Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Weird comparisons?

Last edited by Brea; 05-04-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Along fowl lines: when referring to belly dance posture, I explain there are to be no duck butts in my classes, then demonstrate with great exaggeration what I mean. I assume anyone who doesn't at least giggle while trying to eliminate her duck butt is dead, and I immediately dial 911.

Post Thanks / Like

My teacher described inward vertical 8's like scooping ice cream with your hips - you have chocolate on one side & strawberry on the other - I love a food analogy so it worked for me!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Shanazel- I agree, no duck butts!

However, that description did make my students understand what moves they were supposed to execute.

Post Thanks / Like

riding a bicycle for downward 8's

Post Thanks / Like

My teacher uses "The shower-head-hand" for hands that are drooping down with fingers pointing down towards your head, instead of pointing up as an extension of the arm.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! I am borrowing "shower head hands." Tell your teacher thank you for me, Gisela.

I describe mayas as looking like water pouring over the sides of a jar. Mayim in Hebrew is water, oddly enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I love all of these weird comparisons. My teachers have never been very good at articulating weird comparisons, but I make them up for myself when I finally understand what they mean. The duck butt is definitely one I thought about! I started to be more open with my weird comparisons in class as they just come to me and now my teacher always looks to me for them. One time though I made a really I guess risky one and my teacher laughed but looked scared all at the same time. She was teacher the beginners class the feeling of undulations... very exaggerated involving the whole upper body... I related it to holding a pole and doing a stripper body wave action but stopping at the waist. lol. Daggers I tell you... daggers.

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome Shanazel! Spread the word to get those awful hands to straighten up!

Thought of another one, it's not exactly a comparison but a funny name:

Another teacher who has taken a lot of classes in Berlin with Beata and Horacio taught us a mix of an undulation and an afro-circle. She called it an "unbeschreiblich" (hope I spelled that right) which means an "undescribable". It fits quite good because you can't really see what's going on down there.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

I warn my studends against:

"velociraptor claws" -elbows in & hands out in front of the chest with a bent wrist

"orangutan arms" arms out to sides with elbows pointed down and floppy wrists

"Bob Fosse jazz hands"- hands at waist level with palms forward and fingers spread

I do a silly imitation so they don't forget. My Liza Minnelli is getting pretty good...

My old teacher used to describe a chest undulation as "wiping your boobs on the mirror". I don't think I'll use that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast