Glutes!!!!

jenc

I've just got Drills, Drills, Drills and have been enthusiastically exercising my glutes. Now I am more than happy to do this even if I don't need them for my dancing. It's amazing how many things there are to droop as you get older!!
Michelle Joyce says that they are the most important muscle for BD. Yet others don't mention them.
So what styles use the glutes and for what moves?
thanks
Jen

karena

No expert but I have only ever seen the glute thing in American bellydance. I think there is a glute shimmy, where they just use the glutes. No knees. But I haven't ever seen this outside of this context. There is a video on you tube somewhere of an American doing it on what looks like breakfast TV to me (sorry can't find it, nor remember the name. I think it was a famous American too but wasn't really my thing). But to my mind it is still important to engage muscles in order for the move to be sharp. Therefore on a hip drop/lift if you engage muscles including the glutes, pelvic floor etc if makes it sharper. That is what I was taught by an Egyptian dancer. So, to my mind outside of America the glutes are important, but only as much so as the other muscles used to make moves sharp.

But I stand, nay, look forward to being vehemently corrected :lol:

Reen.Blom

Where is that Suhaila's video with glutes are made for walking? Absolutely hilarious!

On Ariellahs DVD she teaches to use glutes for shimmies and other hip moves- she emphasizes that while you keep your feet flat on the floor the glutes are the muscules that you use to lift the hips. I thinbk the same on Sera's DVD.... IS it more typical for tribal then?

Kashmir

No expert but I have only ever seen the glute thing in American bellydance. I think there is a glute shimmy, where they just use the glutes. No knees. But I haven't ever seen this outside of this context. There is a video on you tube somewhere of an American doing it on what looks like breakfast TV to me (sorry can't find it, nor remember the name. I think it was a famous American too but wasn't really my thing). But to my mind it is still important to engage muscles in order for the move to be sharp. Therefore on a hip drop/lift if you engage muscles including the glutes, pelvic floor etc if makes it sharper. That is what I was taught by an Egyptian dancer. So, to my mind outside of America the glutes are important, but only as much so as the other muscles used to make moves sharp.

But I stand, nay, look forward to being vehemently corrected :lol:
That's how I see it too.

Jane

I think the glute thing is unique to Suhalia school technique. IMHO think too much glute emphasis is over rated and odd looking. I have never taken from S.S., so I'm not sure how much of the info I'm hearing on the glute subject is really coming from her. My guess is that S.S. brought this in from her ballet training, where the glutes are firmed to keep the hips turned out. I firm the bottom of my butt cheek and the outside of the thigh to catch a hip movment or crisp it up. If I firmed up back there all the time, I'd wear myself out quick and all my movments would have the same tight dynamic. Not what I'm looking for for my dance style; I prefer a softer look.

Jet Phoenix

That is too funny! I was taking a class with Vashti (in Dallas, Tx), and she was showing us how to do that. We were all on the floor, and I just couldn't get those muscles to work...I was concentrating so hard, she just started laughing out loud. I just couldn't find my butt that day!:lol:

Ariella

I'm with Jane, I think glutes are great for making hip locks and such look sharp and crispy in American style dance.