Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Stealing Students".... HUNH???

Dear Gang,
    I get posts from another forum on which, for some reason I can not post. On that forum right now is the subject of "stealing students". I get VERY frustrated with the idea that some teachers have, that they own their students and that the student is free only to study with them or with people they sponsor.
    A student, or for that member a company member or other colleague is free to
    study with whomever they choose. In fact, in my company, dancers can even belong to other dance companies. I have company members and students who also study with other dancers. I encourage it.
    Where does this idea come from that teachers can tell students who to study with? I don't get it, but it REALLY makes me mad.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

... and again I cant give you more reputation before i spread more around grrr

total agree with you

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you . Teachers do not own students. I know from personal experience that I've had to change teachers when I discovered that the current teacher I had was teaching less in class and relying on teaching us more choreography and turned the intermediate class into a performing class without any announcement. Shortly after, I moved but not before I started taking from an egyptian style teacher who had studied in Cairo. If I had not moved, I would have switched completely.
    Sometimes we have to go to multiple teachers or change to get what we need.

Post Thanks / Like

and i agree to !!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never understood that whole "stealing students" and "teacher loyalty" stuff.

Personally, I think people who buy into the idea that students have to remain with one teacher and OWE her some kind of "loyalty" -- those are the people who view dance class as more of an emotional psychotherapy session rather than a DANCE class.

I teach with an older, more experienced dancer, and some of our students end up switching classes. I get some of her students; she gets some of mine. We each have our own personalities, and different students find one or the other of us easier to learn from. Of course, we also teach on different nights, so it may not be our personalities at all. But neither of us consider the other to be "stealing" students.

Now there ARE rude business practices, like sending out emails or letters to the other teacher's students advertising YOUR classes for less money. I don't consider that ethical, and I GUESS you could call that stealing students.

I was admonished by a well-know instructor around these parts for not having LOYALTY to my first teacher because I went elsewhere for classes. Um, that first teacher didn't donate a kidney to me, and she wasn't a godparent to my child. I respect her for being my first teacher, but I grew out of what she was teaching and went elsewhere for my OWN reasons. I owe that first teacher nothing. I paid my bill before I left.

When you investigate some of these people you start to realize they actually have psychological and emotional issues -- or even outright mental illnesses. I have sympathy for people with such problems, but I still don't owe them my allegiance.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    When you investigate some of these people you start to realize they actually have psychological and emotional issues -- or even outright mental illnesses. I have sympathy for people with such problems, but I still don't owe them my allegiance.
    I think you're right. Some of them obviously have a need for attention and worship and seem to thrive on having hordes of adoring acolytes. Then again, there are also emotionally needy and manipulative students for whom learning to dance isn't the main aim of attending class.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to learn from a few different teacher's to get some diversity. With the way I learn, it is best to learn one type at a time so I don't get them mixed up. If my instructor's have problems with this, I won't even consider taking their classes.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG!!! yeah... I think it is actually IMPORTANT to learn from MORE than one teacher... for SOOO many reasons....
    I had one encounter w/ a teacher who thought I was "stealing" students... when in actuality just as many of "my" students had crossed over to"the other side"... (but for me it is enough if I have "infected" somebody w/ the love of dance.... maybe THAT is a bit creepy) I understand that you cannot learn EVERYTHING from one teacher... that is why when we get into high school & beyond we have 5-6 classes w/ DIFFERENT teachers per day!!!

it is interesting...(the weird "loyalty" issue) & I think it IS a bit psychological..... in fact it sort of creeps me out if a student gets "TOO" loyal to me.... it reminds me years ago.. there were rumors of a bit of a feud btwn me & another local teacher... when we FINALLY talked to EACH other about it.... it seems it was fueled by some of our students.... & their "loyalties".... eeeeekkkkk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stealing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Suheir View Post
    I think you're right. Some of them obviously have a need for attention and worship and seem to thrive on having hordes of adoring acolytes. Then again, there are also emotionally needy and manipulative students for whom learning to dance isn't the main aim of attending class.
    Dear Suheir,
    I think we have all had a couple of those kinds of students. The kind who wants a private lesson and then talks all during it, about other things than the dance. Or they seem to pout if you pay too much attention to anyone else, and then find an excuse to need more help than they really do. Or they find reasons to call you at home all the time and seem to want a soul deep friendship more than a teacher. Usually they have not lasted too long in my classes. I am not into acolytes or energy vampires, so I guess they just move on.

Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who thinks students are some sort of stealable commodity can't have much respect for her students IMO. . I mean, helloooo, we aren't just a bunch of dozy sheep, we have minds of our own, we can prefer different teaching/dancing styles, and might even change teachers because a different night fits better with our other commitments.

I agree, these folk have Issues.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast