Random thoughts on a new GBD adventure

Fire Lily

Hi everyone. Just wanted to share some random thoughts

What may well have started out as a way to expand my dance ability.
My journey into the gothic side of belly dance may turn out to be
more then I anticipated.
I took my first GBD lesson on Monday. And I approached it with a certain
degree of excitement and nervousness both at the same time.

According to some sites on the internet, namely Tempest's `gothic
culture' it is helpful to not only have a basic understanding of
cabaret/tribal belly dance terms and movement. But also an
understanding of the gothic subculture itself. Which I feel I do

I am sure my teacher is more then qualified in her ability to lead a
safe and fun class. Having been dancing little more then a couple of
years longer then I. Approx 8 years

I have been dancing under my current teacher's tuition just under twelve
months. And thus far I enjoy her friendly if not some what strange
personality.

It will also give me the long awaited opportunity to explore
the `darker' side of mine.
And the chance to finally wear the style of costume I have so often
admired on others.

I am also hopeful that I will be able to offer helpful ideas and
suggestions in terms of choreography and costume.

I look forward to being challenged. And putting an end to a long
holiday.
To put it simply? To get back into the `swing' of things.

My diet and exercise habits have also been altered for the new year
in an effort to improve my health.
Incorporating a 45 to an hours walk on the treadmill every day. As
well as cutting back on sugar filled foods like chocolate to once a
week.
I also try to use my dumb-bells at least twice a week. Mostly when I
am watching my favorite television show. Stargate SG1

I am also starting to grow some herbs in the garden, to use as fresh
garnishes for various meals.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

That sounds great!! And good for you on getting healthy! I feel like a healthy body is a more FUN body to dance in :) I SOOOO want an herb garden this year.

Please share your thoughts on your GBD adventure! I'm always looking for new inspiration and I love to see how other people find their "inner Goth" -- LOL :)

Fire Lily

Wednesday 5 March

Well I have now had my first GBD lesson. And although I loved every second, my body is now protesting as a resalt of not having used particular muscles for a couple of months.
Sure I’ve been doing exorcise. But I’ve utilised different muscle groups. ‘Ouch!’
So best thing I can do for myself between classes now, is not allow myself to get ‘stiff’
Therefore, I have been practicing a couple of yoga moves to improve flexibility. Including; Balasana (Childs pose), Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand), Cobra, Nataraja (Dancer’s pose), Dhanura-asana (The bow). And others I don’t yet know the name of.

Anyway. Halfway through the class and running through some choreography. I did this rather ungraceful stumble into a nearby chair!
Thankfully my classmates had the decency not to draw attention to it and cause me embarrassment. Bless them.
And Mai’sah said we would be working more on floor work this term. As well as using swords. Woohoo! Although the only thing I’ve balanced on my head before is a cane!

Fire Lily

I don't know the music, sorry.

But I would like to choriograph something to Evanescence's 'Even in death':think:

Wednesday 12th March
Well as the title says, it’s Wednesday, and my first opportunity to write an update.
Unfortunately this time round I don’t have a lot to report, as I wasn’t able to attend class. Due to my parents not able to get me there, (Don’t drive due to vision impairment) and their argument that it was a public holiday and NO ONE should be doing anything on a public holiday.
Needless to say I was pissed off. I’ll dance rain hail or shine, cause the class in indoors anyway. Besides I’ve performed in all manor of environments, from super slippery wet grass, to piping hot bricks. All in bare feet.

Anyway I’m digressing.

I spoke with one of my dance friends yesterday, and she informs me that class didn’t go according to plan anyway, so I didn’t miss anything vital.

Next week I can’t attend class either. Because I have relatives arriving in from Scotland on Monday. (sighs…) The year is not off to a good start.

I figure all I can do in the meantime is practice at home, and work on my yoga.

Fire Lily

Wednesday 26th March

Hi everyone. I’m gonna make this one short cause I’m full of head cold. And my focus is some what limited.

But due to overseas relatives visiting for a couple of days, I didn’t make it to class this week.
Which kinda annoyed me, but what are you gonna do???

Hopefully next week I’ll have more to report.

Hope you are all having a great Easter break. And I’ll speak to you soon.

TTFN
Fire Lily