Hello everyone!!!! I'm Filly!

Filly

Hello! This is all very new to me! I will be 46 years old tomorrow, and have been telling my husband that I really want to learn to Belly Dance!!!

Of course, he has no issues with that! LOL. I am pretty much a stay at home wife. I retired from outside sales about 5 1/2 years ago, and then I got married! I now do the invoicing for him and his company, so I'm here at home much of the time!

I look forward to reading in here, and learning. I also look forward to getting to know you ladies, and hopefully, gain some online friendships!

I have never tried to Belly Dance in my life, however, I have always been fascinated by it! It's a beautiful art, as far as I'm concerned.

I live in North Texas, and will be on a mission to find a dance studio where they teach Belly Dancing! I told my husband that I'll bet I'll be the oldest student there! :lol:

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself! Thanks so much to the admins for allowing me to join this forum!

I look forward to getting to know each of you as best I can in here!

Filly

Thank you so much Jahzaal!!! I'm really excited! I know that this is all old hat to you ladies, however, Belly Dancing is a new venue I'm aiming toward!!!

Wish me luck in finding a place, please! I know it can also help in toning! I do work out three mornings a week, however...there's just SOME places I know need a bit more attention! LOL

Thanks again for the welcome, and the Happy Birthday! (Thanks, mainly, for not laughing at me for looking into Belly Dancing at such an old age)! :dance:

Jahzaal

Filly you will do just fine. That's the one thing I LOVE about this art form. It's blind to race, age, body type, gender, the list goes on. So it took you some years to find it, your here that's all that matters. Enjoy it. Remember to have FUN:dance: I am sure you will find a class in no time. There are so many wonderful teachers on this forum that are in your area. Good luck to you:D

Filly

Happy birthday! Go for it, welcome to your new addiction! :D

You are so sweet! Thank you!

You know, I have been invoicing for hubby today, but every once in awhile, I peek back in here to do some more reading! To be quite honest...it's kinda greek to me. LOL It's exciting though, I'll tell you that much!

I feel so lost, as y'all are brilliant about this Belly Dancing. I'm gonna learn, and I'm gonna love it, I just know it.

I reckon once I find a place to become a student, I will understand more of the lingo, and the names of the moves. In the meantime, I'll keep reading, and trying to learn.:pray:

Safran

Welcome Filly, and have a happy happy birthday! I wish you good luck with finding a class and I am sure things will start making sense soon.

Aniseteph

Hiya Filly and welcome to the wonderful world of belly dance!

Don't worry about the age thing - lots of us weren't spring chickens when we found belly dance ;). If you search the forum I'm sure we've had threads about it.

Haha, just you wait with the names of the moves, there is no set terminology so EVERYONE gets confused at some point.

Good luck finding a teacher! :dance:

Filly

Hiya Filly and welcome to the wonderful world of belly dance!

Don't worry about the age thing - lots of us weren't spring chickens when we found belly dance ;). If you search the forum I'm sure we've had threads about it.

Haha, just you wait with the names of the moves, there is no set terminology so EVERYONE gets confused at some point.

Good luck finding a teacher! :dance:

Thank you Aniseteph!!! I've located two studios that aren't too far from my home. Perhaps this weekend, I will get the chance to go by or call. I would love to get this set up asap.

As for the names of the moves, and me getting confused....trust me...I STAY confused. LOL

Pia

its confusing for everyone at first,I'm sure once you start you will find it becomes clearer.Hope you get a chance to check out those studios this weekend.

Filly

its confusing for everyone at first,I'm sure once you start you will find it becomes clearer.Hope you get a chance to check out those studios this weekend.

Thank you Pia!!! I told hubby that I wanted to try to check them out on Saturday! He's all about it, that's for sure!

He's so dadblasted cute! He's saying that he cannot wait to pick out the little costumes for me to wear! LMBO...as though I'm already a Belly Dancer!

My hips....I'm hoping I'll be able to do like you ladies do. I realize it's gonna take time and much practice, however...I'm willing to do what it takes.

Pia

Thank you Pia!!! I told hubby that I wanted to try to check them out on Saturday! He's all about it, that's for sure!

He's so dadblasted cute! He's saying that he cannot wait to pick out the little costumes for me to wear! LMBO...as though I'm already a Belly Dancer!

My hips....I'm hoping I'll be able to do like you ladies do. I realize it's gonna take time and much practice, however...I'm willing to do what it takes.

The guys usually are enthuiastic(wonder why:lol:) mine actually managed to buy me a costume at christmas. You'll get the hips and hopefully find it a lot of fun

Filly

The guys usually are enthuiastic(wonder why:lol:) mine actually managed to buy me a costume at christmas. You'll get the hips and hopefully find it a lot of fun

Yeah! I wonder why! LOL!!!!:lol: Hubby is already excited about the costumes he's gonna find for me!

As for the hips...I've got them already...like I said, I work out a lot...my only fear is, will I be able to shimmy it up like you ladies do? I'm certain it's gonna take a lot of work...I'm up for the task though!!!

Filly

Welcome Filly, and have a happy happy birthday! I wish you good luck with finding a class and I am sure things will start making sense soon.

I must have missed this post by mistake. I'm sorry!!!

Thank you so much maariku! Yep, today is the day I turned the big 46! LOL.

I'll be looking this Saturday for a place to take classes! I'm looking forward to learning the lingo too, so that I can know what y'all are talking about when I read throughout this board!

Outi

If you are living in Northern Texas, Austin might be too far from you. Any way they have things happening there. Next big one is in June. I will be coming. If you are strting your classes now, the classes might be too difficult, but watching shows and seeing other dancers will be great!

"Belly Dance with BAHAIA"

Filly

If you are living in Northern Texas, Austin might be too far from you. Any way they have things happening there. Next big one is in June. I will be coming. If you are strting your classes now, the classes might be too difficult, but watching shows and seeing other dancers will be great!

"Belly Dance with BAHAIA"

Wow, thank you for the link! I read through it, and it seems like a wonderful place!!! Austin is about 4 1/2 hours from me though.

I have located a studio that's about 45 minutes from me, and I hope to check it out this Saturday!!!

You are correct, watching shows and seeing others dance is an awesome thing to do. Perhaps I could even find some DVD's to purchase, and watch them.

Reen.Blom

Welcome and Happy birthday! :D:D:D

I hope you get to class real soon! Also you might want to consider getting a beginners DVD for home practice... I simply LOOVE Jenna's Basics and Beyond as she breaks down moves realy clearly, it is helpful if you practice at home(as I do) or as a after class practice, to understand the mechanics of the moves better or just drill the stuff learnt in class! I recommend Jenna's site and Salome's store both offer excellent service(I cant stop bragging about my signed DVD from Jenna's site!)

In this thread you can read up more on DVD's. Also most DVDs in Salome's store have links to youTube so that you can preview!
http://www.bellydanceforums.net/ins...-what-instructional-dvds-videos-you-have.html

Happy posting and Happy dancing!

Filly

Welcome and Happy birthday! :D:D:D

I hope you get to class real soon! Also you might want to consider getting a beginners DVD for home practice... I simply LOOVE Jenna's Basics and Beyond as she breaks down moves realy clearly, it is helpful if you practice at home(as I do) or as a after class practice, to understand the mechanics of the moves better or just drill the stuff learnt in class! I recommend Jenna's site and Salome's store both offer excellent service(I cant stop bragging about my signed DVD from Jenna's site!)

In this thread you can read up more on DVD's. Also most DVDs in Salome's store have links to youTube so that you can preview!
http://www.bellydanceforums.net/ins...-what-instructional-dvds-videos-you-have.html

Happy posting and Happy dancing!

Thanks so much!!! I'm gonna print this post off! Like I said on one of these threads, I'm gonna try to check the places out this Saturday! I want to sign up for lessens asap!

I do believe I'll take your advice, and look for the DVDs! I have plenty of time at certain times of the week to watch and learn. It would be a great thing for me to do when hubby is working on his schedules for the next day!

Heck, he may even enjoy watching me learn! LOL

Maria_Aya

Welcome in this wonderfull forum !!!! and in the wonderfull world of oriental dance:)
Enjoy reading and posting

Maria Aya, Greece :D

Lotus Dancer

Welcome Filly

Welcome Filly,
Your Excitement is Contagious!!!! You seem lot's of Fun. You will fit in to any Bellydance class anywhere!!! They will love to have you.
In my Class probably 60% of my Ladies are 40 & over.
They absolutely Love It!!! And are finding they are more flexible & toned now than they have ever been! I think as we grow older it's important to find something that keeps us limber. And Belly Dance certainly does that.
The costumes and the make up make you feel Stunningly Beautiful.
Everything about this dance compliments us as females, no matter what age we are.
Have fun with your dancing. I have been dancing for about 11 years, and am still learning lot's of different techniques, choreography's etc...
With this dance its amazing as there is always something new to Discover!!
And you've discovered Belly Dance when it's been time for you to discover it, no earlier and no later. I believe this passion only comes to us when we are ready for it. Enjoy!!!!!!!!
Smiles to you.
Lotus Dancer.