Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Shimmy advice

  1. #21
    V.I.P. Kashmir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    don't forget that you also need to practise with shoulders tilted at various angles and whilst walking and stepping. 2 different patterns steps and shoulders; arms and regular shimmies are a must once you get reasonably competent.
    Yes, you don't want that rigid look. One I like is where your hands start pinkies together and open out in a sorta giving gesture - all with a delicate shoulder shimmy.

    And don't forget the Saudi shoulder shimmy layered on the shoulder roll! :-) (mmm smilies aren't working)

  2. #22
    Senior Member sedoniaraqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    cultural wasteland of the midwestern US
    Posts
    583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magidah View Post

    So the right hamstring pulls knee back on the 1 & and; the left hamstring pulls knee back on e & a. (there are two complete pulls back right and left for each downbeat in the music).
    I questioned the technical validity of a similar description by someone else on bhuz a while back, and never really got an answer to my question.

    It is my understanding that in terms of generating movement, the hamstring curls the leg and the quads extend it. Also, that the hamstring works as an antagonist to stop, slow, or control the action of the quad.

    So when you are shimmying, your hamstrings are working hard not in "pulling the knee" or "straightening the leg", but in decelerating, stopping, and reversing those motions.

    Yes? No?

    Sedonia

  3. #23
    Premium Member Aniseteph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sussex, England
    Posts
    4,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Just shimmied on the A1 at 80 mph. Very scary but the music got me going. didn't keep it up for long though as it is scary. i thnk a supermarket trolly is less scary but equally as good. Don't think I could do a motorbike as any wobbles would be more likely to make you come off.
    OMG that IS scary.

    Shimmies are my pet peeve - not bad at home or with some shimmy-tastic music, but in class I tense up and try too hard so they go wrong.

    And lately my shoulder shimmies tend to turn into a bingo wing wobble if I'm not paying attention. Yuk.

  4. #24
    V.I.P. adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sedoniaraqs View Post
    I questioned the technical validity of a similar description by someone else on bhuz a while back, and never really got an answer to my question.

    It is my understanding that in terms of generating movement, the hamstring curls the leg and the quads extend it. Also, that the hamstring works as an antagonist to stop, slow, or control the action of the quad.

    So when you are shimmying, your hamstrings are working hard not in "pulling the knee" or "straightening the leg", but in decelerating, stopping, and reversing those motions.

    Yes? No?

    Sedonia
    Hi there - I think the BEST description/analysis of the muscles involved comes from Kashmir's site - Hip Rock - as taught by Kashmir
    Normal hip shimmies are faster versions of this (or should be).
    The Hamstrings and gluteals should be relaxed - or you are using them to stop an uncontrolled movement...

    oh yeah - Kashmir's right, Pat and Renee got the idea for shoulder shimmy practice in the car from her!!

    I have decided never to shimmy in the supermarket again, it's way too embarrassing, but the shower is good!

    Hamstrings flex the knee, and extend the hip.
    Quads flex the hip and extend the knee.

    If you're really keen (and it's YOUR body, you should be interested!), head on over to Muscular System - Tutorials & Quizzes On Skeletal Muscle Anatomy and take a look at the origins and insertions of each of the muscles, and the weeny animations that show the muscle and the movements. Fantastic stuff!
    Last edited by adiemus; 04-22-2008 at 05:14 AM.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    get a video of Fifi and copy hers! Always just the knees
    Now, I have not worked with Fifi but I internet-know people who have, and they commented after recent workshops with her that she was most particular about her shimmy NOT being driven by the knees. She apparently said "not leg". And indeed I recently watched some closeup footage of her shimmying and it was most definitely more of an up-down hip rocky type of shimmy than the slightly side to side quality you get with a vigorous Reda-style straight leg shimmy. Although I have no doubt she probably uses more than one.

  6. #26
    V.I.P. Yasmine Bint Al Nubia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    1,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There are so many shimmies and so many ways to do them. Basically a shimmy is any move that can be done on a smaller(and therefore) faster scale. The goal of any shimmy is to be relaxed and work on control first. Speed will follow.
    Yasmine

  7. #27
    V.I.P. jenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colchester UK
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zumarrad View Post
    Now, I have not worked with Fifi but I internet-know people who have, and they commented after recent workshops with her that she was most particular about her shimmy NOT being driven by the knees. She apparently said "not leg". And indeed I recently watched some closeup footage of her shimmying and it was most definitely more of an up-down hip rocky type of shimmy than the slightly side to side quality you get with a vigorous Reda-style straight leg shimmy. Although I have no doubt she probably uses more than one.
    This is good news for those of us who are kneefically challenged. The bellydance police round my way have been insisting that it has to be knees shimmy even when trying to walk with it.

  8. #28
    Premium Member Aniseteph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sussex, England
    Posts
    4,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    The bellydance police round my way have been insisting that it has to be knees shimmy even when trying to walk with it.
    I have no idea how that'd work, though I am shimmifically-challenged! I discovered I can actually walk with a shimmy, and it's not knees, it's the hip rocking type on the leg my weight is on. Weird, it just happened in a workshop and I was thinking where did THAT come from?!

    I can walk with a 3/4 shimmy but only because we learnt it starting so slow and broken down that my brain thinks it isn't a shimmy at all.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I use a walking 3/4 all the time - I find it really hard to walk with any other shimmy. So I don't! LOL.

  10. #30
    V.I.P. adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I am shimmifically-challenged!
    oh yes, that's me! especially 3/4 shimmy...sigh...
    back to going slow and ensuring the tongue IS poking out while shimmying down the hallway....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •