Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    I describe mayas as looking like water pouring over the sides of a jar. Mayim in Hebrew is water, oddly enough.
    And maya is actually arabic for water!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, save us from Bob Fosse jazz hands! Not to mention that stoop shouldered slouch. Very cool in jazz, but jazz belly dance is not a fusion I am inclined (or qualified!) to teach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    I warn my studends against:

"velociraptor claws" -elbows in & hands out in front of the chest with a bent wrist
    Hahahahaha!! I think on Bhuz someone referred to this as "Praying Mantis Arms" or T-Rex arms.

"Duck Butt" always gets a laugh. But I need a better name for the opposite stance -- when your pelvis is tilted too far forward. I used to call it "Urkle" after the kid on the tv show in the 90s, but that's a bit too obscure now. Suggestions?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Brea; 05-04-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My teacher loves "duck bum" and I still giggle every time. Her exaggerations of bad posture are hilarious and bring the point home, though when you first start out learning good posture it feels like you're overdoing it (maybe that's just because of my bad computer posture).

I've also heard of icecream scooping for hips and also for hand/wrist twirling so that we always twirl "inwards" (scooping the icecream into your hands, not getting it on the backs). She has also used descriptions similar to roll down the pole for camels.

I really love the water/maya association, I'll have to picture that and practice to see how it goes.
    Last edited by Missybell; 03-09-2008 at 05:10 AM.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

My instructor has us kneel on our hands and knees and lower our chest up and down. She calls it the Naughty! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12