Post Thanks / Like

Default Shareen El Safy...

....her instructional videos have caught my eye....lot of topics I look more instruction in .... Does anybody know where to find some clips of this dancer dancing? I tried to find but without success.
    Also, her dvd are somewhat pricy... maybe someone is interested to sell used one or copy....

Post Thanks / Like

Shareen's strength is in her teaching rather than her dancing - she is a good dancer but I'd be surprised if she's posting herself on YouTube! I have three or four of her teaching tapes and they are all really good value. You get some really good (Egyptian) background on most of them ie where she first saw the move or how a style is danced, plus breakdown of heaps of different moves. Well worth having.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shareen El Safy

Dear Oksants,
    Shareen el Safy, for my money, is the best teacher around for Egyptian belly dance. She not only understands how to make movement happen side by side with cultural and emotional elements. She also knows how to impart that to other dancers. She gives plenty of individual attention and she knows her material. The only thing that I don't like about her teaching is that she teaches a strongish posture as basic, that I see as part of a more dynamic and changing postural structure. I have studied with her often enough to be able to say that I would study with her again at any reasonable opportunity.
    She talks a LOT on her videos and this is one reason why they are so long. However, the info is pretty valuable for the most part. You can learn scads from her on many levels!!!
    I would say that she is also a wonderful performer. She is quite low key and not flashy, but her dancing is true to the feeling and movements and cultural essence we see in Egyptians. She states readily that she is American and dances like one, but she is not giving herself enough credit as far as I can see, for her innate understanding of Egyptian dance.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Default thank you so much..

for your reply... Now I don't know which one to buy... How is this Shik-shak -shok coreo that she teaches there?

Post Thanks / Like

What A'isha said! Shareen has often been a source of inspiration as well as knowledge for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Oksants,
    Shareen el Safy, for my money, is the best teacher around for Egyptian belly dance. She not only understands how to make movement happen side by side with cultural and emotional elements. She also knows how to impart that to other dancers. She gives plenty of individual attention and she knows her material. The only thing that I don't like about her teaching is that she teaches a strongish posture as basic, that I see as part of a more dynamic and changing postural structure. I have studied with her often enough to be able to say that I would study with her again at any reasonable opportunity.
    She talks a LOT on her videos and this is one reason why they are so long. However, the info is pretty valuable for the most part. You can learn scads from her on many levels!!!
    I would say that she is also a wonderful performer. She is quite low key and not flashy, but her dancing is true to the feeling and movements and cultural essence we see in Egyptians. She states readily that she is American and dances like one, but she is not giving herself enough credit as far as I can see, for her innate understanding of Egyptian dance.
    Regards,
    A'isha

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Oksants,
    Regards,
    A'isha
    I agree. I attended one of her workshops here in the UK years ago, and it was and is one of the best workshops I've ever attended. I think she has captured the essence of Egyptian style dance more than any other western teacher I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah shucks...I never got her video I ordered from dahlal (from back in November)...I found myself just the other day about to order off her site...but I've been trying super hard to save money and talked myself out of it...but now rereading these posts I want to go back and order...