Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE
    As for that... well I have nothing agains "Westernized" dance, if the dancer posesses grace, technique and connects with music- fine by me, as long as she does not try to 'sell' it for 'Authentic' whatever[/QUOTE]

It's Ok, people can do what they want to do, but unfortunately that is all you can get for lessons. Pop choreography. If I don't want to listen to it, I don't want to dance to it. But as I started this thread to point out, people don't get presented with enough of the real stuff to know what's what. Actually, I am getting nostalgic for real Western Oriental, real ATS, even real Rachel Brice, instead of teacher's own pick and mix.

the trouble is most classes are full of people who want to be told what to do,and are not being encuoraged to find out anything about the dance for themselves.

I used to think Rachel Brice was fantastic, based on what I knew then. I looked around some more, found out that what I was being taught as egyptian dance wasn't thwe end of the story, tried different workshops/classes/dvds.

My personal dance position is now that I aspire towards egyptian style, because I like the fluidity, and prefer to improvise. However, I am perfectly content that my dancing will retain western elements from my personality.

However, most of the people who started dancing with me have no idea of the range of styles. Some of them have chosen tribal with enthusiasm, and that would probably have been the right choice for them with more knowledge.

However, just as they don't know the charecteristics of the styles they have not adopted, they don't know where the elements of their teacher's style come from, and they do not do tribal style any favours. What I see seems to be getting further from BD as such.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    [QUOTE
    As for that... well I have nothing agains "Westernized" dance, if the dancer posesses grace, technique and connects with music- fine by me, as long as she does not try to 'sell' it for 'Authentic' whatever
    It's Ok, people can do what they want to do, but unfortunately that is all you can get for lessons. Pop choreography. If I don't want to listen to it, I don't want to dance to it. But as I started this thread to point out, people don't get presented with enough of the real stuff to know what's what. Actually, I am getting nostalgic for real Western Oriental, real ATS, even real Rachel Brice, instead of teacher's own pick and mix.

the trouble is most classes are full of people who want to be told what to do,and are not being encuoraged to find out anything about the dance for themselves.

I used to think Rachel Brice was fantastic, based on what I knew then. I looked around some more, found out that what I was being taught as egyptian dance wasn't thwe end of the story, tried different workshops/classes/dvds.

My personal dance position is now that I aspire towards egyptian style, because I like the fluidity, and prefer to improvise. However, I am perfectly content that my dancing will retain western elements from my personality.

However, most of the people who started dancing with me have no idea of the range of styles. Some of them have chosen tribal with enthusiasm, and that would probably have been the right choice for them with more knowledge.

However, just as they don't know the charecteristics of the styles they have not adopted, they don't know where the elements of their teacher's style come from, and they do not do tribal style any favours. What I see seems to be getting further from BD as such.[/QUOTE]

Got it all in one post well done! Go to the top of my class anyway!
    The problem is that in their race to seem to be in charge, teachers forget to be just that little bit humble and remember what they have learnt and their duty to pass on what they learnt (ie Egyptian style)to those who want to do it to the best of their ability.
    On the other hand ....ho hum .....many of the students will not be like you, Jenc..they will be "having a bit of fun" which some see has fine.
    BUT If you make a mockery of this dance it ain't fine by me
    At least I know I am not alone in telling my students I dance Egyptian style and so will they and then I will teach them ATS improv and .....they should go to as many expert teachers at good workshops and festivals as they can.
    Like you, I know too many teachers who keep their students in the dark about what is going on out there. That there is more than their hour's class and more than learning a group dance to pussy cat dolls.
    By all means get 'em up for it by way of a lively bit of pop but get down to it seriously as well!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123