Dance in the Church!!!

Alexandros

Hallo everybody ,

in one month from now i have to performe in a Catholic church with my wings :shok: (just a single 5 minutes dance)
I never i had an experience like this before and im wondering if anyone of you did that before so you can help me!

From music i have one idea its a greek song by omega vibes called byzantin meditation if you know it, but im very open to sagetions about the music or for any idea for the "event" if i can called like this.

Take care
Alexandros

da Sage

For liturgical dance, dancers usually select costumes that are more covered and less flashy than for secular performance. I think a white or cream-colored costume would be particularly appropriate. What color are the wings?

Kashmir

I have only once performed in a church. Basically I added fishnets and a semi-transparent layer over my bedleh - ie torso, arms and legs covered. The music I used was pretty mainstream Arabic. I had no problems with the cleric or congregation but this was a protestant church, so pretty liberal.

If you are familiar with the church, go with your gut. Otherwise, maybe ask what "rules" they have, if any.

Alexandros

For liturgical dance, dancers usually select costumes that are more covered and less flashy than for secular performance. I think a white or cream-colored costume would be particularly appropriate. What color are the wings?

The wings are white but with the light you can see also some green in it .
I was thinking also about white total white costume to look a little bit like angel lol:pray:

Alexandros

I have only once performed in a church. Basically I added fishnets and a semi-transparent layer over my bedleh - ie torso, arms and legs covered. The music I used was pretty mainstream Arabic. I had no problems with the cleric or congregation but this was a protestant church, so pretty liberal.

If you are familiar with the church, go with your gut. Otherwise, maybe ask what "rules" they have, if any.

They want me to cover my chest they dont want to be top less as i always do when i perform and i think they are absolute right.
Thats the only thing that they ask for.

Maria_Aya

We need to see photos and video after !!!!
Many many kisses and I'm sure for your great success !!

Maria Aya :D

Reen.Blom

The wings are white but with the light you can see also some green in it .
I was thinking also about white total white costume to look a little bit like angel lol:pray:

Geez that's gonna look Fabulous!! Will youtry to get a vid taken???

Alexandros

Geez that's gonna look Fabulous!! Will youtry to get a vid taken???

I will try but first i have to ask the prist if im aloud to take a video but for pictures i dont think that we gonna have a problemm!
Lets wait till the 1 of May that the event gonna take place.

KuteNurse

That is great! May I ask if there is an ocassion for the dance in the church? Good luck on your performance and I would love to see pictures and video if allowed:)

Alexandros

:yay: the specific day 1 of may for this year according to the catholic church is the day that Jesus went up to the sky (heaven) or i dont know where i dont think so that the drum solo is a good idea but anyhow thanks

Makeda Maysa

I, too, would suggest something instrumental. Maybe something slow and reverent-sounding? I always feel reverent when I listen to Om Kolthoum.:)

I don't know of any songs that would pertinent to the ascension of Christ.:think:

KuteNurse

I do know some Catholic songs from church. Are you planning on dancing to a Catholic song? Or belly dancing music? A suggestion might be to talk with the priest and ask him what he thinks would be appropriate. I am not certain what music would be suitable because I do not know what the occassion is etc. Good luck and let us know what music you decide.:)

Here is a link about Ascension of Christ, basically 40 days after his resurection, he ascends into heaven. There is a custom section...Scroll down... I am trying to find more information for you on the ceremony other than I know the candle is extinguished to symbolize Jesus rising into heaven. I think it is important to be careful, because from what I have read, each religion believes slightly different views.

Ascension

Last edited:

lizaj

I do know some Catholic songs from church. Are you planning on dancing to a Catholic song? Or belly dancing music? A suggestion might be to talk with the priest and ask him what he thinks would be appropriate. I am not certain what music would be suitable because I do not know what the occassion is etc. Good luck and let us know what music you decide.:)

Here is a link about Ascension of Christ, basically 40 days after his resurection, he ascends into heaven. There is a custom section...Scroll down... I am trying to find more information for you on the ceremony other than I know the candle is extinguished to symbolize Jesus rising into heaven. I think it is important to be careful, because from what I have read, each religion believes slightly different views.

Ascension

How about dancing to an oud or kanoon taxseem and going for traditional/"folkloric" look rather than anything glamorous?

da Sage

Music suggestion

There is absolutely beautiful song at the end of the movie "Jesus of Montreal". I have no idea what the words are (both my Latin and my French are bad, and it's been years since I saw the film), but maybe you could source it and use that. This is the scene where I think they are in the subway? And I also think it is an a cappella song.