Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    I know that I can take a class in a room with 60 people in it, with no mirrors and still get something from that class. I can definitely state that the class would have been far superior for me if I could visually have checked my work against the instructor's input.
    A related point - in a class that big even with mirrors you're unlikely to be able to see yourself (other than briefly, unless you're the one that walks in late with a noisy, shedding coin belt and stands front centre and won't move ) - but it menas you can see the back of the tutor which can be useful - especially in a crowded space.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    A related point - in a class that big even with mirrors you're unlikely to be able to see yourself (other than briefly, unless you're the one that walks in late with a noisy, shedding coin belt and stands front centre and won't move ) - but it menas you can see the back of the tutor which can be useful - especially in a crowded space.

Dear Kashmir,
    Yes, you can see he back of the instructor. How much more meaningful if you can also see the front of her/him in the mirror. In any case, I just about have had it with attending workshop of that ilk,no matter how famous the instructor.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

After reading this entire thread I feel pretty lucky, I can dance with or without a mirror confidently. How well I'm dancing I don't know for sure but having or not having cues is not an issue for me. Our classroom has a mirrored wall but I'm usually near the back as I'm one of the tallest, and we spend at least 50% of the time facing in different directions (away, perpendicular, or in a circle). I'm a musical person and can count beats and feel the music... I can remember choreogrphy pretty well and find people want to stand next to/behind me so I can cue them. I don't mind it but at the same time I kind of don't get how people can do something one way (lets say start on the right root for something, do a camel to the left) then you ask them to face a different direction and they're completely lost? I can also follow maps without turning them around... is it a spacial awareness thing maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Gang,
    I agree with Sedonia all the way on this. Especially early on, it is really necessary for students to have mirrors. When I go out of town to teach workshops, I always request that the hosts do everything they can to assure we will be working in a venue with mirrors. (Sedonia has sponsored me twice and both time the workshop venue was perfect in every way!! So was everything else. AND, she makes this soup....)) It is both for the benefit of the students and for me, so that I can see the students all at once in a mirror, in some way that I can not when facing them. They need the visual to compliment the feeling the movement gives the body, and to see how they are moving the same or differently from the instructor.

Re the choreography issue- My company rehearses with the mirrors until we have the choreography down. Then we face a different direction and work without them until costume time. Then we face the mirrors again for a bit so they can have the satisfaction of seeing how all elements of the dance work together, music,movement, attitude and costuming to enhance the dance.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    This is how my instructor works with us A'isha, We have become quite use to the mirrors and without. I know when I first started I hated the mirrors and would only look at the instructor, then I began to watch the instructor in the mirror and also directly, after that I was able to also watch myself. I can remember becoming confused a couple of times when we worked without the mirrors - we are all very comfortable with each other and just laugh if we mess up. After 3 years together we are getting pretty good at working with & without. I miss not having mirrors at home to check on myself when I practice at times though. I find shutting my eyses and 'feeling my body move and also feeling the music helps a lot, when I have my eyes closed I trace the movements in my head, I do this at night when I am settling to sleep as well, that is my "head" practice time
    ~Mosaic

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456