Article in today's New York Times about Cairo

cathy

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/14/world/middleeast/14cairo.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

A City Where You Can't Hear Yourself Scream

The article is mostly about noise in Cairo, but it also mentions street weddings, ever-present sound of dance music in the streets. And riots 11 people killed in food lines in the past 6 weeks--yikes. I'm going for the first time at the end of June but with Morocco's group so I am sure I will be well looked after. Even so it sounds like it is overwhelming for the senses.

Cathy

Ranya

Yep I heard about those foodlines, and it kinda makes me nervous since I am going to Cairo next in autumn this year to study and so I will not always be "guarded" and part of a tourist group...but it is also so exciting!
I hope you will keep us posted afterwards about your trip! :D

Caroline_afifi

You have nothing to worry about. I just got back last Monday and Sunday was the major strike day. There was no visible trouble and most of the problems have been outside of Cairo. I will be going again at the end of May and the end of June too. Please dont let this spoil your trip.
Things are not politically great at the moment in Egypt and the people are really suffering but Egypt needs every tourist and takes care of them as much as possible. You are safer there than in London.