Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Do the Bourre in Ballet Dancing | ExpertVillage Videos

I think this a borre (or bourre)with no turn out and feet in parallel. Does this sound right? This is how I learned it for MED.

Post Thanks / Like

Welllllll....kind of. But not really. The idea is the same but the ballet step is done differently. In the ballet instruction she is really bending and unbending her front knee so that her feet lift daintily up off the floor. When this move is done in bellydance, the knees don't bend and unbend this much, and the feet are only lifted enough so as to "scoot" over to the side. The resulting look of the two steps is really different, although the mechanics seem to be somewhat similar.

Regards
    Priscilla

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    How to Do the Bourre in Ballet Dancing | ExpertVillage Videos

I think this a borre (or bourre)with no turn out and feet in parallel. Does this sound right? This is how I learned it for MED.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for your advice
    The bourre-video confuses me, because the instructor is having her front leg in a bent position, but the back leg doesn't seem to be bent at all. Is this how we're supposed to do it? I thought we should bend both our knees?

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather say that in the aziza-style move (hanan clip), the knee isn't bent at all (or very little), just like Priscilla said.
    Last edited by Ranya; 04-13-2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: ups, word was missing

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I finally got up off my lazy butt and actually did the move while watching my knees and no, they don´t bend at all as you point out. Not even a little bit. They're just relaxed, but not bent.

Regards
    Priscilla

Quote Originally Posted by Ranya View Post
    I'd rather say that in the aziza-style move (hanan clip), the isn't bent at all (or very little), just like Priscilla said.

Post Thanks / Like

I think she is exagerating the bend of the knee a bit so you can see it in the video. This does have to be adjusted for belly dance, but it's the basic idea. I think it looks best traveling to the side with something else layered over it.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=marob;69660]Hey everyone
    Take a look at these vids: All the dancers are moving with keeping the upper part of their bodies completely still, but everyone has a different way to do it. I think some bend their knees, some step quickly to the side, some have one foot in front of the other. I haven't figured this out yet. I try a lot, but because I'm simply immitating, but not quite shure what they're doing, it just never looks right well, stepping to the side seems to work out with socks on the kitchen floor but this isn't how wer'e supposed to do it right ? And after some time my knees start hurting the way I try it (no matter if I bend them or not)... Any advice? Thanks a lot in advance.

p.s. proceed with caution I'm a youtube addict

QUOTE]

I studied ballet for years before belly dancing and I do this move with my thighs close together, side by side and sometimes with my legs crossed. It is similar to a Boure´e in ballet. The key is that whether your legs or crossed or not, keep them very close together. You can also put small controlled hip drops in while traveling with this. If I do the hip movement with it, my knees are spent just slightly.

Amarise
    Last edited by Amarise; 04-21-2008 at 04:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

How I do this:

You're up on the balls of your feet.
    The foot of the direction you are traveling in is in front.
    The feet and legs stay very close together.
    Tip toe to the side using very small, quick steps.
    Use the knees (keeping them soft) to keep the hips level.
    Support from the core and glutes to hold the isolation.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a clip of my teacher Yemaya doing the step combined with hip drops (at 44:00) She doesn't call it the Aziza Floaty Step though She has a different name for it, but I can't remember what it is.

YouTube - Village Bazaar Yemaya Bellydance

How do you embed youtube clips here?
    Last edited by PriscillaAdum; 05-08-2008 at 02:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Priscilla
    You must be very happy to have her as a teacher, she's absolutely gorgeous. When watching a Youtube clip there's always a grey square on the right side. There is written "embed" somewhere, just copy the words below. There is a little You tube sign if you reply to a thread. Click it and fill the copied words in between the brackets. Hope you know what I'd like to say, my English isn't very good...

Thanks again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast