Getting motivated

Aniseteph

Good idea, but probably too late! In the olden days (ooh listen to me, old crone telling you young things how it was...) we were supposed to calculate stats things the long way round using the formulae - I ALWAYS got the wrong answer! Most discouraging. Nowadays I do everything on computer and most stats packages have enough explanation for me to cope with my own data. It's just that occasionally I get this urge to really understand stats (Virgo perfectionism I expect :rolleyes: ).

Statistics... how more off-bellydance-topic can you get?
:confused:

Shanazel

Graduate level statistics is high on the top of my list of the most horrible classes I ever took. I actually taught statistics in a course on field crop technology, but that was applied statistics and made a certain amount of sense. The graduate class made no sense what-so-ever. I used to sit in the back so I could take notes and cry with frustration. The only positive to the class was the professor- the first day he walked in, all the women and two of the men fell off their chairs. This guy was beautiful- one of those Omar Shariff at his youthful best types, who could actually knock the shine right off of Omar. However, beauty not withstanding, I dropped the class at mid-semester. The professor nearly had a fit ("No one drops statistics with a B!") but I had had all the statistical weirdness I could handle. If I ever need a statistical program developed, I'll hire a starving grad student in statistics to design it for me!

Yshka

Shanazel! What a blessing to be able to drop statistics, I'm not allowed, it's an obligatory thing:mad:

Our soon-to-be statistics teacher is the ordinary old 'n slightly ugly guy that wears weird sweaters lol. Wish I could have such a hottie to teach me statistics, would make things a lot better:D

Aniseteph said:
Statistics... how more off-bellydance-topic can you get?:confused:

I know lol, but I guess thats why this section of the forum is labeled "off topic";)

Moon

Statistics is obligatory for me too (although doing advanced statistics is more or less my own choice. It was either that or research methods in crop & weed ecology or genomics)

I followed statistics twice. Well, the first time I didn't really follow it and that's why I failed (spent most of my time sitting by the river, sharing my food with ducks) :eek:
Anyway, the teacher I had the first time was a lady with a terribly annoying voice, like her voice was breaking all the time.
The second time I had a teacher which spent most time of the first lecture talking about himself and about the church he always went to. And that we were welcome there too, so we would also have the wonderful oppertunity to find God...

Last edited:

Yshka

Lol, nice teachers moon:D Last year I had one who thought it was funny at the beginning of some classes to announce that we could just leave, we wouldn't need what he was telling anyway:confused:

Most people stayed because nobody really knew what he wanted from us then.:D

Moon

Hahaha!
My flora course teacher tried to make us more enthousiastic by telling that in the past, sometimes less than 40% of the people that took the exam passed.

My philosophy teacher said: "Most people think philosophy is about nothing. And that's true."
However everyone stayed because the subject was obligatory.

Shanazel

I'd take research methods over advanced statistics ANY TIME. The only class that approached being as boring a statistics was agricultural economics. No class I took approached the frustration level of statistics, though organic chemistry came close. Inorganic was a piece of cake. I think organic was taught in Swahili.

Yshka

Shanazel, I think our statistics teacher will teach in Swahili too:D , like he'll go "Hujambo!" and then the rest is totally unclear.. I 'm thinking research methods would piece of cake compared to statistics (Though I failed twice, first time with 4.5, second with 3,5)

Maybe I'm up for a 2.5 and 1.5 this year, and then they'll kick me out:D :D

Moon

If it was just research methods I think I would take it over statistics, but it's research methods in crop and weed ecology! First of all, I really really hate crop ecology and the teachers are even worse, second, I'm not planning to do crop or weed ecology for the rest of my life, so advanced statistics will be more useful for me. I think I just have to go to every lecture and do all the exercises (first time I didn't and failed with 4, second time I didn't really study either and failed with 4, 3th time I did all excercises and passed with 7 :))

shanazel said:
No class I took approached the frustration level of statistics, though organic chemistry came close. Inorganic was a piece of cake. I think organic was taught in Swahili.
Hahah, I really didn't like physical chemistry. I used to like organic a lot, but it's 3 years ago since my last chemistry course so I think I've forgotten most of it now, I never use it.

Sara

:eek: And I thought I had it rough learning about medieval toilet roll and William the Conquerors weight problems!

I hope I have none of that coming my way! I wanna do Ancient History/Languages.

Thank goodness for years out is all I can say. Lol- Sign me up for Butlins! (actually I'm being serious, I would love to work there! :p )

Moon

Well, that exam was really horrible :(
Don't feel to sorry for me (just a little ;)) It's mostly my own fault, I could have studied harder (however so booooring...) and I forgot my bring my calculator to the exam, I can't believe how stupid!!! Now I had to borrow one which didn't have some of the functions I needed.
Well, I have another chance in 2 months, and if I fail again (cause I'm almost sure I failed) I can try another time in 4 months, or next year (but hopefully it won't take me that long.)

Everyone who still has exams coming up: GOOD LUCK (and don't let yourself be inspired by me ;))

Shanazel

:eek: And I thought I had it rough learning about medieval toilet roll and William the Conquerors weight problems!

I hope I have none of that coming my way! I wanna do Ancient History/Languages.

Thank goodness for years out is all I can say. Lol- Sign me up for Butlins! (actually I'm being serious, I would love to work there! :p )

Medieval toilets- oh, my goodness, how totally romantic. I'd hate to tell you all I know about the toilets inside the walls of the fortresses Edward the Second built to squash the Welsh. My minor was history, and though I had no particular passion for toilets in the middle ages, I did pick up some oddball knowledge along the way. Ask me about Grainne ni Mhaile sometime- oh, please, please, no one EVER does! It simply prostrates me with grief that her name doesn't come up more often in casual conversation.

Safran

Hey all! Amazing how tangled up with statistics this bunch of bellydancers is :) I managed to pass my statistics courses in the BA degree with no problems, yet I am now stuck with something much more evil - econometrics.

There is a professor in the philosophy department who says that "statistics is like a mini skirt - it show a lot, but not the significant stuff!". :D

Now, on motivation... For me it actually helps when I try to make myself study. After I've managed to actually open a book and read a page or two, it goes easier from there on. Because if it is something I really don't like, then there isn't a single other thing in this world to motivate me to deal with it :(

Moon

maariku said:
Now, on motivation... For me it actually helps when I try to make myself study. After I've managed to actually open a book and read a page or two, it goes easier from there on.
That works quite well for me too, as well as the good feeling I get afterwards when I've made myself proud by studying.

maariku said:
There is a professor in the philosophy department who says that "statistics is like a mini skirt - it show a lot, but not the significant stuff!".
ROFL! I must remember that one :D Makes me think of all the times I thought I had nice results of an experiment and none of them appeared to be significant. Well, no result is a result too ;)