Thread: Voi/Veil Poi

Post Thanks / Like

Default Voi/Veil Poi

I am interested in attempting poi for the sole reason of learning voi or veil poi. I was hoping someone out there who is already doing voi could tell me what the best practice/performance poi would be. I have seen some inexpensive sets and some pricey sets, but I want to be able to use the same set for practice that I will attach veils to for performance. Any assistance would be wonderful. And any useful tips are always appreciated too! Thanks a bunch!

Johara

Post Thanks / Like

sorry, but what exactly is a poi?

Post Thanks / Like

Poi is basically like fire spinning or spinning glowing balls or in this case, attaching veils to the balls and spinning them while you dance. If you search youtube for "veil poi" or "voi" or even "poi", you will see examples. It is so mesmerizing! I think the voi is so amazing! And I know I can do it, I just have to take a few bumps and bruises to get there...oh and get a set of poi!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey,
    If you're looking to just get started with poi, don't waste your money buying a "beginner" set of poi. Making your own is very easy. Find two old tube socks that you don't care about. Put a cup of rice into each sock, and tie off each end. Some of the pros(pro poi spinners, IDK about voi) never stop practicing with rice weighted poi.
    As for learning, I'd recommend <www.homeofpoi.com>. Click on "library" in the top menu, then click on "poi lessions." There should be plenty enough lessons in there to get you started.

Post Thanks / Like

that sounds good! i'd maybe like to try it! altough i'm not really into fusion...

Post Thanks / Like

There is also a great DVD for learning Voi by Michele Joice. Got it and i'm working with that.

Maria Aya, Greece

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Johara View Post
    I am interested in attempting poi for the sole reason of learning voi or veil poi. I was hoping someone out there who is already doing voi could tell me what the best practice/performance poi would be. I have seen some inexpensive sets and some pricey sets, but I want to be able to use the same set for practice that I will attach veils to for performance. Any assistance would be wonderful. And any useful tips are always appreciated too! Thanks a bunch!

Johara
    I second the endorsement for Michelle Joyce. She has a nice DVD and a "poi kit." Cheeky Girls Productions - Instructional and Performance Belly Dance DVDs

Amarise

Post Thanks / Like

Oooh I really like it, looks so cool!