in which it is executed, and can demonstrate that in class as well as on stage.
She has a way of being able to see clearly how to help the individual dancer. Even in a room of 60 people, she still sees YOU. This is a rare trait in workshop presenters.
She is very down to earth.
We know a lot of the same people and she is up for a good catch-up session!
Regards,
A'isha

Marya

How about living legends to be?

The best Oriental dancers I have ever seen live and hopefully they will one day be living legends are: (in no particular order)

Cassandra Shore
Aisha Azar
Jennet (Janet Shook, now living in Turkey)
Helene Eriksen
Fatima (The one from Africa whose daughter also dances)

My current video star is Aida Nour

Marya

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Legends

Dear Marya,
Wow, thank you!! To be on the same list with Jennet and Cassandra makes me feel very special!!

Everybody, Jennet is so fabulous and not many people know about her yet, but hopefully they will. My dance company has sponsored her twice and for our money, she is the best Turkish style dancer out there who is not Turkish! She spends a lot of time in Turkey and she might be there right now. She is trying to bring Reyhan, the Rom dancer to the States again and I hope that works out because I want to study with her.
Regards, A'isha

Maria_Aya

The best Oriental dancers I have ever seen live and hopefully they will one day be living legends are: (in no particular order)

Cassandra Shore
Aisha Azar
Jennet (Janet Shook, now living in Turkey)
Helene Ericksen
Fatima (The one from Africa whose daughter also dances)

My current video star is Aida Nour

Marya

Heyyyyyy I meant Living Legends that are more than 60 + not our hot and steaming and sexy and gorgeous Aisha Azar !!!

And here is my secret plan for April while being at Cairo.
Aisha Azar will be there, I've organized to kidnap her with some other greeks !! lock her in a room, and since I have inside confidential goverment informations that she is a sweet freak (like me he he) I'll torture her with special sweets from Greece until she say yes and give us some lessons ...

Now shhhhhhhhhhhh.... no-one tell to her;)

Kisses
Maria Aya
:cool:

p.s. I have already studied with Morocco thats why she is not in my wish list, but again... who ever denied another workshop with her;)

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Cairo

Heyyyyyy I meant Living Legends that are more than 60 + not our hot and steaming and sexy and gorgeous Aisha Azar !!!

Aisha Azar will be there, I've organized to kidnap her with some other greeks !! lock her in a room, and since I have inside confidential goverment informations that she is a sweet freak (like me he he) I'll torture her with special sweets from Greece until she say yes and give us some lessons ...

Kisses
Maria Aya

Dear Aya,
Will you please become my international spokeswoman?? I LOVE the hot and steaming and sexy part!!! And I am so excited that we will finally meet in Cairo!!
Love, A'isha

Mya

Maria Aya you be sure to release her by September when i plan to make her disappear for many hours at a time to teach me!

Marya

ohhh

Kisses
Maria Aya

Well, I am pretty sure Fatima is over 60.

Sweets work every time with Aisha, and she does like to share.

Marya

Aisha Azar

legends

Dear Gang,
I have only 5 years to go before I reach legend age, then!! I DO love sweets. Shakira of Ohio once shared a room with me when we were teaching a workshop together and reported to dancers far and wide that I am a "Hummingbird". Mark Balahadia nags me about it, but DaVid, a man after my own heart, also believes that dessert is the most important meal of the day! Mark stares at me with his beautiful eyes and says, "Do you really need that 5th piece of cake, A'isha?" What a spoilsport. Good thing he has a cute ass and dances way fabulously!!
Regards,
A'isha

cathy

Morocco

In case anyone doesn't already know this, Morocco is a foremost
authority in Oriental dance and related Middle Eastern & North
African dances (& rituals) and has been gathering first-hand
experience through regular indepth visits to the Middle East for
over 45 years now. She has been performing since 1960, leading tour
groups all over the Middle East for over 30 years and teaching dance
even longer, both in her studio in NYC, in seminars all over the US,
Europe, and beyond, and for several years now in Cairo at Ahlan Wa
Sahlan at the invitation of Raqia Hassan.

Anyone who has been fortunate enough to study with her has
experienced her extremely well-thought-out warmup, which covers the
entire movement vocabulary in a precise order, going from largest
and most external muscles to smaller and more internal ones. In the
main part of the class she employs quite a few different teaching
techniques including repeating sections and then adding new sections
(for seminars), "follow along" choreography followed by breaking
down parts the class had trouble with, doing improv two or three
ways to the same song, and many others. It's always accurate, it's
always real, and it's always fun. I have been lucky enough to study
with her for about five years and only find there is more all the
time for me to absorb. (As she could attest!)

Morocco knows her stuff--the history, the cultural context, the
costuming, the music, the people, what influenced whom--because she
has been there and done that. Plus she's wicked smart, cool, and
funny. I often say to myself that 90% of the questions that come up
on this forum are ones that she has the answers to, which is why I
am so looking forward to her book.

If anything I'm understating all this. For more info and to find out where
and when she might be coming near you go to: Welcome to Morocco's Meanderings

P.S. She's human too! If you have the chance to study with her and talk to her,
after you get over the first four words, you will feel like the conversation could--should--
go on forever. I know I do. :)

Cathy

Last edited: