manchester classes, help please?

*leila*

Because of time and location there are only 2 possible classes I can attend, I am a total beginner, and i am so glad I came across this site, the first class, is with Katy C part of the learnbellydance.co.uk she is based at the longfield Suit , prestwich.

The second class is with Opium Belly dance, she has a class at the dancehouse Theatre on Oxford road Manchester.

Both are on a Tuesday night.

What i really want to know is if anyone has been to these class, or currently are and would you recommend them.

Any help would be really appreciated.

lizaj

Because of time and location there are only 2 possible classes I can attend, I am a total beginner, and i am so glad I came across this site, the first class, is with Katy C part of the learnbellydance.co.uk she is based at the longfield Suit , prestwich.

The second class is with Opium Belly dance, she has a class at the dancehouse Theatre on Oxford road Manchester.

Both are on a Tuesday night.

What i really want to know is if anyone has been to these class, or currently are and would you recommend them.

Any help would be really appreciated.

I personally do not know Opium..she is new to the scene but I do know Katy Carmichael and she is very sincere about getting folks to do this dance properly and a nice dancer herself to the bargain. I don't think you will go far wrong with her .

Have you also considered Tracy Gibbs? She is on Orientaldancer.net and a fantastic dancer, one of the best in the UK!
There's also Madeleine Mitchelle and Michelle Pender. I can heartedly reccomend Madeleine , she taught me originally.

karena

Can you get to here?
bellydance classes and workshops
One of the most respected dancers in the UK.

I don't know either of the others, so can't really comment. Both have appeared here in discussions before. The first were in the context of does anyone know there ladies and the experience they had, but I don't recall that anyone had any first hand experience. The other was a comment about the wording of the advert but again I don't think anyone had any first hand experience. Both these discussions were, I think, in the last 6 months so you could see if you could find them. Personally, I don't think one can comment based purely on wording of an advert, as advertising is just a means to get people through the door, so sometimes people might say all sorts to get people. You never know.

Both look to do a mix of styles, which is a huge topic of discussion here. I'm not sure what you know about belly dance, but there are many different styles, and there are views that these shouldn't be mixed up (sometimes unless explicitly so) - that is a really brief summary for the purposes of this answer, so please no-one condemn me for it. This isn't the place imo for the whole debate to be opened up.

Imo, some classes are better than none, and it you can't make it to the Jamila ones on Mondays then go with the one that sounds better to you. But, keep an eye on the belly dancing world outside of those classes too.

And you might have already been here, but just in case here's a list of classes. Mancs is under lancs, and Tracey Gibbs is the Jamila above. But I don't know anything about these dancers on here (except Jamila) to comment either
Arabic dance classes in the UK

Hope that's some help, and good luck.

Last edited:

*leila*

Thank you so much ladies for your quick replies, I did look at Tracy Gibbs, first of all, but i cannot make Monday nights due to my kids activities, :(
which is such a shame.