Stockholm Belly Dance Festival 2008

Suheir

index

Wow! The line-up is better than ever!

Mahmoud Reda, Aida Nour, Lubna, Asmahan (Cairo), Freiz, Nour, Liza Laziza, Leila (Cairo), Khaled Mahmoud, Tito, Magdy El Leisy, Ahmed Fekry, Khazafy, Ousama Emam, Zahra, Maher Kisck, Virginia (USA), Yasser, plus 24 teachers from Europe/USA.

I've been to this festival for the past three years and had such an amazing time, it's held at the Royal Swedish Ballet School so there are changing rooms, showers and proper studios and a beautiful theatre for the fantastic shows.

Sadly, I'm out of action for the forseeable future as I recently sprained both ankles very badly and tore ligaments but I recommed this festival to everybody.

Maria_Aya

Someday I'll go !!!!
Suzanne (Zeina) and her husband Mohamed do a great job on organizing and everything.

Hey Suheir I'm sorry for your ankles :(

Maria Aya

gisela

Super Moderator
I'm going! Have been checking the page almost everyday for information and finally...!!! At the first glance I'm thinking Aida Nour, Lubna Emam and Tito. Maybe Zeina... and I would also love some balady. An other recommendations? I want to experience the egyptian style.

Oooh I'm so excited!

And I'm sorry too, Suheir. That doesn't sound good. I was thinking of you, that you might come to SBDF.
Anyone else?

gisela

Super Moderator
Yay! I have a confirmation on my reservations and I have bought the train tickets. Now I have to find somewhere to stay. Luckily I have a lot of friends and even some relatives in Stockholm so I hope someone will take me in.
Here's my program for the festival. I can hardly wait. Finally I will get to study with some of the great egyptians:

Khaled Mahmoud Cairo Baladi Style Intermediate level
Thursday 1/5/08 Kl: 10-12.30

Lubna Emam Oriental Advanced Level, Thursday 1/5/08
Kl:13.15-15.45

Asmahan Classical Oriental Oum Khaltoum Adv/Prof. Level,
Thursday 1/5/08 16-18.30

Tito Oriental Advanced level, Friday 2/5/08 Kl:10.00-12.30

Aida Nour Egyptian Shabi Intermediate level, Friday 2/5/08

Asmahan Dynamic Veil Interm/Adv. Level, Saturday 3/5/08

Zeina Oriental Mixed level, Saturday 3/5/08 Kl: 16.15-17.45

Aida Nour Aidas Style Mixed level, Sunday 4/5/08 Kl:

I hope to get a basic understanding of the egyptian style and I chose Asmahan to hopefully learn some "Oh-la-la-Ompf" to apply to my performance.

Doesn't seem as anyone else here is going but maybe you will change your minds?:pray:

I will report from my stockholm adventure, I promise.

Suheir

Yay! I have a confirmation on my reservations and I have bought the train tickets. Now I have to find somewhere to stay. Luckily I have a lot of friends and even some relatives in Stockholm so I hope someone will take me in.
Here's my program for the festival. I can hardly wait. Finally I will get to study with some of the great egyptians:

Khaled Mahmoud Cairo Baladi Style Intermediate level
Thursday 1/5/08 Kl: 10-12.30

Lubna Emam Oriental Advanced Level, Thursday 1/5/08

Asmahan Classical Oriental Oum Khaltoum Adv/Prof. Level,
Thursday 1/5/08 16-18.30

Tito Oriental Advanced level, Friday 2/5/08 Kl:10.00-12.30

Aida Nour Egyptian Shabi Intermediate level, Friday 2/5/08

Asmahan Dynamic Veil Interm/Adv. Level, Saturday 3/5/08

Zeina Oriental Mixed level, Saturday 3/5/08 Kl: 16.15-17.45

Aida Nour Aidas Style Mixed level, Sunday 4/5/08 Kl:

I hope to get a basic understanding of the egyptian style and I chose Asmahan to hopefully learn some "Oh-la-la-Ompf" to apply to my performance.

Doesn't seem as anyone else here is going but maybe you will change your minds?:pray:

I will report from my stockholm adventure, I promise.

You have great taste in workshops! :lol:

You'll have a wonderful time, the shows also look fantastic (as usual). I'm sorry I can't be there this year but I need to make sure all my torn ankle ligaments are properly recovered before I can even contemplate workshops or classes.

