Is Fifi Abdo still dancing?

Khaira

Hi,

just read DR. Mo Geddawi's interview. He says his favorite present dancers are Fifi Abdou, Dina, and newer dancers Randa, Sorraya, Katia and Nancy.

First, is Fifi Abdo Still dancing? I knew she stopped some time ago...
Second, who is Nancy?

Thanks

Khaira

Aisha Azar

Fifi

Hi,

just read DR. Mo Geddawi's interview. He says his favorite present dancers are Fifi Abdou, Dina, and newer dancers Randa, Sorraya, Katia and Nancy.

First, is Fifi Abdo Still dancing? I knew she stopped some time ago...
Second, who is Nancy?

Thanks

Khaira

Dear Khaira,
At her Texas event last year, Fifi said she was now acting and not really dancing any more. She is in a soap opera that I have seen a couple of times. She also occasionally hosts talk shows, like during Ramadan. I am not sure if she was just caught up in the moment or if she meant it for sure, but she said she "might" start dancing again.
Regards,
A'isha

Salome

Administrator
What is the deal with going into dance retirement and coming out again multiple times? It seems like many of the Egyptian stars do that.

Khaira

Well, it's either the fame of comeback's or actually missing the dance passion in life...

Aisha Azar

Fifi etc.

Dear Salome,
I think that is is just their way of gradually breaking loose from the dancing, and in some cases the big $$ to be made might be a part of the motivation as well. I know my second teacher was Arab and she lived here in the States and she retired at least three times that I know of!!
Regards,
A'isha

Makeda Maysa

I think it's the same as big basketball players (Michael Jordan) and rappers (Jay-Z)and whatnot supposedly retiring and coming back over and over ... I think one gets used to stardom, fame, adulation and it's hard to leave it.

Khaira

Dear Khaira,
At her Texas event last year, Fifi said she was now acting and not really dancing any more. She is in a soap opera that I have seen a couple of times. She also occasionally hosts talk shows, like during Ramadan. I am not sure if she was just caught up in the moment or if she meant it for sure, but she said she "might" start dancing again.
Regards,
A'isha

Aischa,

How is Fifi Abdo like as a teacher?

Aisha Azar

Fifi

Dear Khaira,
She is like most of the dancers who are entertainers and not really teachers.We often expect the famous dancers of Egypt to be fabulous teachers, but mostly they are not. Her English is very limited and she does not do much by way of explanation, but what you CAN learn is the spirit and feeling and some of her specific movement style, though she does not really break things down. I would probably take another class with her if there were not millions of people in the room and no mirrors, because I liked what she is able to impart about other things than movement. I would say that everyone should take a class with her at least once!
Regards,
A'isha

Last edited:

Tarik Sultan

I doubt Fifi would come out of retirement. For one thing, the client base no longer exists the way it use to. Samia Gamal had come out of retirement for a brief moment before she died, but at that time, there was still a market out there that made it possible for her to do so. the same is not true now. I just heard that the night club where Dina use to dance closed. This is the state of things now. So unless she was going to do it periodically in theater shows or concerts, I'd doubt it. The economic incentive just isn't there.