Is it normal to use a performance name?

Pia

Hi, I am going to my first hafla in a few weeks and one of the girls in my class told me she used a performance name becuase it felt more exotic,I think that my teacher uses her own name.

Do most people use a different name or is it a matter of personal choice?
Sorry if this is a dumb question

Shanazel

Personal choice. When I was performing I used a stage name mostly to protect my privacy at other times. This came about after an unfortunate occurance or two using my real name, which is fairly unusual.

There are no dumb questions here, Pia! Ask what you like.

gilda1979

name

Hej!!

I was wondering the same but how do you choose your performance name?, I also have to change my name for my performances but I have not idea which one will be good for me... Do you know how to do that???

thanks

see you

Shanazel

Sometimes a name is bestowed upon a dancer by a teacher or fellow dancer, other times she choses one for herself. The world is full of books of names and their meanings, though it is a good idea to check the name out with someone who is familiar with the country of origin just in case it has a derogatory connotation. There are plenty of knowledgeable people to run a name past her on the forum. I made my name up by combining a Hebrew name meaning rose and an Arabic word meaning bell.

Jahzaal

I think it's your decision

I believe it is a personal choice. Even though I was dancing, it took me two years to come up with my dance name. I didn't want to just pick any dance name, even though everyone I danced with did use their dance name. If you want to use your name for now, use it. It's what you feel comfortable with.

Last edited:

Pia

HI

I'm not sure if there is any specfic way to do it.The people who have dance names either seem to have used an eastern version of thier own name eg Joanna becomes Yo-Ahn-Na.Others said that they had just picked a nice sounding eastern name.
I have been looking at names and thier meaning on a baby names site to see if i can find any thing pretty with a meaning realated to dance.

A friend suggested the following as good dancer names 'Abal - Wild rose Jameela - Beautiful, graceful, lovely Jumaana - Silver pearl Alimah -Skilled in music or dance -Ma'isah (Walking with a proud, swinging gait

What kind of name were you thinking of?

Aisha Azar

STage names

Hej!!

I was wondering the same but how do you choose your performance name?, I also have to change my name for my performances but I have not idea which one will be good for me... Do you know how to do that???
thanks

Dear Gilda,
When I started dancing, it was customary for teachers to name their students. My second teacher gave me the name A'isha, and I picked up the surname "Azar" many years later when I started doing articles for various magazines. I took it mainly to distinguish me form the other A'ishas and it has worked out well. My teacher named me that because I am pretty intense emotionally. The name means "Living", or sometimes it means "living well", or even just "alive", depending on who you ask. Many of my students ask me to name them when they start dancing and I do so if requested to, or occasionally, I have just started calling someone by an Arabic name because they remind me of something.
When choosing a name for yourself, here are some hints to keep in mind.
You can choose an attribute you have or would like to have. For example if you are a happy smiley person, you might use the name Bessma, which means smiling. Or if you wish you were a stronger leader, you might call yourself Ra'edeh, which means sort of like leader. If you like flowers, you might name yourself Warda ( Rose), or Yasmin (Jasmine). One of the most important things to remember is that you should name yourself something that is easy for you and your clients to say!!
There is also no reason to use a stage name other than the one your family gave you if that's what you prefer.
Regards,
A'isha

Yshka

I never use a stagename, just my first name. There are not many Irisses out there:). I do love the idea of a surname like A'isha's "Azar". I think obtaining a surname would be the best option for me. I do not want to pick it myself though. I'll take one when given to me someday, maybe, till that day I'll be Iris:cool:.

Kashmir

As my given name is Judit - I prefer to use a stage name. Also, it adds a layer between my mundane, engineering self and the performer. However, I teach as myself (although I advertise as "Kashmir").

I named myself as a joke and it has stuck over the years despite being totally inappropriate (male name, part of India).

Farasha Hanem

Hi,

I named myself based on the name I'd chosen for this forum plus another from the 1001 Nights. I like it because it protects privacy, but I always feel a bit strange when talking to people and saying "I am Brea" when that's not my real name. :D Most of the time I danced under my real name, but now I teach and perform as Brea. Privacy can be very important in a career like this, I think.

Although I'm still just a newbie dancer, I have a stage name to protect my private life. :)

My bellydance sisters and brothers on this forum were the ones who helped me find my dance name, "Farasha Hanem," taken for the Arabic words for "butterfly" (Farasha), and "lady" (Hanem). Everyone here was so helpful, and I'm sure if you ask, they would be more than happy to help you, as they helped me. I'm very, very proud of my dance name, because every time I think of it, I think of all my friends here who were kind enough to help me out. Plus, I feel an even closer tie with them, because in a way, they helped "birth" another bellydancer (they gave me a name!)! :D

Think of how you would like your name to describe you as a dancer, and consider also your personality. Are you daring and adventerous, or are you shy and demure? Gentle and graceful, or fiery and passionate? If you think of how you would like your name to describe you, it can give you a platform on which to come up with descriptive words that will make a dance name to fit you and your uniqueness. :) Of course, as it's been mentioned, you don't have to have a stage name; that's a matter of personal choice, but if you value your privacy, don't use your full real name.

adiemus

I've adopted my dance name because it's part of this 'character' that I put on as I dance, and it reflects a part of me that often doesn't get a chance to show in my professional life (it's seen as simply not OK to wear sequins to work when you're doing pain management - I can't see why, but there it is!!). What I like about the process of finding a name is the opportunity to work out why a certain name appeals and another doesn't - and what part of your character and personality you want to allow out to play!!

gisela

Super Moderator
I have tried to find a name, and got some great help, advice and suggestions here, although no name has stuck to me yet. It might be because of my issues with my real name which is very rare at least in my country. I hated it for 25 years and then I came to terms with it and now it feels weird to have another one after that looong process. In Denmark I think it's maybe like 30%/70%, meaning 30% has a stage name, 70% use their birth name.

ETA: I mean, among bellydancers of course. Not among the population in general :D

Jahzaal

As I mentioned before, it took me about two years to come up with Jahzaal. My teacher mentioned that I would need a dance name. She did not pressure me to choose one. I began my search. The names that I liked had meanings that didn't fit me. ie: baby goat, the evil child.... I then took another approach. I started reading the meanings of the names first, then I read the name if I liked the meaning. This one site was so awesome it gave you very detailed meanings of names. I ended up choosing the meaning that describes who I am as a person. Now, I had to change the spelling around a few times. My dance name was being pronounced wrong. Now everyone tends to spell my name wrong, but they do pronounce it right. I don't mind at all. If I can find the site again, I will be more than happy to direct you to it. Good luck finding a name. I know that you will choose one that fits you. Don't get frustrated in the process.;)

Viv

I'll chime in and tell you a stage name isn't required, but if you want one start looking. Try names on. Think about a particualr name you like when your practicing or in class. does it seem to "fit" how you feel about yourself and your dancing? Ask your dacne friends and/or teacher what name they think fits you.
There are distinct advantages to having a stage name if you want to peform professionaly. It can give you a bit of privacy as well as a definate seperation between the glamorus dancer persona and the day to day gal you are.
And because I love that my dance name came from a class joke....We were practicing veil and as usual I was the one with a solid black viel in all these other bright colorful ones. The teacher said something about us looking like a field of butterflies and I joked except for the black raven. well the name stuck and I've been dancing as Raven ever since.

chryssanthi sahar

I use my real name (Chryssanthi) and an Arabian stage name (Sahar), which was given to me by Arabian fans. It is a longer story how the name Sahar was given to me, that's why I'm not going to mention it today. In Greece it is anyway common for most belly dancers to use their real name and an Arabian stage name (like Maria Aya here in the forum. Maria is her real name, Aya is her Arabian name. Or Stella Zahir: Stella real name, Zahir Arabian name).
The funny thing with my Arabian name though is, that many people here in Germany think, this is my Family name:lol: So when I get emails or letters, many people write: "Dear Mrs. Sahar".

Shamsa

my stage name is Shamsa Fahred. Shamsa means "light of the sun" in arabic and Fahred is just the last name of my boyfriend, and i thought it sounded nice together!

Makeda Maysa

Well, I feel that my name chose me. As a child, I liked to read the Bible (yes, I was a bit weird) and I was fascinated with the story of the Queen of Sheba - it's a very small part and it can be missed easily, but the idea of this woman who was wealthy beyond measure traveling with gold and jewels and camels and servants to meet Solomon and learn from him intrigued me. I love the pursuit of knowledge and I love beautiful, sparkly things - she had both!

As I got older, I did more research on the Queen of Sheba and found that history records as her name as Makeda, meaning beautiful. I kept that in the back of my mind for years. When I started my makeup business, I named it Makeda Makeup Artistry and when I became a dancer, I named myself Makeda. Dancing makes me feel beautiful and regal, so it fits. I am in a constant pursuit of more knowledge about the dance and the culture from which it springs ... and I get to wear sparkly things!:dance:

My surname, Maysá, is one I found on a web search for baby names when I was pregnant with my daughter. It means "walks with a proud and swinging gait." I chose to name my daughter something else, but I find that the name fits me, as I do have a pretty distinctive walk, which I inherited from my mother - it is quite swingy, if I do say so.:lol:

Aisha Azar

Your name

Well, I feel that my name chose me. As a child, I liked to read the Bible (yes, I was a bit weird) and I was fascinated with the story of the Queen of Sheba - it's a very small part and it can be missed easily, but the idea of this woman who was wealthy beyond measure traveling with gold and jewels and camels and servants to meet Solomon and learn from him intrigued me. I love the pursuit of knowledge and I love beautiful, sparkly things - she had both!

As I got older, I did more research on the Queen of Sheba and found that history records as her name as Makeda, meaning beautiful. I kept that in the back of my mind for years. When I started my makeup business, I named it Makeda Makeup Artistry and when I became a dancer, I named myself Makeda. Dancing makes me feel beautiful and regal, so it fits. I am in a constant pursuit of more knowledge about the dance and the culture from which it springs ... and I get to wear sparkly things!:dance:

My surname, Maysá, is one I found on a web search for baby names when I was pregnant with my daughter. It means "walks with a proud and swinging gait." I chose to name my daughter something else, but I find that the name fits me, as I do have a pretty distinctive walk, which I inherited from my mother - it is quite swingy, if I do say so.:lol:

Dear Makeda,
I have met you and you live up to your name very well in that you are not only physically beautiful, but have a beautiful, warm personality as well. ( I know this sounds really gushy, but it is true!!). There is another Arabic name that means the same thing as Maysa and that is Mayadeh... same root, I think.
Regards,
A'isha

Makeda Maysa

Awww, A'isha! Thank you so much!

I must say, I was a bit nervous to meet you, knowing that you're the head of the bellydance police and all:lol:, but I found you to be warm and engaging and quite easy to talk to, so thank you for that! I hope we get to meet again, face to face.