Neck Disks/Injuries

Sara

Heyas everyone.

I was wondering if any of you had any information about rolling your head back? I know it sounds silly, lol, but my Yoga teacher has paranoid the pansies out of me. She says that when you roll your head back, or tilt it back too far, the disks and bones in your neck rub together and that it's very bad for them and can cause problems and things.

I have noticed that some people roll their head all the way round, and others only to each side and forward. But I was wondering if this is true, and as well, if it is, how you can try and prevent injury and damage.

Mouse

During warm ups and cool downs we are told not to roll the head all the way around as it can cause damage and is bad for you. My brother is a personal trainer who specializes in re-hab and has always been very adamant about this point also.

From WeightWatchers.com fitness page http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=1771
Bad Stretch #5: The Neck Roll
"You don't want to roll your head in a complete circle," says Miller. "It puts too much stress on your neck and your cervical vertebrae. You can damage your spinal column, and add tension and stress to that area."

The alternative: Rolling your head left, forward and right is okay — just don't roll it back. But here's an even better solution: Sit up straight on the floor, look slightly up and raise your head up (not backwards). Feel yourself pulling up through your back and neck.

HTH

Moon

mouse said:
During warm ups and cool downs we are told not to roll the head all the way around as it can cause damage and is bad for you.

My teacher tells us the same.

Same here. Even my Tai chi teacher tells us not to roll our heads to the back.Even when performing the Zar, the head doesn't really whip around, as much as the upper body swings from side to side and the head follows.
Yasmine