April Nile Festival in Cairo, anyone?

Eshta

Well with only a week to go, I am getting more and more excited!

I decided to take the plunge and attend a dance festival outside of the UK for the first time ever, and where better to go than Cairo, right? Actually, I had been planning a shopping trip for some time and the dates worked together perfectly so figured it had to be a sign!

Will any of our other OD.netters be in attendance? Does anyone have any advice for me on how to stay sane in what I'm anticipating to be a rather crazy environment? I'm travelling by myself (but have been to Cairo before so aware the impact a blond western lady walking down the street by herself can have :shok:), anything about anything just to give me an excuse to get all excited?! Any good contacts? Any advice on where I can pick up a GOOD QUALITY shamedan?

:yay::dance::yay:!!

Thanks from a VERY excited Eshta..!

Suheir

Wonderful, Eshta! I haven't been to the Nile Group but I can safely say that Suzanne and Mohammed Abou Shebika, who are co-organisers, and also organise the Stockholm Belly Dance Festival, are great hosts, knowledgeable, talented and friendly.

Maria Aya is our Nile Group veteran, she is totally addicted! :D

Have a fantastic time! :D

Safran

:yay: I'm going! :yay:
I've been counting days until the flight, and it has come down to mere 5 by now. You can imagine how much of a serious working week I'll be having before that ;)

So, Eshta, I'd love to have a little meetup with you and with the rest of the bunch - there will be more of us there.

Outi

Sadly I'm out of Cairo at the moment, so I will miss all of you.
There are some good and cheap places to eat in Dokki, so don't miss them.
Metro is great and the Dokki station is not too far from the hotel. The cars for ladies are NOT in the front of the train as they used to be. Now they are exactly in the middle. They have stickers above the doors. Two cars in day time and only one after 6 pm or so.

Outi of Cairo

Eshta

Thank you Suheir, I didn't realise they were behind the Stockholm festival (another one on my list of dance holidays if this goes well!)

Maariku, I'm thinking we need to organise something one evening! By the way, I am sure I will be equally as unproductive this week at work. I am equally as excited by the prospect of feeling some sun on my skin given that I woke up to SNOW this morning!!

Outi, no!! I had been hoping to come see you on the boat at some point! I have already e-mailed Lorna but was hoping to see you too!!!! But thank you for the info, and maybe next time...

karena

SThe cars for ladies are NOT in the front of the train as they used to be. Now they are exactly in the middle. They have stickers above the doors. Two cars in day time and only one after 6 pm or so.

Outi of Cairo

Do you have to go in the ladies' cars, or it it just there if you want to? What if a man and woman are travelling together? - do they have to separate?

Eshta

This is Zeina (Suzanne) teaching at the Nile Group festival:

That's such an adoroble choreo, I haven't seen or heard much about her before, but I have booked a workshop in with her towards the end of the week. I am sure I'm not going to be disappointed!

Maria_Aya

Unfortunately due to family/work reasons for first time after 7 festivals I cant be able to attend :(((
And most of all I'm sad cause I'll loose my one opportunity to meet with our dear Aisha Azar that will be same time in Cairo.
Kidsssssss i'm sure you will have fun, and learn a lot.
Give kisses to the teachers from me (Zeina IS fantastic) as others also.
Around 20 greeks are gonna be there, so dont miss them.
Look for Nelly one of my students (Maariku !!! this is for you) she have orders for me to help you for costumes and things around.
Many many kisses
I'm jealous
... and crazy... thinking of poping on Friday :cool: even for 2 days

Maria Aya

taheya

I am so jealous of everyone who is going to Nile group!! Have a fantastic time and do tell us all about it! I am really hoping to go to the November event, all being well.
Maria you are so lucky to be able to just 'pop' over to Cairo....im green with envy!!

Stella Zahir

Well with only a week to go, I am getting more and more excited!

I decided to take the plunge and attend a dance festival outside of the UK for the first time ever, and where better to go than Cairo, right? Actually, I had been planning a shopping trip for some time and the dates worked together perfectly so figured it had to be a sign!

Will any of our other OD.netters be in attendance? Does anyone have any advice for me on how to stay sane in what I'm anticipating to be a rather crazy environment? I'm travelling by myself (but have been to Cairo before so aware the impact a blond western lady walking down the street by herself can have :shok:), anything about anything just to give me an excuse to get all excited?! Any good contacts? Any advice on where I can pick up a GOOD QUALITY shamedan?

Hello Eshta,
I will be in Nile group.Of course i can help you with anything you want.
I've been to Cairo several times.I will send you an e-mail with my mobile phone.Hope to meet there!!!