Wanted- Seattle WA Teacher

Jane

I hope this is the right section to put this in :think:

I'll be in Seattle Washington Saturday March 22. I have a very small time window between 11AM and 5PM in which I'd like to squeeze in a two hour private lesson. I'm specifcally looking for authentic folkloric styles or Egyptian Raqs Sharki or Turkish Oriental. Technique correction and cultural awareness are always a plus for me.

If you are a teacher, or can recommend someone for me, I'd greatly appriciate it! :) Thanks so much! Jane

Marya

I hope this is the right section to put this in :think:

I'll be in Seattle Washington Saturday March 22. I have a very small time window between 11AM and 5PM in which I'd like to squeeze in a two hour private lesson. I'm specifcally looking for authentic folkloric styles or Egyptian Raqs Sharki or Turkish Oriental. Technique correction and cultural awareness are always a plus for me.

If you are a teacher, or can recommend someone for me, I'd greatly appriciate it! :) Thanks so much! Jane

For Ethnic dance i can recommend Helene Eriksen her e-mail address is: mail@helene-eriksen.de

Marya

Jane

I got back from Seattle just fine, but what a long car ride! It took me two days- yick. Helene is a fantastic teacher! We ended up working on 9/8 in a Turkish folkloric style. Wow, what a vast difference from the belly dance style 9/8 I was always taught as "Turkish". The weight changes, steps, and body center are totally different from Egyptian and AmCab. Taking that lesson from Helene has me totally re-thinking how all those things relate to the action of the hips in torso-movement-based ME dances. I've come to the realization that my Turkish dance is too Egyptian, and my Egyptian dance is too American. :( If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't try to dance for two hours right after getting out of the car like that. I did get to pick her brain and buy some stuff after class which is always nice. Lots of new info to stew in my brain.

Marya

I got back from Seattle just fine, but what a long car ride! It took me two days- yick. Helene is a fantastic teacher! We ended up working on 9/8 in a Turkish folkloric style. Wow, what a vast difference from the belly dance style 9/8 I was always taught as "Turkish". The weight changes, steps, and body center are totally different from Egyptian and AmCab. Taking that lesson from Helene has me totally re-thinking how all those things relate to the action of the hips in torso-movement-based ME dances. I've come to the realization that my Turkish dance is too Egyptian, and my Egyptian dance is too American. :( If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't try to dance for two hours right after getting out of the car like that. I did get to pick her brain and buy some stuff after class which is always nice. Lots of new info to stew in my brain.

Helene is an expert with the real Turkish music and dance. She is a demanding teacher, where did you drive from? Two days is a long time to be driving.

I took a two day intensive in 9/8 rhythm and dance from several different countries back in February and learned so much but I was definately tired at the end of each day.

Glad it worked out for you.

Marya