I *love* Khaled's baladi, he is great at demonstrating the difference between Oriental and beladi movements. Aida is always in a good mood in Stockholm :D and Zeina is an excellent teacher. I haven't been to Asmahan.

taheya

Wow what a line up!! Thanks for poting about this Suheir, Ill definately consider going next year! Is it the same sort of prices as the UK festivals? Sorry to hear about your ankles, i can imagine it is so frustraing but you will get there in time.

gisela

Super Moderator
For the 2,5 hours workshops you pay 350 swedish crowns, which equals around £35 (I don't know today's exchange rate, but I think £1 is around 10 sek).
For the shorter workshops it's 175 sek and lower. The shows are 150 sek each. There are three: thursday, friday and saturday.

I will have to pay around £280 in total incl 2 shows. A lot of money but I have turned other things down this year to make room for this as I feel it will be SOOO worth it.

How are the prices in the UK?

Last edited:

Salma Parvaneh

Wow!

35 P for 2,5 h Workshop is quite cheap, esp, for such great teachers!

Such a pity that I have not enough money for the travel and toooo less time for this festival.

But I wish you all fun and joy and good inspirations by the teachers and please write a little bit about it when it is finished.

KR
Salma

Nicki

Gisela,
I`m also attending Khaled Mahmoud´s workshop on Thursday and Aida Nour´s on Friday! And a couple of other....And also the three shows...
I´m just as exited as you are.....
I´m sure we´ll have a great time there, loved it last year!

gisela

Super Moderator
Hi Caroline,
The dates this year are May 1-4. It takes place once a year as you said but the same organizers also have two smaller festivals usually in november and march called "Cairo by night". I have never attended these myself but since I've been longing to go for many years I have eagerly been studying their homepage. :)

Suheir

My teacher, Melissa Abraham, has been attending the Stockholm Belly Dance Festival since the first one and it's just got bigger and better every year. The Egyptian teachers are always in a good mood (even the normally grumpy ones!) and the level of students in the Advanced classes really *is* advanced so if you want to be pushed, it's a great festival to attend. :D

Caroline_afifi

I just had a quick look at flights, there are three airports so which is the best?
also accomodation etc. where is the best and how much and any other info??
thanks, x

gisela

Super Moderator
hmm not sure which three airports you mean. In Stockholm the biggest one is "Arlanda" and a smaller one is "Bromma". They would have decent transfer into city. Any other airports are probably nearby cities that offer transfer to stockholm as well but it can take time. A bit like Stanstead perhaps? Absolutely doable if you get a good price but there's quite a long busdrive.

I can't advice on accomodations since I always stay with some relatives.

Khaira

Hi everyone,

Im going to Stockholm festival as well. Im taking workshops from teachers who's lessons I havn't attended before:

Aida's Om Kalthoum
Freiz's Eskanderani
Nour's tabla and baladi
Leyla's oriental
Reda's coctail
Liza's khaleegy
Maher's assaya (been at this class before)
Shaba's choreo

Hope to see You there:)

Khaira

gilda1979

hola!!!!

I will go to this festival also... I will take workshops with Mahmoud Reda, Freiz, Tito, Aida Nour, Liza Laziza, Ousama Emam and Kazafy.... I'm so excited to dance with them again, I met all of them in Egypt and they are really nice and the workshops amazing...

see you in the festival :dance:

gilda

Deliana

Now I finally decided on what workshops to take.
Being a newbie in the field I'm too nervous to take more than 2 classes. Maybe I'll do more next year.

I'm taking the Tribal workshop with Ulla Edenmark and then the Oriental technique (intermediate level) with Lubna Eman.

Anyone here taken classes with any of the teachers mentioned above before? If so, are they very difficult?

I just hope there's room for me in the classes, I haven't received a confirmation email yet....

I'm thinking of going to maybe two of the dance shows as well.

Agghhh this is my first dance festival, I'm a bit nervous actually but it's going to be sooo much fun!

Last edited:

Khaira

Dear Deliana,

I haven't been to Ulla's class, but Lubna is a lovely patient teacher. I think the workshops You have chosen will not be hard for You:)

Also, when I first went to Stockholm I dacided as well to take tickets for two nights but afer I went to them I immediately purchased tickets for other nights as well;)

Khaira