Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see why the teacher accept that a kid bang her cane on the floor and play with a tabla during class without saying anything. I also don't understand why anybody else complain. Maybe they are all scared of the mother (maybe she is a serial killer and you don't know it lol).

Post Thanks / Like

That is just insane. Sorry, but you have a very bad instructor if she allows that kind of situation in her class...

How's the area around the dance school? Can't he play outside for a while whilst you are dancing?

Post Thanks / Like

I would leave that class as soon as the term was up. And I would tell the teacher why, too.

If the teacher wants to make this woman her charity case, then she can give her privates with the son in attendance. Allowing her to impose an unruly child on the rest of the class is unfair...and bad business.

(I may talk a good game, but I know it's hard to carry through sometimes. Last night I was at a big bellydance show, and I didn't tell the people next to me to stop talking until half-way through! I wish I'd done it earlier. The funny thing, is they were supposedly there to support their dancer friend in the show. Heaven protect me from friends like that!)

Post Thanks / Like

I can sympathise. The owner of the studio (not my teacher) where we are currently dancing lets her 2/3-y-o child run through our classes, which means we can't work on choreography with props (wings/canes/etc) in case we hit her.

But back to you: have you spoken to some of the other dancers? They might also be justifiably annoyed with him, but too scared/shy to make a stand. If enough of you complain, then maybe the teacher will do something. Or if enough of you tell the kid to stop running around/being disruptive maybe the mother will get the hint, too, and either leave him with friends or give him something to do.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no sympathy with your teacher's attitude whatsever. Here in the UK, she is probably breaking health and safety laws and negating her PLI.
    A belly dance class is not a creche and unless there is another room the the child can play/amuse theirselves safely with supervision, he/she should be elsewhere.
    The other students probably would dearly love to complain but feel "mean" because this girl may be stuck with minding her kid. You are doing them a favour.
    Teacher's attitude is not professional and she is responsible to keep a safe and suitable environment for her students not provide child minding facilities or amusement for some child. The only spectator I have ever allowed in my class is an injured student who did not want to miss learning . I think my students would object very vocally if they had specators . They pay me for a night away from the pressures of the day and do not want to be hampered by a bawling kid nor a sniggering teenager.
    If she doesn't sort it, find another teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

I think everything has already been said....so I will just say I agree. I can not even begin to imagine a child doing that in my class! There are several ways the instructor could handle this, and not doing anything is not one of them.

If you don't want to stand out to complain, perhaps you could slip an anonymous note in her mail box or bag?

OR if you do want to stand out, start a petition and get everyone to sign it! Just kidding!
    Last edited by Jet Phoenix; 03-28-2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Clarity

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin do you need any more evidence?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    I love it! Absolute classic, how the ladies managed to keep dancing without cracking up I don't know!

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I preferred his interpretation to the stylized Egyptian bas relief arms with silly hop!

Post Thanks / Like

Accidental double post. Sorry, moderator.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast