Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm okay with tips in the side of my belt or back of my bra strap. If people want to tip me "near the goods or girlies" I won't accept it. It's mostly women who tip me anyway, most men seem too shy! I've also carried around a basket on my head in a resturant venue, not as many tips as the costume collecting. I've also had a venue with a tip jar for the dacer at the register. That didn't work very well at all! People really want to feel involved with the dancer. If you are in a nice venue, are confident, and can gracefully handle when things go wrong, I don't see a problem with costume tipping when done respectfully by patrons. When I go see other dancers, I give them the bill shower because I like the tradition and it lets them know I might be another dancer to chat with after the show if they have time.

I play a game with my students where we arrange chairs around the room, and have one student be the "dancer". The other students are customers with different personalities, i.e. obnoxious drunk, overly excited dancer wanna-be, small children, hostile woman, pervert tipper, etc. Other students are wait staff who generaly try to get in the "dancers" way The students have to handle the customers, keep their bottoms out of the diners faces, collect tips (we use kleenexes for class) appropriatly, not crash into the staff, keep track of their props, and use the floor space well while dancing. Sometimes I even put in the wrong music...Hey it happens!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think the different customs have anything to do with the size of the bills? Here in Denmark the smallest bill is worth around 7-8$. I don't see myself (ok I'm not very rich) or many others doing money showers with that. Of course there are people who are welthier than me that could tuck a 50 danish crown bill in the dancer's costume without blinking but I think it might be a bit easier with the option of starting at 1$. Maybe I'm just really cheap. I haven't seen any costume tipping or money showers here at all.

There is also not such a big tipping culture as people working in bars and restaurants get salaries and don't rely on the tips.
    immer glimmer

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the way the economy is in the States, not too many people will be buying extravagant costumes, at least not me? What does everyone else think?

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, a fancy dance costume is "on my list" for the next year or so. I have a very nice one already, but unfortunately it doesn't fit correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KuteNurse View Post
    I think the way the economy is in the States, not too many people will be buying extravagant costumes, at least not me? What does everyone else think?
    I only have one extravagant costume anyhow. I have a lot of middle of the road $200-$300 bedlah sets that I'm really hard on. I'm charging more for gas for out of town gigs, depending how far they are. The price of gas has curtailed my workshop travel already

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    I only have one extravagant costume anyhow. I have a lot of middle of the road $200-$300 bedlah sets that I'm really hard on. I'm charging more for gas for out of town gigs, depending how far they are. The price of gas has curtailed my workshop travel already

It costs me about $65 to fill my gas tank right now. It is enough to get me to one of my son's cycle races...$65 for gas, $30 for the race, hopefully my son will win his money back. $20 for food. Expensive day!

Post Thanks / Like

back to tipping.... I used to hate the whole "body tipping" idea.... thought it was a bit tacky/etc.... THEN I became a pro dancer.... still had issues with it (I am/was quite shy) but (& somewhere on this forum I am sure there is a discussion of this) it seemed more awkward (to me) to go around with a basket "begging".... anyhow... SOMEWHERE along the line, I got over it... this is my job/ this is part of our "pay"... & part of the "act" etc. & I have never seen a dancer look like a stripper accepting tips. In fact I probably get more tips from women & children then men.
    however body tipping is perceived VERY much depends on the integrity of the performer/the other dancers/the venue/etc....
    I tell my dancers that under no circumstances do we accept tips in the bra (too easy to get out of hand) & only on the sides of the belt.
    in the "nicer" restaurants that i have danced I have NO qualms about accepting body tips... in the more club like settings(more alcohol/less food) I have had to buck up & go the tip jar route... one place we had a small stage, & put the tip jar right on stage... had a couple of "plants" start the tipping & occasionally had one dancer pass the bucket while another was performing... it worked out well (more alcohol also = more tips!)

speaking of tips... I have noticed over the years that how the 1st tip goes "in" is how much of the night goes.. if the 1st person hands me a tip then usually over 1/2 the rest of them do. if the 1st tipper is a bit sketchy, how you handle it depends on how far any others will go (very easy to back away, shake your finger "no" in a playful way then point to your hip.. doesn't embarrass the "perp" too much but gets the point across).. & funny story...
    one time my MOM gave me a tip in my belt & patted my hip belt affectionately ... & some of the other customers that night (men & women!) did it the same way!!...
    I think it is like at a fancy dinner where they are watching the other guests to figure out which fork to use, or the proper way to eat an artichoke in public!

so for you shy types who want tips maybe have a plant in the audience to hand you the 1st one... then you can PROMINENTLY place it in a tip jar on the counter, sort of sets the tone you know....
    also LOVE Sausan's envelope idea!
    I am sorry some of you think dancers who accept tips this way are slutty.
    this is simply not the case with most of us. & as you study the history of the dance you will find it was a pretty common way for audience members to show appreciation for the dancer.... in many different places.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234