America - the Evil Nation...or is it just dumb?

jenc

My father simply had a rule that we could not eat or drink in the car. If he brought home a hot pizza for dinner, it would go in the trunk, so as not to smell up the passenger part of the car. That car smelled new for almost 10 years.

I have heard that America is the only country where eating and drinking in the car is normal. I can't eat most fast food because I am vegetarian, but I do eat peanuts, 1 oz. cheese sticks (I buy these at the gas station), and drink drinks in the car - often on the way to dance class.

Is the American habit of eating and drinking in the car disgusting? Some people say eating on the run is the cause of increasing obesity in the population. What do you think?

I just have to tell you that my car before before the last, I had a mouse living in it. I left some indian pastries in the car overnight and next morning they were nibbled. I lifted up the floor of the boot (trunk) and there was a sweet little round nest made from upholstery stuffing. Lifted it up again to show my daughter and we actually saw the mouse. I set a humane mousetrap every night but nothing - so I called the garage and asked them to get it out. They said they would have to virtually take the car to pieces and it would cost hundreds of pounds - so I sold the car.

Caroline_afifi

I just have to tell you that my car before before the last, I had a mouse living in it. I left some indian pastries in the car overnight and next morning they were nibbled. I lifted up the floor of the boot (trunk) and there was a sweet little round nest made from upholstery stuffing. Lifted it up again to show my daughter and we actually saw the mouse. I set a humane mousetrap every night but nothing - so I called the garage and asked them to get it out. They said they would have to virtually take the car to pieces and it would cost hundreds of pounds - so I sold the car.

You asked for Rabbit injection and got a mouse instead!
complain.

da Sage

Oh my goodness! I think I am glad I live in the UK after all.
Society is to blame, we all play our own part in someway. Some give a sh** and others dont.
nanny state my backside! from what we see in the Uk, the US government cares diddly squat for its inhabitants who are not white Middle Class.
New Orleans springs to mind.

Well, the US doesn't care that much about the lower half of the (technically) middle class, either. We are the people who find it hard to buy health insurance and pay our medical bills, but we don't qualify for any government assistance, either. If I made a few thousand dollars less this year than I made last year, I could sign up for state-provided low-income health insurance which is pretty good, but I can't be sure of staying qualified for that each year, without quitting my job if I am about to go over.:rolleyes: And it is hard for these people to afford child care during the work day, or send their kids to college.

I think that the USA needs to fix the healthcare system - there is a huge difference in cost for doctor visits and medical procedures between the insured, and the uninsured. That should not be legal. And the cost of medicine is ridiculous; even though the government subsidizes the development of all these medicines, the private sector pockets the profit! That is just silly.

da Sage

A friend of mine (who lives in the country) found a dead mouse in her Starbucks (coffee) cup, after she left in in the car while running errands.:shok:

Caroline_afifi

Well, the US doesn't care that much about the lower half of the (technically) middle class, either. We are the people who find it hard to buy health insurance and pay our medical bills, but we don't qualify for any government assistance, either. If I made a few thousand dollars less this year than I made last year, I could sign up for state-provided low-income health insurance which is pretty good, but I can't be sure of staying qualified for that each year, without quitting my job if I am about to go over.:rolleyes: And it is hard for these people to afford child care during the work day, or send their kids to college.

I think that the USA needs to fix the healthcare system - there is a huge difference in cost for doctor visits and medical procedures between the insured, and the uninsured. That should not be legal. And the cost of medicine is ridiculous; even though the government subsidizes the development of all these medicines, the private sector pockets the profit! That is just silly.

:clap::clap::clap:

which president said 'but we've got GOD on our side?'

Makeda Maysa

BTW - My grandparents still have heavy plastic coverings on all the living room furniture. I vividly remember, as a child, peeling myself from the sofa after having sat too long on a hot, sticky afternoon.:lol:

belly_dancer

I think it's wrong of Americans to not remove the protective plastic from their couches. Why do you not do that? I've seen this on television so I know it's true.

not everything you see on TV is true!!!! (but after reading the rest of the thread..... hmmmmm).... thought that was vinyl!!!!

I don't eat in my car... but there are coffee spills everywhere (it's the dog's fault, I swear!!)

what is wrong with this nation...???
IMHO....

read FAST FOOD NATION... fast foods are one HUGE thing that literally changed the WHOLE landscape (not to mention the people) of this Nation...
Eric S will tell you how/why in that book...

also the whole commercial/consumerism bugs me

& do not get me started on the imperialism!!!

ok... I am going to go find a "happy" thread now (no relation to "happy meal")....

