What are you eating/drinking or had for lunch/dinner?

Reen.Blom

Oh I am sure I am not the only one to splill my tea over the computer table or contaminate the keyboard with crumbs....lol

Post what you are eating/drinking now or if you are not that postwhat you had for last mal you had...LOL

I am drinking Rooibos tea with 1 sugar and lemon.

janaki

I am eating papaya and drinking english breakfast tea!! This is my ritual in the morning.

karena

for lunch i went to a veggie cafe and had veggie moussaka, salad and roll. before that i had an apple danish pastry as i was at a university open day.

KuteNurse

I am not eating anything. I am drinking a glass of water. I have to make dinner soon. Chicken breasts and a rice or pasta dish and broccoli.

PS...My keyboard was covered with crumbs...I had to dump it upside down and shake. Then I did the wand spray thingy to get all the pieces out of my keyboard. lol

Shanazel

I had Tuscan herb bread with butter for dinner and have a nice big glass of ice water right now.

Moon

I had 4 slices of bread or so with brushetta mix.

Now I'm eating chips (or "crips" like the uk people like to call it).

KuteNurse

I have not had anything to eat yet today. Just two BIG glasses of water. I will pop in a lean cuisine dinner soon though, my tummy is growling.

Reen.Blom

I had a very nice dinner tonight- grilled porck chops and butternut, prepared and consumed on the fire, under thye stars and to the music of crickets and frogs.....

I am having a glass of rum and coke now...lol

karena

Now I'm eating chips (or "crips" like the uk people like to call it).

What do we call crips?? ;) Are we the only people that call crisps crisps? Are our continental neighbours not standing by us on this? I never knew that. I thought it was a Europe vs America thing! No wonder so many people want our of Europe! :lol:

Moon

We use the American word "chips" in the Netherlands (which we pronounce as "ships" by the way :lol:). And since chips are an American invention I believe they are using the right word ;)

Karena said:
No wonder so many people want our of Europe!
Does a word miss here? I don't understand this sentence.

karena

We use the American word "chips" in the Netherlands (which we pronounce as "ships" by the way :lol:). And since chips are an American invention I believe they are using the right word ;)

Does a word miss here? I don't understand this sentence.

So disappointing! I checked in Wikipedia (which of course is always true :lol:), and they really are American! I was convinced we could lay claim to them. And then I thought maybe we invented the chip first so already had the word in use, but alas 7 years after the american chip (crisp). My whole universe is in disarray ;)

Yes, meant to say out rather than our. If the tabloids hear there isn't Europe-wide solidarity on the chip/crisp issue, it may just be the final straw for the anti-europe people :lol:. I'll not tell

Shanazel

Potatoes were orginally imported from the New World to the Old World, I believe, so it stands to reason New Worlders figured out how to take a healthy food, deep fry it in fat, dust it with salt and make it both delicious and bad for one's health.

KuteNurse

Potatoes were orginally imported from the New World to the Old World, I believe, so it stands to reason New Worlders figured out how to take a healthy food, deep fry it in fat, dust it with salt and make it both delicious and bad for one's health.

You are correct Shanazel. They were first found by explorers in Virginia, USA by the American Indians. Then they made there way to Europe etc. Queen Elizabeth from the 17th century...I forgot which one she was, was among the first to see a potato. Hmmm...According to Wikipedia, Brazil was where potatoes originated...I am not sure what info to believe..My husband or Wiki...lol

Potato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PriscillaAdum

Potatoes are actually Peruvian in origin. They grow in the Andes and require warm weather and short days, I can't imagine that they'd do very well in the Brazilian heat. They were first found by Spanish explorers (possibly Pizarro and his gang of thugs) and taken back to Spain from Peru. I don't know how they got to Virginia, but it wasn't the English who discovered potatoes in the new world. It was the Spaniards, as the potato reached Spain at least 20 years before it reached England. The word papa, is a Quechua word. The spaniards called it patata, and the english...potato. Andean Indians still cultivate potatoes on man-made ledges to this day exactly the same way they have done it for thousands of years.
In the Andean regions of Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia they cultivate hundreds of varieties that aren't exported nor known in the rest of the world. In Ecuador, I've seen blue potatoes, red potatoes, yellow, white, tiny ones and huge ones and ones that don't even look or taste like potatoes. Not all potatoes are good for all dishes. I once made mashed potatoes out of the wrong variety of potato and it was the consistency of mucus and stuck to the inside of everyone's mouth and coated their teeth. Completely inedible. Gross but true. Other varieties desintegrate in oil if you try to make chips or fries out of them.

Regards
Priscilla

You are correct Shanazel. They were first found by explorers in Virginia, USA by the American Indians. Then they made there way to Europe etc. Queen Elizabeth from the 17th century...I forgot which one she was, was among the first to see a potato. Hmmm...According to Wikipedia, Brazil was where potatoes originated...I am not sure what info to believe..My husband or Wiki...lol

Potato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ecuabellydancer

Very nice comment Pris, gotta be proud of our potatoes :D From here to Spain, where they came up with the delicious "tortilla de patata", which is my favorite spanish dish! Ummmm ;)

Moon

Indeed Priscilla, in the Andes the potato is very important for entire cultures :)

Indeed not all potato variaties are usefull for everything. Th potatoes most suitable for chips and fries (crisps and chips for the UK people) are also the most susceptible to all kinds of diseases :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm eating chocolate now. Another great discovery from Southern American origin.

Ecuabellydancer

Hey Ecua how abo:dance:ut a a recipe?

Hey Reenie! well... one thing about me, I love to eat, but I don´t cook at all :shok: Anyways, I found this recipe and a video. Enjoy! :D

TORTILLA DE PATATAS
Recetas Favoritas de España

The tortilla is a way of life in Spain (and worth it!)

For 4 to 6 persons: 1 cup olive oil, four large potatos
(peel and cut in circles about 2mm thick; salt to taste;
one large onion, thinly sliced; four large eggs.

Some people add thin slices of red pepper together with
the onion.

Heat the oil in a 9-inch skillet, add potatos, one slice at a time so that
they don't stick. Alternate layers of potato and onion. COOK slowly, medium
flame. DO NOT FRY!! Turn ocasionally until potatoes are tender, but NOT
brown. They must be loose, not "in a cake". Beat eggs in a large bowl with
a fork. Salt to taste. Drain potatoes. Add potatoes to beaten eggs, pressing
them so that eggs cover them completely. Let sit for 15 minutes.
Heat 2 tbsps of the oil in large skillet. Add potates-egg mixture, spreading
quickly.Lower the heat to medium-high.Shake pan to prevet sticking (crucial
step!!) When potatoes start to brown, put a plate on skillet and turn around,
adding another tbsp of oil. Brown on the other side. Can flip three or four times
for better cooking. Serve with Marques de Caceres or Vega Sicilia (forget
about French wines.)

YouTube - Tortilla de patata | www.spanisch-live.de