Turkish Folds, or Backbends

Erina

How would I go about starting to learn them?
I want to do it properly as to not ruin my back, but I want to learn them pretty soon so I can start to work on my flexibility.

I've found some videos to show dancers I've seen do them:

at 1.50 she does one there

and at 2.20:

Sorry for adding videos as it may seem a bit patronizing, but I understand there are different types of backbends?...

Anyways how do I learn them without causing any damage to my back?

xxx

Gia al Qamar

Honestly? You find a reliable and well trained instructor to show you how.
Learning via a description online or a video is courting disaster...not only to your back, but you could EASILY blow out your knees if you're not supporting this movement correctly.
Even Rachel Brice told me that she KILLS her feet every time she does this drop because she has to come down on her BENT toes before she scoots them out of the way.
Rachel, btw, is doing a version of a Turkish drop, not fold. I've seen a dancer knock herself unconscious doing this badly...
PLEASE be careful.
Gia

Erina

oooh thanks for the word of warning ^^ I think I defiantly will have to consult my teachers! I'll threaten: "you'll just have to teach me or I'll go damage my back and knees!"

It's quite scary to think that some people may just go out and try and learn moves like this without any guidance, not realising they could do serious harm to their body. And knowning ladies can become unconscious is even more terrifying :S
But I guess I'll just practice thigh and back stretches until I start to learn them properly.

Thanks for the advice!

P.S. have you really met Rachel Brice?? That's sounds great ^^

Kashmir

Actually you need to work on your flexibility - and strength and control - first, then learn how to do them. Quad and ab strength is very important. Be aware that some people will never have the flexibility required to do this safely - not all range of motion issues can be improved - like bone orientation - and even those who do can still injure themselves and significantly shorten their dance lives. Also be aware that a "good" back bend takes a little from each joint. A sharp back bend (like folding a bit of paper) is not only ugly but causes huge stress on the lower back.

Still want to go ahead? Then find an experienced teacher to show you how (I had the good luck to have Hadia show me how back when I was young, strong and flexible - not something I'd do today!). You may want to look at a jazz or contemporary teacher as many belly dance teachers care for their students and their own bodies too much to teach this ;) This is not something you can learn remotely.