Just a friendly reminder...

Amber

I just want to remind everyone to be nice to others in your Belly Dance community, no matter what.

Im seeing some things in my community that I don't like, and Id just like to remind everyone that no matter what, you should always treat other dancers with respect and kindness.

Thats all,

Sorry for interrupting your regularly scheduled programing. :D

*hugs to all*

KuteNurse

Hi Amber,

My first instructor was not so nice along with some members of her troupe so I switched and now things are great. My instructor is wonderful, kind and smart and a good teacher. The students are equally as nice and respectful. I know where you are coming from. I will make a point to be extra nice to everyone:)

adiemus

Thanks for the thought - perhaps though it's also good to reflect that if we do see poor teaching/inappropriate treatment of students/teachers perhaps this is a good place to discuss and find out whether our suspicions are founded and perhaps learn how to deal with it? Not to become a whinge-fest, but also to avoid the 'nice nice' stuff that perpetuates some really bad behaviour amongst both students and teachers. Just a thought.

Suheir

Always be friendly and polite but remember, as my friend says: The Still Water Is Full Of Crocodiles! ;)

Aisha Azar

Dance

I just want to remind everyone to be nice to others in your Belly Dance community, no matter what.

Im seeing some things in my community that I don't like, and Id just like to remind everyone that no matter what, you should always treat other dancers with respect and kindness.

Thats all,

Sorry for interrupting your regularly scheduled programing. :D

*hugs to all*

Dear Amber,
After umptey nine years of being in a community myself, I have seen some pretty gruesome things happen in the name of dance, including horrendous back stabbing, people claiming credentials that they don't have, dancing for free in venues that should be paid, VERY bad dancing, etc. I can tell you that I am no longer willing to go the sweetness and light route with just everyone. In the end, it does not pay off for dancers or the dance. Be polite when you should. Speak out against drek.
Regards,
A'isha

*elly belly*

Thanks for reminding everyone! I get treated pretty bad sometimes =( but i respect everyone and try to be nice to everyone =)

adiemus

A'isha - yup, would love to add to your rep but can't! Well said.

Respect doesn't mean you need to like what another is doing, but to be 'esteemed or honored', 'to show regard or consideration for' - while still remaining true to your own opinions and standards.

lizaj

Sometimes honesty is the best way but there are ways and there are ways...

You cannot kill discussion..isn't that what we are here for?

Aisha Azar

Dance

Dear Gang,
What I have seen deteriorate greatly is respect for the dance itself. We have spent so much time being politically correct, not wanting to hurt other peoples' feelings, being quiet at some of the hideous stuff that is going on in the name of "belly dance", that we have forgotten what this is supposed to be all about. So we get stuff like we get Sadie and Kaya and friends doing Cunnilingus Belly Dance at Rakassah. It took something as ridiculous as THAT before most people even dared to speak out. I think we all ought to be ashamed of ourselves for being so disrespectful of the dance we claim to love, that we would let it get that far.
Regards,
A'isha

Amber

Eh, dont get me wrong! Im not saying sit there and allow BS to happen when it does.... Im not saying dont speak out. Im basically saying try your hardest not to start anything.

I dont want to be too specific, but right now I am watching a situation unfold between some dancers in my community that is just RIDICULOUS. Backstabbing, gossip, deliberately tripping up other dancers, blatant lying etc etc... its disgusting and it could all be avoided if everybody just kept their mouths shut and would be nice.

Im not sure what to do, it just keeps getting worse and worse, the parties involved are trying to pull me into the fight, and honestly its at the point where Im either going to have to forcefully tell them to leave me out of it, or stop dancing.

:(

Aisha Azar

Dance

Eh, dont get me wrong! Im not saying sit there and allow BS to happen when it does.... Im not saying dont speak out. Im basically saying try your hardest not to start anything.

I dont want to be too specific, but right now I am watching a situation unfold between some dancers in my community that is just RIDICULOUS. Backstabbing, gossip, deliberately tripping up other dancers, blatant lying etc etc... its disgusting and it could all be avoided if everybody just kept their mouths shut and would be nice.

Im not sure what to do, it just keeps getting worse and worse, the parties involved are trying to pull me into the fight, and honestly its at the point where Im either going to have to forcefully tell them to leave me out of it, or stop dancing.

:(

Dear Amber,
The most important thing here is that you try to remember that there is a difference between the dance itself and the dancers. If every dancer in my community hated me, it would not stop me from dancing. Dancers will sometimes let you down, stab you in the back, try to get your gig, etc. The dance itself will never do any of those things.
Even in saying that you will not take a stand, you are likely to make these kinds of dancers angry, so you have to put your faith in the dance and not in other dancers. If you choose to stop dancing because of social pressure from other dancers, that is your choice and your responsibility. If you choose stay in spite of that social pressure, it is also your choice and your responsibility.
I know this is difficult. Years ago I walked away from the only dance company in town because of he vicious backbiting, jealous, nasty stuff that went on. It was one of the hardest decisions I ever made. I walked away from the dancers, but not the dance. Years later, I can say "Thank God!!".
Regards,
A'isha

Amber

Dear Amber,
The most important thing here is that you try to remember that there is a difference between the dance itself and the dancers. If every dancer in my community hated me, it would not stop me from dancing. Dancers will sometimes let you down, stab you in the back, try to get your gig, etc. The dance itself will never do any of those things.
Even in saying that you will not take a stand, you are likely to make these kinds of dancers angry, so you have to put your faith in the dance and not in other dancers. If you choose to stop dancing because of social pressure from other dancers, that is your choice and your responsibility. If you choose stay in spite of that social pressure, it is also your choice and your responsibility.
I know this is difficult. Years ago I walked away from the only dance company in town because of he vicious backbiting, jealous, nasty stuff that went on. It was one of the hardest decisions I ever made. I walked away from the dancers, but not the dance. Years later, I can say "Thank God!!".
Regards,
A'isha

Thanks for this. I appreciate it. I really agree with what you are saying.

At this point, both parties are pulling me in to take their side, and I am very afraid, because no matter what I choose, I loose in the end. If I pick either side, I will end up loosing something very valuable to me, if I remain neutral, don't pick a side, and keep dancing both parties will hate me and I stand to potentially loose TWO things.

If I walk away from it all, I loose it ALL. So Im very stressed out right now. :(