More kalidji, different thread

Shanazel

More kalidji, but I thought I'd put it here under costumes instead of dance styles. Yesterday a friend of mine who spent many years living in Oman loaned me her collection of Omani embroidery and thobes so I can study them. Oh, gorgeous, fine filmy black fabric emboidered in massive amounts of gold and silver! Headscarves and decorations for the bottom of pants and panels of embroidery to be used on necklines and sleeves. She says the embroideries are done freestyle on "ancient sewing machines." She had a neckline and front panel done in silver and gold that- oh, be still my heart!- she gave to me as a gift! Costume making time!! I think I will use it for a beladi dress instead of a thobe since I need something to wear for a cane dance.

Shanazel

I will try. I never have posted a picture before, but reckon I won't be able to learn any younger. One of the thobes is very long, and Ann showed me how women draped the ends of the sleeves over their heads as a veil, which brought the hem up to a walkable length.

Aisha Azar

Thobes

Dear Shanazel,
The thobes and undergarments sound lovely!! I have underdresses, but not pants with mine. Oman, by the way is kind of different from a lot of the Gulf nations. Even the head gear of the men is more a turban than kufiyah and ighal type of arrangement.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

Both of the thobes would definitely need an underdress. One is made of a chiffon-type fabric and the other looks like well-woven cheesecloth, if you can imagine that, very light and airy. The embroidered areas are done on solid cotton. Is there a particular kind of garment that is worn underneath? And another question, this one regarding the beladi dresses worn for cane dance: in all the dances I have seen, women wear the dress split up each side to the thigh with bare legs. Very pretty. Are harem pants or any kind of leg coverings ever worn?