Post Thanks / Like

Default How can I make my snake arms more fluid?

Just lots of practice or is there a trick to it that I am missing?
    (I am semi- without a teacher as of right now)

Post Thanks / Like

For me snake arms are from the most boring arm movemement and this is because most dancers get stuck in this movement.
    But ofcourse even if we do it just for 5 seconds in our dance we have to do it gracefully.
    So the trick I use while teaching it is this:
    Start with rolling your shoulders back one by one, a small beautiful circle, not going to up to the head, or near the neck, just roll back.
    Start uplifting your hands/arms, continuing the movement of the shoulders, the feeling that you must have is that the movement start at the shoulder and end at your finger tips with a gracefull way.
    It needs a lot of practice but it's beautifull

Maria Aya, Greece

Post Thanks / Like

Someone who does really fantastic arms, and not just snake arms, is Orit Maftsir (Israeli bellydancer).
    I like your hint Maria, about ending at your fingertips - but for me I like to think of energy or water or something flowing right down from my head past my fingertips and flowing outwards - somehow it makes the movements much more fluid.
    Practice in front of a mirror, and if you can, watch someone good on video or YouTube or something, and with that in your minds' eye, imagine yourself doing the same movement. It's true - imagery works!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Maria. Her description creates small,graceful arm movements that flow along with the rest of the dance.
    Also keep the shoulders squared(down and back) as the neutral starting point, this way you'll have greater range of motion form the shoulder movement
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

thanks you guys for your suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

The fluidity is best supported by driving the movement from your shoulders.
    If you relax your arms and just do a few shoulder rolls, you will see how your arms already respond!
    Driving from the shoulders supports the movement so that you can keep the arms delicate and supple throughout the movement.
    Begin by raising the shoulder, then the arm towards the elbow, then the wrist and releasing...all very slowly...try to make the movement as slow and delicate as possible...do the other arm...then do them together...
    Maria gives great advice about keep the energy moving through the entire arm through the fingertips!
    Gia