Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Um, what?!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you Belly_Dancer. I would like to add that regarding the hip scarfs there may be a quality difference. The ones I have bought from my teacher have been pretty exspensive but I've had some of them for five years (and used a lot) and never, ever lost a single coin. She does not want to sell poor products, so naturally they are a little bit higher priced.

This sunday I performed in the spring recital of the oriental dance guild of denmark. I paid for a ticket but it was 2$ for performers. I think it's ok to pay a small amount when it's a recital type of show. The guild has to rent the space and pay for advertising and prints. Also, unfortunately, the audience mostly consisted of the performers so unless we paid they wouldn't have gotten any money in.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    I'm with you Belly_Dancer. I would like to add that regarding the hip scarfs there may be a quality difference. The ones I have bought from my teacher have been pretty exspensive but I've had some of them for five years (and used a lot) and never, ever lost a single coin. She does not want to sell poor products, so naturally they are a little bit higher priced.

This sunday I performed in the spring recital of the oriental dance guild of denmark. I paid for a ticket but it was 2$ for performers. I think it's ok to pay a small amount when it's a recital type of show. The guild has to rent the space and pay for advertising and prints. Also, unfortunately, the audience mostly consisted of the performers so unless we paid they wouldn't have gotten any money in.
    thank you for understanding... sometimes I feel I get TOO passionate trying to explain myself.... & yes, totally agree w/ the hip scarf issue.... love it when customer sees mine ($34 but offer my students 15% discount on their 1st one!) & says... I can get this on ebay for $2.99... I tell them to go ahead... (oh yeah... that is the site w/ $14.99 shipping).. a few of them have come back to get a "nice" one from me.

oh yeah... HOW was the recital... & what exactly is the oriental dance guild of Denmark??
    Last edited by belly_dancer; 04-22-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: rude.... wanted to ask abt recital

Post Thanks / Like

Thank's for asking. It was a lot of fun! Veeery long, 2 hours - intermission- and 2 hours more, yikes! Not a lot of audience at all, as I said before, mostly the performers. The really bad thing about the too long program is that people get enough and leave, so those performing last hardly has any audience left. I luckily had some people watching. Three other girls and me performed a Yousry Sharif choreo to Hossam Ramzy's "Faddah". It went really well despite we each made a mistake (who cares though???) and we got good respons.

The guild is a group of people working (for free in their spare time) for a better, more active and united belly dance environment in denmark. They arrange haflas, hamam-visits, a recital and workshops and shows. They also arrange cheap transportation for people living in other parts of the country wanting to go to a show or workshop. They make a nice little magazine as well. I like them and think they do a great job. Since the country is so small it's actually possible to have ONE recital for the whole country (even though it becomes four hours long) and it changes location each year to not favour the capital city or other parts of the country.
    immer glimmer

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Brea; 05-15-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a student at Eman's belly dance studio and I've been dancing for 5 years now and I haven't experienced any of what has been posted by Brea on this site. Actually, as for looking at one person in the audience, this is for beginners that are shy and it's their first time on stage to concentrate on one person so they don't forget their moves. She tells us every year the same sentence and never mentions making love to any one.

--As for water, she always tells us to drink plenty of water but has never said anything about sugar.

--As for giving the choreography and the music to us, she always gave us the written choreography. Those of us that need extra help, she gives them the music and the choreography to bring home so they can pratice for the show. Those that left her and talked about her in this forum, they were angry that they were not allowed to continue taking classes or participate in her shows for performing in the wrong places like batchlor parties.

--As for Brea linking herself to a well known name in Duluth Minnesota like Eman Haddad so she will be known and heard of, that is too bad. Why would you think the people that tried a class with you are coming to Eman to teach them the right way a beginner should be taught the moves of belly dance. Why would Debbie's assistant leave her to dance under Eman if that teacher is so nice?

--Eman has taught hundreds of women in the Northland the art of Belly Dance and many of them are now teachers and have the confidence to perform in public.

--My experience at Eman's performing in her yearly shows, I see that she has women of all shapes and sizes in the dances. She never discriminated against size, in fact she helps over weight women that join her fitness belly dance classes to lose over 25 pounds. One of my friends lost 60 pounds and she is teaching now in Ashland for Eman. She helps them build confidence through her group dances on stage every year.

--The girls that couldn't reach to Eman's level of expertice and originality, have left her. Their jealousy and envy has caused them to talk bad about her in a forum like this.

--As for the student with the name Cassey she didn't mention she exited the stage going into the audience, I was in the same dance with her and Eman taught us in the rehearsal to exit the back of the stage and not to run down the steps to the audience. For a girl with a college degree like you Cassey, you didn't have the common sense to not exit down to the people. As a matter of fact, I was in the same dance Cassey and you never attended the rehearsals like you are supposed to. I remember her assistant Patty had to sew you a special belly dance costume to fit your size and awkward shape. You didn't look like the rest of the girls and lifted your skirt up to your knee and lowered the waist and even Eman questioned your exiting into the people. She was mad at you but then hugged you and allowed you to dance in the second show. Good luck where ever you are dancing now.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh, please...

Quote Originally Posted by samira1 View Post
    I'm a student at Eman's belly dance studio and I've been dancing for 5 years now and I haven't experienced any of what has been posted by Brea on this site.
    I'm so glad you've had a positive experience with Eman!

<snip>

Those that left her and talked about her in this forum, they were angry that they were not allowed to continue taking classes or participate in her shows for performing in the wrong places like batchlor parties.
    I very much doubt that any of the three dancers who have talked about their personal experiences with Eman here on this site were thrown out of her classes for performing at bachelor parties.

--As for Brea linking herself to a well known name in Duluth Minnesota like Eman Haddad so she will be known and heard of, that is too bad. Why would you think the people that tried a class with you are coming to Eman to teach them the right way a beginner should be taught the moves of belly dance. Why would Debbie's assistant leave her to dance under Eman if that teacher is so nice?
    Actually, Brea only claimed that her teacher was Middle Eastern...she was reluctant to give a name until pressed. I think she only lists Eman's name on her website because someone told her it's a good idea to list your teachers.

As for complete newbies leaving Brea to go to Eman for better basic instruction...that could happen, but I'd expect that a more likely cause is scheduling, or that the students were studying with Eman already, and just wanted to check out Brea out of curiousity. Or hey, maybe they wanted to dance in Eman's extravaganza...it wouldn't be the first time a dancer has chosen instruction based on performance opportunities.

--My experience at Eman's performing in her yearly shows, I see that she has women of all shapes and sizes in the dances. She never discriminated against size, in fact she helps over weight women that join her fitness belly dance classes to lose over 25 pounds. One of my friends lost 60 pounds and she is teaching now in Ashland for Eman. She helps them build confidence through her group dances on stage every year.
    If Eman's publicity featured women of all shapes and sizes, I'd be more likely to believe your word over the word of someone I know and trust (that Eman does not discriminate based on size).

--The girls that couldn't reach to Eman's level of expertice and originality, have left her. Their jealousy and envy has caused them to talk bad about her in a forum like this.
    Students leave for many different reasons. Chalking it all up to jealousy and lack of creativity seems a bit extreme.

--As for the student with the name Cassey she didn't mention she exited the stage going into the audience, I was in the same dance with her and Eman taught us in the rehearsal to exit the back of the stage and not to run down the steps to the audience. For a girl with a college degree like you Cassey, you didn't have the common sense to not exit down to the people. As a matter of fact, I was in the same dance Cassey and you never attended the rehearsals like you are supposed to. I remember her assistant Patty had to sew you a special belly dance costume to fit your size and awkward shape. You didn't look like the rest of the girls and lifted your skirt up to your knee and lowered the waist and even Eman questioned your exiting into the people. She was mad at you but then hugged you and allowed you to dance in the second show. Good luck where ever you are dancing now.
    The dancer you call "Cassey" is a friend of mine. She mentioned several issues/snafus with the show, including a problem with leaving the stage. I certainly can't say much about the performance because I wasn't there, but it seems to me when you are mocking "Cassey's" college education and her body type, you only make yourself look bad. Here in MN, the Land of Giants, any "standard" costume would have to be altered to fit a 4'11' dancer. And low-waisted costumes are pretty standard for your (oops, I mean EMAN's) shows, now aren't they?

"Cassey" is actually doing very well, working on her Masters, dancing with a troupe, and even teaching...but she is teaching the stuff she learned in San Francisco, not your dance moves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    ...when you are mocking "Cassey's" college education and her body type, you only make yourself look bad.
    Quite. Whatever the truth about this teacher might be, that awkward shape comment was out of order.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh how I love to be defamed online!

I missed one rehearsal due to a college conflict. One. No one bothered to tell me how we were exiting, and since that was my very first dance performance minus being 7 years old in ballet.....I was nervous. Mistakes happen. The girls behind me followed me. Not my fault. If you want to start a fight Eman, at least have your facts right.

Patty didn't sew the costume. Someone else did. And f-ed it up. Not only did I have to pay the random woman money for the ugly black velvet crop top and skirt, I had to pay someone else to fix it. The skirt rode up and down because of your assistant's shoddy workmanship, which meant that the bottom of the skirt was often at my knees. You made me the only one in black because "black is slimming" even though I'm pale as an Irish girl can get, which meant my lovely size 18 tummy was glaring white in the stage lights for both shows.

Eman tried to convince me to not perform by using phrases like "you don't want to perform in the show, do you?" Even better was telling the girls to diet, or how she went a week with only eating a Kit-Kat Bar.

Eman hugged me after I had a screaming match with her backstage. Anyone that knows me knows that I don't do screaming matches. This happened after one of the girls came up to me bawling after the first show and said that Eman wasn't going to let us perform because we exited wrong. The only reason I performed was because I paid $45 for three tickets, plus $50 for performance fees, plus $150 for a shitty costume, plus classes to perform in her show and I wanted my friends to see my dance.

Eman didn't even tell us that she had canceled the class following the show and I waited outside her studio with 5 other students. The only reason I showed up was to see what she would say about the show.

I'm glad I started bellydancing, but I really wish I would have known about other teachers in Duluth. Maybe I wouldn't have had to heal after the body hatred that Eman instilled in her students.

And daSage is right.....I'm working on my master's degree, dancing in a troupe, learning to teach, and loving bellydance despite you.

(I'm sorry that this post is really disorganized.....I'm angry to the point of wanting to throw up. I make no apologies for my body at 4'11" and size 18. This body has bellydanced for four years, performed hooping, spun fire poi, done triathlons, and biked 150 miles in two days.....and next year I'm doing a marathon and will hopefully be teaching bellydance more regularly).
    Last edited by Tikvah; 07-31-2008 at 05:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you got over it. I'm sure many didn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tikvah View Post
    Oh how I love to be defamed online!

I missed one rehearsal due to a college conflict. One. No one bothered to tell me how we were exiting, and since that was my very first dance performance minus being 7 years old in ballet.....I was nervous. Mistakes happen. The girls behind me followed me. Not my fault. If you want to start a fight Eman, at least have your facts right.

Patty didn't sew the costume. Someone else did. And f-ed it up. Not only did I have to pay the random woman money for the ugly black velvet crop top and skirt, I had to pay someone else to fix it. The skirt rode up and down because of your assistant's shoddy workmanship, which meant that the bottom of the skirt was often at my knees. You made me the only one in black because "black is slimming" even though I'm pale as an Irish girl can get, which meant my lovely size 18 tummy was glaring white in the stage lights for both shows.

Eman tried to convince me to not perform by using phrases like "you don't want to perform in the show, do you?" Even better was telling the girls to diet, or how she went a week with only eating a Kit-Kat Bar.

Eman hugged me after I had a screaming match with her backstage. Anyone that knows me knows that I don't do screaming matches. This happened after one of the girls came up to me bawling after the first show and said that Eman wasn't going to let us perform because we exited wrong. The only reason I performed was because I paid $45 for three tickets, plus $50 for performance fees, plus $150 for a shitty costume, plus classes to perform in her show and I wanted my friends to see my dance.

Eman didn't even tell us that she had canceled the class following the show and I waited outside her studio with 5 other students. The only reason I showed up was to see what she would say about the show.

I'm glad I started bellydancing, but I really wish I would have known about other teachers in Duluth. Maybe I wouldn't have had to heal after the body hatred that Eman instilled in her students.

And daSage is right.....I'm working on my master's degree, dancing in a troupe, learning to teach, and loving bellydance despite you.

(I'm sorry that this post is really disorganized.....I'm angry to the point of wanting to throw up. I make no apologies for my body at 4'11" and size 18. This body has bellydanced for four years, performed hooping, spun fire poi, done triathlons, and biked 150 miles in two days.....and next year I'm doing a marathon and will hopefully be teaching bellydance more regularly).

Congratulations on that post.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast