Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question hovering - how do you do it?

Hey everyone
    Take a look at these vids: All the dancers are moving with keeping the upper part of their bodies completely still, but everyone has a different way to do it. I think some bend their knees, some step quickly to the side, some have one foot in front of the other. I haven't figured this out yet. I try a lot, but because I'm simply immitating, but not quite shure what they're doing, it just never looks right well, stepping to the side seems to work out with socks on the kitchen floor but this isn't how wer'e supposed to do it right ? And after some time my knees start hurting the way I try it (no matter if I bend them or not)... Any advice? Thanks a lot in advance.

p.s. proceed with caution I'm a youtube addict

Last edited by marob; 04-11-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry I did not understand really what movement you mean. If it is moving without moving the upper body, then you just have to isolate that part and it is normal like walking - usually the upper body does not move (no undulation no circles etc.). I am sorry I really don't see exactly so I cannot help you BUT: If your knees hurt no matter what after a while then you ABSOLUTELY should go and see a doctor. Knees should not hurt! Also, consult it with you dance teacher, she should correct you in case the hurting knees come from incorrectly exercised movement

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I'm sorry for not making myself clear... Sorry.
    It is the movement Hannan Sultan does after about dancing for a minute.

the others I posted are partly very different from her movements.
    For example Emily Alrick here (after 2:20)which is totally different

She is basically moving her knees for this movent

Post Thanks / Like

Grrr. These videos are apparently: "no longer available"...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why this is... I can view those vids on my PC...
    Maybe the original links can help???

The last two were:

YouTube - Hannan Sultan - belly dance bellydance Rakkasah East '06
    YouTube - Emily Alrick - drum solo
    Last edited by marob; 04-11-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You mean the Aziza floaty step?
    I saw Yemaya do this step close up recently in a performance. She studied with Aziza so I assume she must have learned it from her. She doesn't step with her feet side by side, but rather with one foot in front of the other and the legs very close together. She takes tiny, TINY..but very quick steps to the side, on the balls of her feet, NOT flat footed. And that's how she seems to glide effortlessly from one side of the stage to the other. It seems to me (and this is my own observation) that if you step with your feet side by side, you will be more likely to bounce than if you put one foot in front of the other and step with the back foot. Itīs more difficult to do it with one foot in front and legs tight, but it looks better. It takes alot of practice though, to keep from bouncing up and down as you step.

Regards
    Priscilla

Quote Originally Posted by marob View Post
    I don't know why this is... I can view those vids on my PC...
    Maybe the original links can help???

The last two were:

YouTube - Hannan Sultan - belly dance bellydance Rakkasah East '06
    YouTube - Emily Alrick - drum solo
    Last edited by PriscillaAdum; 04-11-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot Priscilla
    I will definetly try that!!!!!!!!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I love that step and I hope to learn how to do it. It just seems like you are floatng across the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that is how you do it, you basically are squeezing your knees together with one foot in front of the other, and your steps are as she said, TINY TINY TINY. It helps to use your ankle to sort of 'swing' your leading foot for the step, like a little knee for your foot. Your knees should be very bent, more than usual, and you should be VERY on the balls of your feet -- like you're wearing a 4 inch heel, not just like you're on the balls with your feet up a little.

BTW I don't do this movement well because I don't practice it, I like how it looks but not well enough to do it myself. BUT I do get practice in class, we were working on a choreography that utilitized this move.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...I have such a hard time doing moves on my toes because of having plantar fascitis...Hopefully someday I will learn this dance step.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast