Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Swords Banned in UK?!

Last edited by Brea; 05-15-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a case of the law is an ass
    I am going to get in touch with our MP, send Gerome's painting and a photo of us tribal dancers and say..... well if you let Highland dancers have swords and not us Mille Eastern and ATS dancers and English swordsmen...who's a little racist then?

Then it will be fair cop, gov 'cos I have a sword and will continue to dance with it. So Mr Home Office why don't you control the little b*stards killing each other with knives and leave the rest of us be?!

We can still use old swords just can't buy new ones so I reckon the stalls will be busy at JoY before the ban beigns next month.

Post Thanks / Like

How bizarre! I'd call it a "prop" not a weapon if anyone gave me any trouble. I wonder if they can be shipped dirctly to someone from out of country. How many deaths by sword does the the UK have in the average year? Seriously you can kill someone with anything. I took a class in it once called "Weapons of Opportunity". I'm glad to live in the US where I can have my guns, swords, daggers, crossbows, etc.

I can't remembe who said "An armed society is a polite society".

Change this for belly dance "An armed dancer has a polite audience".

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

This legislation was passed in response to the number of attacks using imitation Samurai swords: BBC NEWS | UK | Ban on imitation Samurai swords

I thought the ban had already come into effect as eBay has already stopped all listings of Samurai swords?

The ban *is* already in effect: Imitation Samurai swords banned | Home Office
    Last edited by Suheir; 04-10-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There's quite some difference between the sharpness of a samurai sword and the sharpness of a bellydance sword I'd say

Post Thanks / Like

Are belly dance swords considered Samurai Swords?

Post Thanks / Like

Anything with a curved blade and over 50cm in length, you can keep what you already have, this just prohibits the purchase and sale as well as importation of them. However, there are exemptions, as far as we can tell right now that means you will need to be a member of a repuatable group with a justified reason to buy a sword and insurance to use it, if you can prove that then yes you can still buy them.

Post Thanks / Like

From the tribe link Brea posted

Please, Please take the time to contact Jonathan and request that he put forward to the Home Office that bellydancers and tribal dancers are made exempt from the VCR Bill. He is a nice guy and has agreed to be the contact point for this query. It will take a huge volume of dancers contacting him to make a difference, so please take the time to write to him.

His contact details are Jonathan.Batt@Homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
    Ooh, that's irresistible, lets raise the profile of belly dance at the Home Office, or at least annoy them a bit ! And I don't even have a sword.

Just pray that we don't get gangs of maniacs running amok with canes, or they'll ban those too. And some of those costume coins are a bit sharp...

Post Thanks / Like

indeed you take someones's eye out with a coinbelt But yes the more people who write and show that they don't support the ban the better.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's a bit unsettling...I wonder where the inspiration for this law comes from? And why are belly dancers involved? The link to the Tribe doesn't explain that.

I'm sure everyone in the U.K. will swarm his e-mail box, but hopefully there will be some who can present a well thought argument.

Hey, Shimmy sisters you can always come to the States and dance
    Yasmine

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast