Belly Dancing When Pregnant??

sweetescape83

Hi every1

Me and my partner are trying for another baby, I was just wondering if it safe to continue with belly dancing while you are pregnant?
Especially within those vital first few months.

I know most gentle exercises are good for you while you are pregnant, just not sure what the belly dancing would be like :think:

Can anyone help?
As I'm not pregnant yet, It not's really important, but I would like to know before I pay for the next 12 lessons in bulk.

Thanks

adiemus

The short answer is yes, you're quite safe. The most that could happen is in the last three months of pregnancy you may find your ligaments around your pelvis relax and you may get some back pain, also the weight of the baby alters your posture slightly, so you may find it more difficult to achieve a neutral pelvic tilt, but otherwise it's fine! Actually it's probably helpful as the muscles around the torso and pelvis are stronger and more flexible as a result of the exercise.

Khaira

Hello,

Im Khaira from Estonia. Im an oriental dancer and teacher. I have made a university research "Oriental Dance During Pregnancy". Its a 45 page long work made thanks to the cooperation of Estonian and Finnish oriental dance teachers who have had the experience of dance and carrying a baby at the same time. Also two mid-wife's have participated with their thoughts related to the subject.
Unfortunately it's only in Estonian at the moment.

The main points You need to consider are:

1. Oriental dance is safe during pregnancy ONLY if You have prior oriental dance experience. This means, it's familiar to Your body and You have adapted the correct body posture.

2. Correct technique is used during dance.

3. Listening to Your body. This sounds like a big cliche, but this its the best advice. For many dancers it means making the amplitudes of moves smaller and doing exercise with half less energy. It's still enjoyable:)

4. When it comes to the baby during dance, don't worry if she moves more active or doesn't move at all. They usually are still more active, but Your concentration on dance makes You notice the baby less.

5. Contractions are also normal while dancing. Same contractions could bother You without the dance as well. If it becomes more frequent, it's better to consult a doctor.

If You have any more question conserning the subject feel free to send me a private message.

With Regards,

Khaira

sweetescape83

Khaira, thats really great, thank you very much :)

Having those pointers there are great for me.
I coudln't be more grateful.

Thank you again and I wish you the best of luck with the book. It sounds like a great venture for you :clap:

x

Shanazel

It is just as well to enter each new pregnancy with no pre-conceived (if you'll pardon the pun) notions of what you will or will not be able to do.

While expecting my son, I couldn't even walk around the block without bringing on premature labor, never mind dance. I spent about six or seven months laying down in order to carry him full term, and endured a fair amount of criticism from well-meaning people who thought I was being lazy, self-indulgent, or weak minded for discontinuing my normal physical activities while pregnant- never mind that I was following doctor's orders.

adiemus

What wonderful resource we have on this forum - yes, always listen to your body, but all things going well, exercise is good for bodies and babies!

Lydia

remember dancing is a sport,it depends aswell on teacher and the style you practise,i dont take any students that are pregnant because i focus aswell on cardio and my classes are upbeat and you have to work hard,but some other teachers are much more slow and gentle,so be senseable and be carefull....its the same, i dont think going jogging is good when pregnant...so are many other sports not soothable...just be carefull...also some people are having easy pregnand months ,others not..everybody is differant.....Lydia

jenc

I am waiting for my teacher to return from maternity leave. she taught until Christmas for a baby due in April. (Not heard anything yet). You should also look at pregnant dancers on YouTube. however, if you are trying already, I wouldn't pay for the whole 12 months at once. If you fall for a baby straight away, you will certainly have to take some time off. how much do you save by buying in bulk, and can you pay in advance for a shorter time (one term, or trimester)

sweetescape83

I am waiting for my teacher to return from maternity leave. she taught until Christmas for a baby due in April. (Not heard anything yet). You should also look at pregnant dancers on YouTube. however, if you are trying already, I wouldn't pay for the whole 12 months at once. If you fall for a baby straight away, you will certainly have to take some time off. how much do you save by buying in bulk, and can you pay in advance for a shorter time (one term, or trimester)

Thanks, I will have a look at youtube now, I never even thought of that.

It's 12 weeks in advance that I have to pay, it's not an option to pay weekly either. The teacher has sent me an email stating that unless hse has enough ppl paying in andvance, then the classes will not go ahead :(

I was willing to pay it, as I know I wanted to do the classes and would always be there, however now that we have discussed having a baby, obviuosly I can't make that commitment.

I think I will email the teacher and explain the situation. I can't see her making exceptions for just one person, and there are no other belly dance classes in my area, but I can't put down money if I have plans for the future.

Thank you every1 for all your help, suggestions and facts. It's really great to know ppl's experiences of dancing whilst pregnant too :)

Dev

Hello all,
Luckily my species don’t fall pregnant only cause it. So I don’t have much practical knowledge about the whole subject, but I happen to know a dancer who according to her is the first one to introduce the whole pregnancy and Belly dance aspect in Australia or in the world , I am not sure about it. I have only talked to her once . Check out her website, if you find any clue.

Welcome to Belly Dance For Birth

Regards to all.

jenc

Sorry I didn't realise it was 12 weeks, I didn't read it properly, thought it was a year. You should be safe for at least the next 12 weeks - it could take you that long or longer to even get pregnant and you can't put your life on hold in case. I do have friends who took 8 years trying for second baby after getting pregnant really easily first time.
If you are used to dancing you could then go on to 5 or 6 months if you have no probs. Hopefully by then the teacher will have enough other committed dancers to let you pay weekly, but you can decide later.
Take the next series of classes
Jen

gisela

Super Moderator
My teacher taught in january and gave birth in february. Now she has workshops on bellydance for pregnant women.
Most pregnant dancers I know here have kept dancing very far into their pregnancies. A few have had to stop after a few months because their bodies told them so. I would say that If you are not even pregnant yet and the course is just twelve weeks I don't see any problem. Unless you need the money for other things of course.

sweetescape83

Thanks, I will check out that website now, looks like it might hold some good info :)

No probs Jen, It's an easy mistake to be made.
I have sent an email to my dance teacher, if she dosn't let me pay weekly, I think it will still be worth the chance anyway, after all £45 is not too bad, I will be able to go to some of the classes anyway, and that's if I got pregnant pretty soon. Thanku for your advice :)

Thanks Gisela, it is nice to hear of other dancers continuing whilst they are pregnant. That was the main point of my thread, to see how peopl who have actually done it. I don't know any1 who has been belly dancing whilst pregnant, so thats nice for e to know thanks :)

I think I will take the 12 week course and take it as it comes,

Thanks again every1, u have all been so lovely :)

xx

KuteNurse

Congratulations for trying! How excited you two must be to try having a baby.:)

I am going to give you medical advice, being I am a nurse. First of all, I would check with your OB/GYN doctor once you have conceived to make sure it is all right to do belly dancing while pregnant. For most women, it is perfectly safe and good for them to do belly dancing. If there are any complications such as bleeding and certain other pregnancy complications, your doctor may advise you not to do dancing. (This did happen to a friend of mine.) Keep in mind, these occurances are rare.

While dancing, make sure to take it easy and not dance until you tire yourself out. Keep hydrated and rest if some moves makes you feel uncomfortable. I wish you the best of luck with both your pregnancy and your dancing:)

Reen.Blom

Is it a common practice to only have pre-paid class? I think its a good option if you save by baying in bulk, but as the ONLY option.... dunno....\

Sweetescape, Best of luck with your dancing and your baby!!

Lots of hugs and keep on posting!!

belly_dancer

Hello all,
Luckily my species don’t fall pregnant only cause it. So I don’t have much practical knowledge about the whole subject, but I happen to know a dancer who according to her is the first one to introduce the whole pregnancy and Belly dance aspect in Australia or in the world , I am not sure about it. I have only talked to her once . Check out her website, if you find any clue.

Regards to all.

REALLY??? dancers have been dancing pregnant for WAY longer than 10 years... I know Delilah from Seattle WA. USA danced thru her pregnancy(ies) ... she has 2 girls... both at least 20 by now... Also I remember watching a vhs (Belly Dancing during Pregnancy) when I was last pregnant (he'll be 8 next month) the video was from Germany, ooh just found it .. it was copyright 1997... hey.. did not check where you are from... but if you want to buy it PM me!!
as far as PERSONAL experience... I have been teaching for 12 years... & one of my 1st classes was taught thru a women's center founded by an OB/GYN, she saw me dancing somewhere, & saw the belly flutter, came up to me & said... you know how hard it is to teach a woman in labor to do that... how would you like to teach a pre-natal BD class... so I have pregnant women in my class, off & on for the past 12 years... I DO have to say that the ones who lasted til the end were dancers BEFORE pregnancy... the "rec center" type dancers... they last til about 5 months pregnant...
but lets see a friend (bd teacher) taught & performed til 7 months... had troupe members who danced (& performed) til 7 & 8.5 months... several students who took class til 7-8 months...

I myself taught 5 classes per week til 5/11, did my last performance (student night... you have to be careful where you perform soooo pregnant... some people freak out!) 5/12, took my last class (from my recently un-pregnant friend/teacher) 5/21 (that one was HARD!!!!... 2 hours!!! i think I even sat down!!!)... gave birth to a bouncing baby boy 5/25, did my 1st performance (short one!!) 6/21... & was teaching again by 6/27.... ( I just happen to remember all this stuff cause one of my students recently interviewed me on that subject... usually I can barely remember the children's names .... or at least who is who!!!)
HOWEVER... as you can tell, I am a hard core dancer... this was my 3rd child, (though the 1st 2= 13 & 15 years older than this last one, and I was NOT dancing when I had them..... all & all I DO have to say that this last pregnancy AND delivery AND ESPECIALLY!!!! recovery was easier with this last one... even though I was 35 when he was born!)
so, in your case... you say you are trying again... I do hope this means you have had one successful pregnancy/birth... I would look at that (YOUR history) as well as what activities you were used to doing (one of my students was not a bellydancer... but a 4+ hour a day ballet dancer... who switched over for the pregnancy... she took lessons til 8 months... but AGAIN... her body was USED to dancing!)
and of course ALWAYS check with your doctor... but remember, even 40 years ago pregnancy tests couldn't tell if you were even pregnant til after TWO missed periods.... & most doctors seem to think it is ok to continue regular (to you) activities (with the exception of horse back riding/ surfing/tackle foot ball.... basically HARD IMPACT sports at least thru months 3-4....
GOOD LUCK!!!

bellydance for birth

Hi All
maha al musa here from australia..
I have been teaching belydance as a pre natal exercise and birthing tool for over 11 years now and released my WORLD FIRST book in June , Dance Of The Womb..
I dont claim to be the first to teach but I believe the first Arab woman to release a book on this subject...and my passion is birthing number one and empowerment of women during this life experience....I LOVE IT!!

so i am very happy to share my knowledge and acxknowledge all the women who have been facilitating this aspect of bellydance....the more we empower and give women strength in birthing the better off this world will be.....

pls feel free to email me or check out my website/book

and to also let you all know I birthed my beautfiul baby girl 8 weeks ago at home in the water..lotus birth at 46 years of age!! Bellydance definitely assisted me!!!
and we made a DVD whilst pregnant to be released in 2009...my work is designed to encourage women who may never have danced to incorporate bellydance into their pregnancy ritual..

love to all.....

Granddad

Like Dipali this is something I'll never have to worry about in person.

However, here's a link to an article by a UK dance teacher based on her personal experience: Dancing Through Pregnancy

Different people take different lengths of time to get it right; for my wife and I we conceived our son three weeks before we started trying! :lol:
My daughter had to try for several months but then ended up with twins :shok:

Whatever happens, if you don't get it right first time think of it like a choreography, the more you practice the better. :)

Artemocion Malta

Belly dance and pregnancy -sounds great!

what a lovely thing! Belly dance and pregnancy , I hope I will experience it one day (but not yet!) I am loving the posts that you have written and it is very interesting ! I think having a baby is such a beautiful thing and oh how nice to keep on dancing in such a beautiful style!

One of My former Jazz teachers was pregnant and she kept on doing the classes untill she got really big and started to get tired easily . Well she is a petite woman and you cannot imagine how sweet she was with that baby bump! Dancing also helped her go back to her normal size after pregnancy , in a few months she looked just like she did before the pregancy , i was amazed!

thanks for bringing up such an interesting subject! and looking forward to find that Estonian report in English one day!

xxx