Weird comparisons?

Shanazel

Along fowl lines: when referring to belly dance posture, I explain there are to be no duck butts in my classes, then demonstrate with great exaggeration what I mean. I assume anyone who doesn't at least giggle while trying to eliminate her duck butt is dead, and I immediately dial 911.

Hyacinth

My teacher described inward vertical 8's like scooping ice cream with your hips - you have chocolate on one side & strawberry on the other - I love a food analogy so it worked for me!

Brea

Shanazel- I agree, no duck butts!

However, that description did make my students understand what moves they were supposed to execute.

gisela

Super Moderator
My teacher uses "The shower-head-hand" for hands that are drooping down with fingers pointing down towards your head, instead of pointing up as an extension of the arm.

Shanazel

Ha! I am borrowing "shower head hands." Tell your teacher thank you for me, Gisela.

I describe mayas as looking like water pouring over the sides of a jar. Mayim in Hebrew is water, oddly enough.

TiaSerena

I love all of these weird comparisons. My teachers have never been very good at articulating weird comparisons, but I make them up for myself when I finally understand what they mean. The duck butt is definitely one I thought about! I started to be more open with my weird comparisons in class as they just come to me and now my teacher always looks to me for them. One time though I made a really I guess risky one and my teacher laughed but looked scared all at the same time. She was teacher the beginners class the feeling of undulations... very exaggerated involving the whole upper body... I related it to holding a pole and doing a stripper body wave action but stopping at the waist. lol. Daggers I tell you... daggers. :naghty:

gisela

Super Moderator
You're welcome Shanazel! Spread the word to get those awful hands to straighten up:D!

Thought of another one, it's not exactly a comparison but a funny name:

Another teacher who has taken a lot of classes in Berlin with Beata and Horacio taught us a mix of an undulation and an afro-circle. She called it an "unbeschreiblich" (hope I spelled that right) which means an "undescribable". It fits quite good because you can't really see what's going on down there.

Jane

I warn my studends against:

"velociraptor claws" -elbows in & hands out in front of the chest with a bent wrist

"orangutan arms" arms out to sides with elbows pointed down and floppy wrists

"Bob Fosse jazz hands"- hands at waist level with palms forward and fingers spread

I do a silly imitation so they don't forget. My Liza Minnelli is getting pretty good...

My old teacher used to describe a chest undulation as "wiping your boobs on the mirror". I don't think I'll use that one. :confused:

Shanazel

Oh, save us from Bob Fosse jazz hands! Not to mention that stoop shouldered slouch. Very cool in jazz, but jazz belly dance is not a fusion I am inclined (or qualified!) to teach.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I warn my studends against:

"velociraptor claws" -elbows in & hands out in front of the chest with a bent wrist

Hahahahaha!! I think on Bhuz someone referred to this as "Praying Mantis Arms" or T-Rex arms.

"Duck Butt" always gets a laugh. But I need a better name for the opposite stance -- when your pelvis is tilted too far forward. I used to call it "Urkle" after the kid on the tv show in the 90s, but that's a bit too obscure now. Suggestions?

Missybell

My teacher loves "duck bum" and I still giggle every time. Her exaggerations of bad posture are hilarious and bring the point home, though when you first start out learning good posture it feels like you're overdoing it (maybe that's just because of my bad computer posture).

I've also heard of icecream scooping for hips and also for hand/wrist twirling so that we always twirl "inwards" (scooping the icecream into your hands, not getting it on the backs). She has also used descriptions similar to roll down the pole for camels.

I really love the water/maya association, I'll have to picture that and practice to see how it goes.

Last edited:

KuteNurse

My instructor has us kneel on our hands and knees and lower our chest up and down. She calls it the Naughty! lol:lol: