Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Brea; 05-04-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Brea View Post
    I agree with several people on here; I should clarify that to me sex and sensuality are frequently the same or connected things. I don't have a problem with it but I definitely draw the line at strip bellydance (or whatever similar thing).

I have to ask again, though: what do you tell kids if they're your students? Not just little kids but teenagers? I have only had one ten year old student and I wasn't sure what to say. Since I am starting to teach again (finally!) I just want to have a good answer ready.

Dear Brea,
    Since I am one of those who think that little children should absolutely NOT belly dance professionally, I do not have to tell them anything. As far as teen agers go, they should be told the same thing that we tell adults; that the dance is a dance that taps into sexuality on some levels, but that does not mean that their bodies are for sale, or that they should in any way intimate that they are. Our sexuality is not a toy, but something WE own, and no one else. Should we choose to share part of that aspect of ourselves with the audience, that does not mean we intend to have sex with anyone.
    By the way, I have a 11 year old girl in my classes and she has been with me since she was 8. Her grandmother and all of the other adults who have been in class with her forever, protect her and teach her to have respect for herself as a sexual being, just as she would in any other area of life. We also do not let her belly dance on the public stage yet, except for at students nights, where we are all friends and family. She does do folkloric dances with us on occasion. She will be performing Saudi with us in our May show at a local college.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with several people on here; I should clarify that to me sex and sensuality are frequently the same or connected things. I don't have a problem with it but I definitely draw the line at strip bellydance (or whatever similar thing).

I have to ask again, though: what do you tell kids if they're your students? Not just little kids but teenagers? I have only had one ten year old student and I wasn't sure what to say. Since I am starting to teach again (finally!) I just want to have a good answer ready.
    I really dont know. I think it is a hard one. I remember a famous dancer once saying that 'children move but they have nothing to dance yet'. I think this was a definate reference to experience and sexuality.
    Its nice for everyone to agree on things but it does not allow the exploration of issues to develop in these threads.
    I was wanting to know about boundries so thanks for answering this.
    I dont like people simulating sex acts as part of a dance or anything that leaves nothing to the imagination.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Where sensuality has been denied and we are unable to differentiate, we get perverted sexuality, anything from bimbos with breast implants to paedophiles.
    Is it OK to have breast implants if you're not a bimbo?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Brea; 05-04-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think younger kids (pre-pubescent) divide their sensuality/sexuality the way that older people do? I get the feeling that kids just dance completely, while older kids get all shy and awkward or alternatively overtly sexual as they explore the new feelings of sexual maturity.

I don't know that you have to refer to the sexuality of the dance, it just happens anyway, and isn't something that in the classes I go to that has ever been discussed...

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Brea; 05-04-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A bit off topic, but to da Sage- did you see the girl who died while she got implants? On the news it showed the rate of people under 18 getting them; in 2003 it was something like 3,500 and in 2004 it was 11,000. It really makes me wonder.
    Was it the anesthesia, or surgery complications that killed her?

I usually see nothing wrong with plastic surgery if it makes you feel better about yourself. I have a list of work I'd like to have done, but I am squeamish about medical procedures in general. Every time I go to the doctor, I have to get my nerve up.

EDIT: and to be on-topic, I perceive some people's dancing as very sensual, some as very sexual, some both, and a few as not really either. It depends on the dancer and the dance.
    Last edited by da Sage; 03-26-2008 at 04:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Well said, Shanazel!

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Well, Salome, you put my own feelings into words so beautifully that I will just say "ditto."
    Ditto the ditto; Shanazel expressed herself quite eloquently. I agree with her opinions.

As a newbie, I want to develop my own expression of sensuality. Since my stage name, which you here were so wonderful in helping me with (i can't thank you all enough), means "Butterfly Lady," I hope in time to develop a delicate, flowing style. I'll be SO glad when I stop dancing like a hiccupping centipede wearing all-left combat boots; that's not very sensual...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I agree 100% with Salome.

I prefer to use "sensuality" instead of "sexuality" when talking to the Western GP because most Western GP will think of a sexual dance as trying to seduce men, looking "hot", showing as much skin as possible. Things that would automatically make less atractive, too skinny, too chubby, too old or male dancer a bad bellydancer because it's not "sexy" according to the general ignorant male audience who expects to be seduced by the bellydancer.
    While sensuality also means expressing your emotions, being comfortable with your emotions and your body, feeling beautiful and attractive etc.
    Western culture does seem to have a difficult time with the sensual/sexual issue. What angers me is that bellydance takes a beating for being "dirty" or "raunchy" (and granted, there are dancers who don't help the situation), yet I've seen some pretty "raunchy" Western dances, and many times the dancers are more scantily clad than most bellydancers.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast