Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, A'isha, I will look at it. I might even change my mind about the mirrors...but I do find exactly what the above students were complaining about. Once the mirror is gone, so is the crutch, and that could be devastating for some people. It also could be that I have just run across these types of students before as well. Who knows?

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by sedoniaraqs View Post
    {shrugs} I guess you can teach cooking also without letting the students taste the food.

I just don't see why anyone would want to deny students one of their main senses for self-feedback and learning.

Wanting to not have mirrors in the room is very different from having mirrors and also using non-visual learning techniques.

Sedonia
    Well said Sedonia!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by Brea View Post
    Thanks, A'isha, I will look at it. I might even change my mind about the mirrors...but I do find exactly what the above students were complaining about. Once the mirror is gone, so is the crutch, and that could be devastating for some people. It also could be that I have just run across these types of students before as well. Who knows?

Dear BRea,
    I would not exactly refer to mirror as a "crutch"; more like an educational tool for dancers,actors, mimes, comedians, singers, professional speakers and others, that when used properly, enhances the learning experience for most students and the teaching experience for most teachers.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear BRea,
    I would not exactly refer to mirror as a "crutch"; more like an educational tool for dancers,actors, mimes, comedians, singers, professional speakers and others, that when used properly, enhances the learning experience for most students and the teaching experience for most teachers.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Sorry Aisha, cant give you more reps, have to try later!

Post Thanks / Like

Shanazel's opening salvo in any beginning class includes some variation of the following, "The mirror is a tool. It is not there to make you self conscious. It is not there to critisize your waistline. It is not there to tell you your eye makeup is smudged. It is not there to allow you to bask in your own reflection. It is there to help you learn."

I would very much hate having to teach a class, especially a beginning class, without a mirror. I also have my students practice while turned away from the mirror, and I have them work at times with their eyes closed, but to learn without ever seeing what you are doing- why on earth would you chose to do that if you didn't have to?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brea View Post
    I think it's that people do learn differently. I have heard that you should teach in at least four different ways (any kind of teaching) because some people learn visually, some physically, etc.
    I guess I'm missing something here. You said earlier that as a teacher, you would prefer to not have mirrors in the classroom. Yet, wouldn't your statement above (which I agree with) argue *for* having mirrors, rather than *not* having them??

It seems to me that if you, as a teacher, were to not have mirrors in your class (because you consider yourself a non-visual learner), you are sacrificing a huge chunk of your ability to teach different ways and to allow your students to learn different ways.

Sedonia

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi everybody,

Okay, admittedly, the reason I feel this way is because I have never used mirrors in class (because there weren't any in the places I was able to teach). I have practiced with other dancers and have seen the things I described above, because there were mirrors set up in that area. It is not my personal learning style that was the difficulty. I have also read previously that it was better not to have them and I understand why. I will see if I can find the link. But yes, Sedonia, you are right. Those different learning styles do argue for mirrors. Perhaps it's best to do it both ways?

However! Since I am starting to teach class in a place with mirrors, I will let you know how I feel about them. I think I'm going to use Shanazel's speech, though!

My curiosity is whether any of you, who have always used mirrors, have ever noticed this tendency at all?
    Last edited by Brea; 02-27-2008 at 12:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The tendency to depend on mirrors? Sure. I have also noticed tendencies to depend on the teacher, depend on being able to hide from the mirror in the back of the room, depend on having one's best friend or mom in class, depend on having one's lucky coin scarf- there are lots of things people come to depend on. Frankly, the dependence on standing in the back or having the teacher always perform wth the group in public is much harder to overcome than dependence on the mirror. It's just a habit, and habits can be broken.

You are welcome to whatever part of the speech you wish to use. My royalties are very reasonable

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Will a glass of absinthe cover those royalties, Shanazel?

Teaching Technique - Belly Dance Instructors - tribe.net

What Samira says is exactly the problem I have seen. I couldn't find the article I was talking about but what she's saying is what I've also experienced.

And....lucky coin belt?

I once had a student who tried to become the teacher because she had previous experience as a bellydancer, and two of the girls got to listening to her more than me. Oh well. She was great at shimmies.

Post Thanks / Like

Will a glass of absinthe cover those royalties, Shanazel?
    About an eighth of a glass will do just fine- I am a wimp when it comes to alcohol. Not as bad as Dorothy Parker (who I paraphrase: "Two glasses of wine and I'm under the host"), but don't expect me to keep up with true worshippers of the green fairy.

I read Samira's commentary. She said,
    I think it makes them a bit more self-conscious knowing everyone can see that they are doing it wrong.
    Part of learning to dance is learning to put one's efforts in to dance-consciousness instead of self-consciousness. It can be a hard lesson to learn, but there you are. I don't get many students who have enough time or curiosity to watch anyone except themselves and me. And I don't have any students who always get everything right, so usually no one gets permanent feelings of superiority.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 02-27-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast