Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many regular teachers do you have?

Someone recently seemed surprised that I had 2 teachers.
    I thought that this would be quite usual.

I have one who is Egyptian and teaches troupe dancing but every now and then gets us to follow her in some real dancing. She does not teach any technique, and actually said that when we dance at the back we don't need to do anything other than copy the girls in front (who are not necessarily that good) as it doesn't matter as we can't be seen. The classes are fun, and I am learning how to learn choreo, how to follow and how to just dance.

My other teacher is tribal (ie fusion) inspired. She does lots of drilling, really knows her stuff and gives feedback. She is going to give me private lessons soon. She can also do egyptian including brilliant cane.

Best of both worlds.

So how many teachers do you have and why. Oh and how long have you been dancing, and which style

Post Thanks / Like

i only have one teacher, but i exercise at home with dvds...

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I have two teachers as well. I have been dancing almost five years. The first one and a half year I had only one teacher (who I have stayed with since) but then felt a need for more. Having two teachers is good for me, not only to learn more but to become open to different teaching styles as well as differnt names on moves.

My aim was also trying out most of the teachers in town to find one that had a style I liked so I have been changing classes a few times. I think I may have found one now.

I too thought that it was normal to have several teachers? One term I had four and that was fun, but busy, busy (and too expensive).

gisela
    Last edited by gisela; 04-19-2008 at 10:53 AM. Reason: too many "I" in one post
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly I have no regular teacher. igo to as many workshops as I can.
    I teach twice a week and belong to two dance troops and practise regularly with them but it is a great sadness to me that I do not have a local class near me I can attend.
    A friend and I are investigating 2 possibilities and both involve long journeys by public transport as we don't drive!Both will involve doing basic technique but that is not a problem as it never does any one any harm.
    A teacher should never stop learning but it is sometimes difficult to find appropriate tuition you can attend every week..

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 teachers. One teaches regular bellydance classes (bit of Egyptian, bit of Turkish etc.) weekly and the other one teaches Egyptian style monthly.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been dancing about three and a half years now, all with the same teacher, Egyptian style. What can I say? I just got really lucky with the first belly dance class I ever went to, it was obviously meant to be...

There are a few other teachers who I've thought about going to regularly as well, just to broaden my experience, but travel and time wise it really isn't feasible. I get to workshops as much as I can to try different teachers and have a go at other styles.

Hey, there are other bellydancing non-drivers out there! <waves frantically and sympathises over public transport>

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 teachers and several DVDs, that are also teachers

I do 2 classes with one teacher and one class with the other. one is Australian and teaches Egyptian style, and the other teacher is Lebanese and teaches mainly Lebanese style and folkloric. I find the Lebanese and Egyptian do sort of overlap. Although Mya my Lebanese teacher steps out on the left and Lindy steps out of the right foot, so the little differences are interesting. Mya teaches us to lift our heels more when doing various moves, ( e.g. outward and inward hip circles) whereas Lindy encourages us to us the hip more to thrust, both give a different look to the move.

I have taken classes with 2 other teachers, but they changed class times/venues and I couldn't go to the new classes. But I am happy with my current 2 teachers
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I've been dancing about three and a half years now, all with the same teacher, Egyptian style. What can I say? I just got really lucky with the first belly dance class I ever went to, it was obviously meant to be...

There are a few other teachers who I've thought about going to regularly as well, just to broaden my experience, but travel and time wise it really isn't feasible. I get to workshops as much as I can to try different teachers and have a go at other styles.

Hey, there are other bellydancing non-drivers out there! <waves frantically and sympathises over public transport>

ah but my friend and I travel for FREE!!!!! on buses thanks to the new legislation. There are some advantages to being old

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Brea; 05-15-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I have 3 regular teachers. I deeply desire to improve, and I look for teachers with styles I admire and enjoy, who also take time to correct their students. Unfortunately I anticipate lots of problems trying to schedule dance classes (of the appropriate level), work, and college classes when I go back to school this summer (and beyond).

I think location, cost, level, and scheduling are big issues - particularly when taking more than one class.

I've been taking classes seriously for over 3 years (before that, I took only one short course, and used videos).

My classes have been American Oriental, tending towards Egyptian (and possibly Lebanese) styling. I take tribal workshops when I can, and I recently joined a tribal collective/troupe (whose style I am learning).
    Last edited by da Sage; 04-19-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast