Wanted: Castoff Coins

muneera

My apologies if you've already been subjected to this on bhuz...or in the marketplace here, I just realized that I probably put this in the wrong forum. SO sorry! I promise I'll be less annoying in the future.

I recently had this idea that it would be really cool if I could decorate the new saidi dress I bought with silver coins from dancers all over the world. I mean, most of us have coins lying around that have fallen off one hip scarf or another. Probably I should have gotten a head start by picking up coins other dancers lost at the workshop I was at LAST WEEKEND (when I actually got the idea), but I didn't want to embarass myself by being obvious.

Anyways, the problem with my idea is that I don't know dancers from all over the world...I don't even know dancers from all over Korea...so instead of embarassing myself by picking up coins off the floor, I'm doing it by begging (oh, the fun anonymity of the internet - I promise I'll upload my picture soon so you can get a more complete mental picture of this process). If there's anyone out there who has a silver coin lying around that they aren't going to use and don't mind parting with, I'll trade you for it. My original thought was that I could swap you a coin for a postcard, but it could be a coin for a coin, or something else. What do you think?

I think this sounds like a really cool idea and I'd be happy to send you some coins if you tell me where to send them. I don't really want any in return, though!

khanjar

Interesting idea even, how about coins, actual currency from around the world, that would add an international dimension to dance.

At one time the practice of wearing coins I suppose would indicate how popular the dancer was by how many coins they wore.

As to the nationality of the coin, perhaps that was irrelevant as most silver coloured coins of the past were actually made of the precious metal silver and it was the bullion value that was the worth. The same with copper and gold. Portable wealth as it has always been.

I know in the UK the last actual silver coins ceased to be in the 1930s, what we have now is not silver and the copper coins aren't copper as they are magnetic.

debi-lion

Awww, dont be embarrased about picking up the coins at the end of a class, I started a new class last week, and at the end me and my friend started picking the coins up, as i collect them to make costumes too, we giggled with the other ladies about it, but when I explained I was collecting them for a reason, they all started picking them up and handing them to me, I went again last night, and one woman actually went round and picked them up for me, it was great.

So although it does seem a bit embarrasing at first, go for it, I might take my own little brush and shovel next week, ha ha ha.

I do like your idea of collecting coins from dancers all over the world, that would be great!!! Good luck with it. :)

paigan

wanted castoff coins

And i thought that i was the only sad dancer out there ive been doing this for about two years now and the ladies at my class also pick them up for me.I call the coins my sweepings I must also say that i used to work in a local theatre and i swept up all the lost beads /jewels and these went in my sweepings pot.

Amulya

I've got a collection of real coins from all over the world, but it would be very expensive to send because it's a couple of kilo's heavy. Let me know if you're interested :)