Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    V.I.P.
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Europe - London
    Posts
    1,227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Local Teachers Who Work Together

    Many of us have examples of teachers with out-of-control egos who are unable to cope with "competition", but how about examples of teachers who work together?

    I travelled to South Wales a couple of years ago to take workshops with Khaled Mahmoud, organised by Safeena. Many of my fellow students in the Advanced workshop were local teachers and the organiser told me that they all worked together to promote each other's events. There's a great website which promotes events in that area, run by a local DJ: Arabesq - Middle Eastern beats and belly dance in Wales - Arabesque

  2. #2
    V.I.P. karena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The North, UK
    Posts
    1,854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's what I see happening in my area. I'm not a teacher so maybe I'm oblivious to some undercurrent, but I go to many events where the teachers get together, all the classes get together, and then the teachers perform together. There are teachers outside this group, and who know what politics happen, but the descriptions people give of teachers back-stabbing each other are just so alien to me.

  3. #3
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Teachers, etc.

    Dear Gang,
    I wish that were true in my area. Of course, we do have a terrible market glut here and that may be part of the problem, along with personal hostilities based on real and imagined slights. It is hard to be nice when other teachers purposely book their events as close to yours as possible, or claim knowledge that they do not have in order to compete, etc. Yesterday my dance company sponsored a Belly Dance Swap meet. One person outside our group bought tables to sell her used items. We had the majority of buyers from one group of students, with representative buyers from two other groups, and two groups were conspicuously absent. We sent the exact same flyers to everyone, inviting all groups to participate either as sellers or buyers. These people will not bend even to benefit their students! I need to clarify that my students and dance company members DO attend events sponsored by these people. I have quite attending events sponsored by one of them because she does everything she can to undermine me and my dancers, but I do not expect my dancers to stay away just because I do.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Last edited by Aisha Azar; 03-09-2008 at 09:11 PM.

  4. #4
    V.I.P.
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Europe - London
    Posts
    1,227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dwear Gang,
    I wish that were true in my area. Of course, we do have a terrible market glut here and that may be part of the problem, along with personal hostilities based on real and imagined slights. It is hard to be nice when other teachers purposely book their events as close to yours as possible, or claim knowledge that they do not have in order to compete, etc. Yesterday my dance company sponsored a Belly Dance Swap meet. One person outside our group bought tables to sell her used items. We had the majority of buyers from one group of students, with representative buyers from two other groups, and two groups were conspicuously absent. We sent the exact same flyers to everyone, inviting all groups to participate either as sellers or buyers. These people will not bend even to benefit their students! I need to clarify that my students and dance company members DO attend events sponsored by these people. I have quite attending events sponsored by one of them because she does everything she can to undermine me and my dancers, but I do not expect my dancers to stay away just because I do.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Has it always been like this in your area, A'isha, or is it just in the last few years? When I started dancing in 1999 it seemed to be the same, familiar teachers in the UK for a good five years and then belly dance suddenly became trendy (mainly due to Shakira, BDSS, etc) and people started appearing from nowhere, some, as you've also found, claiming experience and knowledge that they just don't have.

  5. #5
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Dance, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Suheir View Post
    Has it always been like this in your area, A'isha, or is it just in the last few years? When I started dancing in 1999 it seemed to be the same, familiar teachers in the UK for a good five years and then belly dance suddenly became trendy (mainly due to Shakira, BDSS, etc) and people started appearing from nowhere, some, as you've also found, claiming experience and knowledge that they just don't have.

    Dear Suheir,
    Yeah.... it has pretty much always been that way here, and I was one of the first dancers in town. But, I do not think that belly dancers are alone in this. I know the same thing happens in other kinds of artistic communities, and I have seen it also happen in academic circles, too. I hear it happens in business of just about any kind, etc.
    Regards,
    A'isha

  6. #6
    V.I.P. Maria_Aya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    2,937
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well I cant speak about the majority of greek bellydance community, but the ones that we are practising arabic style, we are connected.
    We work together, we make show's together, we teach workshops together.
    And most of all we respect and love each other, and we spread the word to our students also.

    Kisses
    Maria Aya

  7. #7
    V.I.P. karena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The North, UK
    Posts
    1,854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I should imagine that it reflects the culture within which it is situated. Not a big expert on Greek or American political systems, but from what I see I would imagine America is more neo-liberal, individualist and capitalist than Greece, so perhaps this impacts on people's attitudes. And I could imagine a regional difference in the UK too with the good old north/south divide. Just a view relating something know about, to pop knowledge of other countries, so may be wrong...

  8. #8
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Social attitudes effect dance

    Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    I should imagine that it reflects the culture within which it is situated. Not a big expert on Greek or American political systems, but from what I see I would imagine America is more neo-liberal, individualist and capitalist than Greece, so perhaps this impacts on people's attitudes. And I could imagine a regional difference in the UK too with the good old north/south divide. Just a view relating something know about, to pop knowledge of other countries, so may be wrong...
    Dear Karena,
    I think this is true also, to some extent, however, there are areas in the U.S. where there is a lot of cooperation between dancers. A dancer just moved here from San Diego and she says the dancers there are very cooperative, except for one well known dancer with whom no one else wants to work.
    Regards,
    A'isha

  9. #9
    Moderator Shanazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Rocky Mountains USA
    Posts
    15,289
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There are only two other teachers in the area. They teach together and one is a friendly acquaintance and one is a good friend of mine. They teach in a private studio, I teach through Parks and Rec, and there has never been any animosity between us. I steer the occasional reporter and people seeking to hire dancers to them, they invite my dancers to their haflas and also to perform in public with their group. Sometimes I send them a student who is not a good fit for my classes and vice versa- our teaching methods and styles are quite different. We have very rarely had a student who wants to start an "us and them" rivalry, but once some polite firmness is applied to the matter, the student generally gives up and accepts peaceful co-existence.

  10. #10
    Moderator Zorba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Merritt Island, Fl.
    Posts
    2,575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Teachers in my area always work together, quite well. Which is as it should be...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •