Swords Banned in UK?!

lizaj

Just a case of the law is an ass
I am going to get in touch with our MP, send Gerome's painting and a photo of us tribal dancers and say..... well if you let Highland dancers have swords and not us Mille Eastern and ATS dancers and English swordsmen...who's a little racist then?

Then it will be fair cop, gov 'cos I have a sword and will continue to dance with it. So Mr Home Office why don't you control the little b*stards killing each other with knives and leave the rest of us be?!

We can still use old swords just can't buy new ones so I reckon the stalls will be busy at JoY before the ban beigns next month.:lol:

Jane

:mad::shok::mad::rolleyes:

How bizarre! I'd call it a "prop" not a weapon if anyone gave me any trouble. I wonder if they can be shipped dirctly to someone from out of country. How many deaths by sword does the the UK have in the average year?:rolleyes: Seriously you can kill someone with anything. I took a class in it once called "Weapons of Opportunity". I'm glad to live in the US where I can have my guns, swords, daggers, crossbows, etc.

I can't remembe who said "An armed society is a polite society".

Change this for belly dance "An armed dancer has a polite audience".

Moon

There's quite some difference between the sharpness of a samurai sword and the sharpness of a bellydance sword I'd say :rolleyes:

Pia

Anything with a curved blade and over 50cm in length, you can keep what you already have, this just prohibits the purchase and sale as well as importation of them. However, there are exemptions, as far as we can tell right now that means you will need to be a member of a repuatable group with a justified reason to buy a sword and insurance to use it, if you can prove that then yes you can still buy them.

Aniseteph

From the tribe link Brea posted

Please, Please take the time to contact Jonathan and request that he put forward to the Home Office that bellydancers and tribal dancers are made exempt from the VCR Bill. He is a nice guy and has agreed to be the contact point for this query. It will take a huge volume of dancers contacting him to make a difference, so please take the time to write to him.

His contact details are Jonathan.Batt@Homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

Ooh, that's irresistible, lets raise the profile of belly dance at the Home Office, or at least annoy them a bit :D! And I don't even have a sword.

Just pray that we don't get gangs of maniacs running amok with canes, or they'll ban those too. :rolleyes: And some of those costume coins are a bit sharp...

Pia

indeed you take someones's eye out with a coinbelt:lol: But yes the more people who write and show that they don't support the ban the better.

Wow! That's a bit unsettling...I wonder where the inspiration for this law comes from? And why are belly dancers involved? The link to the Tribe doesn't explain that.

I'm sure everyone in the U.K. will swarm his e-mail box, but hopefully there will be some who can present a well thought argument.

Hey, Shimmy sisters you can always come to the States and dance:D
Yasmine

Reen.Blom

Anything with a curved blade and over 50cm in length, you can keep what you already have, this just prohibits the purchase and sale as well as importation of them. However, there are exemptions, as far as we can tell right now that means you will need to be a member of a repuatable group with a justified reason to buy a sword and insurance to use it, if you can prove that then yes you can still buy them.

Are there bellydance swords less than 50cm? Im sure i would manage a 45....:think::lol:

Pia

probably and that would be legit-obviously the government don't think anyone will work that out, although according to my partner (sword expert) there are new plans to ban all swords of all kind this year , that may include all kinds of edged weapons.

Great is'nt it?

Eshta

probably and that would be legit-obviously the government don't think anyone will work that out, although according to my partner (sword expert) there are new plans to ban all swords of all kind this year , that may include all kinds of edged weapons.

Great is'nt it?

Pia, I must confess you have truly captured my imagination by casually throwing into the mix that your partner is a 'sword expert', as if that was a perfectly mundane thing to do with one's life, as in "my partner is a builder/plumber/businesman/politician/sword expert" :lol:! I have been trying to fathom out how exactly one winds up a sword expert, please do elaborate as I'm intrigued!

*Sigh* don't get me started on this! Oops, too late!

I have a theory that in every "civilised" society there comes a point where the lawmakers have run out of things to do and instead make up silly things to keep themselves occupied. I mean let's face it, once you've got down the "thou shallt not steal", "no murder" and no "coveting of the neighbour's ass", you've pretty much covered the basics! There must come a point where are the rules necessary to govern a society are in place and only need to be updated as time passes for new technology, etc? But we seldom unmake laws...

We're quite into 'banning' stuff in the UK these days, rather than actually doing anything significant about the problems. National health service in crisis? Ban smoking! Terrorists trying to blow up stuff? Ban liquids! Ban bags! (ok, not quite but nearly!) Government not living up to its election promises? Ban fox hunting! Kids being arrested for beating to death pensioners? Why, ban sword dancing - of course!

I wish I'd bought a prettier sword but don't suppose I'd have got to use it anyway :( Bring on the 49 cm swords, I'm ready!

If it doesn't have a curve blade is that ok? Because if it's not curved, you can't hurt anyone, right...?

Sorry, really long day, being cranky! Going to tuck myself up in bed!

Maria_Aya

I have a theory that in every "civilised" society there comes a point where the lawmakers have run out of things to do and instead make up silly things to keep themselves occupied. I mean let's face it, once you've got down the "thou shallt not steal", "no murder" and no "coveting of the neighbour's ass", you've pretty much covered the basics! There must come a point where are the rules necessary to govern a society are in place and only need to be updated as time passes for new technology, etc? But we seldom unmake laws...

We're quite into 'banning' stuff in the UK these days, rather than actually doing anything significant about the problems. National health service in crisis? Ban smoking! Terrorists trying to blow up stuff? Ban liquids! Ban bags! (ok, not quite but nearly!) Government not living up to its election promises? Ban fox hunting! Kids being arrested for beating to death pensioners? Why, ban sword dancing - of course!
!

Very interesting but not truth.
As I'm working for 20 years in the part of greek and european laws, nothing is so naif as it seems.
Example: National health service in crisis? Ban smoking!! NOPE ...
Huge Insurance companies having problems with people that had problems with smoking and they had to pay a great deal of money so the companies give so much presure to goverments so they can keep their money.
Band liquids, as there is not enough security to keep things safe.
And these are normal cases...
If people that are inside the law making circle ever decide to make a book (be sure they are gonna be dead after) people would learn things that will change our idea about everything.
Sometimes i think that i dont have to complain for the bellydance world, as i've lived 20 years the politic world and bellydance is just kindergarden !!

Maria Aya

p.s. can someone ban the rudeness? i just got hit by someone running at the road 1 hour ago, and not even excusse !!!!!

Pia

Pia, I must confess you have truly captured my imagination by casually throwing into the mix that your partner is a 'sword expert', as if that was a perfectly mundane thing to do with one's life, as in "my partner is a builder/plumber/businesman/politician/sword expert" :lol:! I have been trying to fathom out how exactly one winds up a sword expert, please do elaborate as I'm intrigued

*Sigh* don't get me started on this! Oops, too late!!

I know,its always fun when people ask "so what do you do"He has been training since he was a kid and is an expert on Rapier(the kind of sword you see in zorro) He writes books,runs a few sword schools and demonstrates all over the place.

As for british lawmaking at the moment its all about winning votes by pretending to have a tough stance.This sword legistaion is a joke as anyone who can show they need a sword (dancers,martail artists,actors,reenactors etc) will still be able to buy them with insurance and proof of asome kind.Existing swords are not being registered so there is no deterent to people buying from friends.Therefore anyone with half a brain can probably circumvent this bill.
But I guess it looked really good on paper:(

Last edited by a moderator:

lizaj

I'm not in the UK, but I already emailed him. I will be going to grad school in Scotland, after all!

The UK seems a very odd place to ban swords.

Why?
We ban guns too!
Sadly it doesn't stop people killing each other with them.
This has all come about because a MP(member of parliament) was attached by a guy with a replica samurai sword and my MP is going to be assailed by letter by his constituent belly dancers and Morris men.

watch this space plastic forks will be next..Bhuzzers will get that!

lizaj

Pia, I must confess you have truly captured my imagination by casually throwing into the mix that your partner is a 'sword expert', as if that was a perfectly mundane thing to do with one's life, as in "my partner is a builder/plumber/businesman/politician/sword expert" :lol:! I have been trying to fathom out how exactly one winds up a sword expert, please do elaborate as I'm intrigued!

*Sigh* don't get me started on this! Oops, too late!

I wish I'd bought a prettier sword but don't suppose I'd have got to use it anyway :( Bring on the 49 cm swords, I'm ready!

If it doesn't have a curve blade is that ok? Because if it's not curved, you can't hurt anyone, right...?

Sorry, really long day, being cranky! Going to tuck myself up in bed!

Eshta you are far too young to sound like me!:D