lizaj

What always amuses me is that the USA was determined to see off the rest of the so-called British empire ( and quite right so) but now is giving a damn good try at building its' own.
It's sad that in a democratic country, a poor man will never get any where in politics but hell's teeth we've still got the bloody Windsors poncing around the country in crowns in the 21st century so I don't feel that inclined to criticise America. We are not citizens but subjects...:shok:still and equality before our ancient and proud legal system...hah....Henry II must be turning in his grave!
I hate many of America's politicians and their policies ( I'm not very keen on mine either...I think I'd like to be French....I think Sarky is sexy!;))) but as a nation, American citizens can be the best informed, the most honest in hanging out their dirty washing and the most generous....:confused:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Schoolchildren on shooting rampages. Simple ban guns - yes there will always be those who get hold one or 2 or 3, but a lot less shooting incidences will occur. The occasional person gets shot here, but gun crime is not a huge issue as it is in countries with the right to have guns

The high incidence of divorce. Don't get married, just live in partnerships, then no divorce:D

The utter stupidity of, and fraudulent basis for, the current war in Iraq. Too late, the mess has been made now it has to be sorted out, It would be so cruel to the Iraqi people to just walk away and leave the utter mess that is there now. Send Bush in to clean it up Oh also send in all those kids/people who think it is fun to shoot others ( without guns though) - better than sending them to Jail.

The health care crisis. Not sure how to handle this one, we have that problem as well. But I do think our new government will try very hard to sort it out, Hopefully when you have a change of Gov they too will be able to sort things out, I don't envy the new pres/gov the job of cleaning up the bush mess.

Why people in Minnesota don't use their turn signals (Actually, it's because they're busy talking on their cell phones while driving). Belly dance police get out there, stop the perps, slap them and remove cell phones!

Guantanamo Bay. Send Bush there for a year without his cell phone - dress him in orange with shackles and after his term there burn it down!

Extraordinary rendition. No answer

Racial tension. We keep trying <sigh> No easy answer, just when you think things are running smoothly some idiot utters some inane thing and sets the fires burning again - The worst ones at the moment are those absolutely gross skinheads who mouth off in several countries and harm/kill others. Hmmmm maybe send them all to Guantanamo for 10 years and give them a shot of waterboarding ... that means Gitmo can't be burnt down for a while though.

Religious groups that clash with the mainstream. Put all those who wish to fight about religion into a boxing ring and let them have it out without cameras or audience and mouths taped up, so they can't spew forth invectives. maybe they will see how silly they are, and work to live with tolerance and peace ( methinks wishful thinking)

Copyright laws. Ban them!

Gender stereotypes. Ban gender!

Creation science. Now that one - I have no answer. But I am astounded at how many people believe in the literal Adam & Eve theory, and are absolutely against any scientific thought of creation :rolleyes:... now these people must stand in the corner and repeat until they believe it " The big bang created Adam & Eve, and it was Adam who ate the apple, not Eve, and dinosaurs and wiggly amobeas and cockroaches came before humans and modern animals and the sun will burn out in a few billion years and we will cease to exist, unless NASA can set up colonies elsewhere but not in our universe because there will be no sun!

And why they don't make Diet Berries 'n Cream Dr Pepper anymore. Maybe they ran out of diet berries ... too many people munched on them, and they haven't been able to come up with an engineered, chemical based substitute, so now they are extinct! You can have the cream bit as cows are still available!:D

One last thing, let belly dancers govern the world, that will fix all ills and chills and everyone will be happy even if there is no Diet berries. Oh yes get rid of borders, one world one human race, and a belly dancer as world leader along with BD police to sort any malcontents out!:dance:

How's that for fixing the world problems?

~Mosaic

Reactions: Dev

KuteNurse

I hear you da Sage about the health insurance thing. I am the health care carrier in my family through my work. About 1/3 of my biweekly paychecks go to health insurance and that is not including copays and a deductible that we have to meet yearly.

On the other hand...The United States has the best medical care in the world. We have the highest quality of care and medical researchers who get us this care. For example...Canadians frequently come to the States to have procedures that it would take them months or years to have in Canada. When they can have it in a week or weeks in the States.

What is driving up the cost of insurance is the increased cost of living and other issues. One of those issues I see first hand being a health care worker. Parents bring their children to the doctor for a sniffle. I am not talking about bringing a baby under the age of 1 into the doctor. I am talking about a 9 year old with a sniffle who has been sick for 2 days! I had a patient whose mother brought their 10 year old in for a scratch on the finger. She was concerned of infection. There was no redness, swollen, tenderness or any other symptoms to indicate an infection. If she were educated in taking care of minor problems, she would know to have her child wash the area, put a dab of bacitracin or antibacterial ointment on the area and put a bandaid on it. Then, if infectious symptoms develop, then bring her to the doctor. What I see happening is a lack of education on the parents part and rushing in to see the doctor for minor problems that can be dealt with at home. About 1/2 visits to the doctor result in sending the patient home without treatment, just education for what to watch for.

A solution to this problem would be to purchase a good book on common medical problems and when to bring your child into the doctor. At my job, we hand out these books and if only parents would read them! lol Of course I am not talking about those who are illiterate or blind and such.

This is good practice for all Americans. Don't just run to the doctor for small ailments when you can treat yourself at home. I think we all have a good sense of knowing when we are really sick and when we just need to stay at home and rest.

da Sage

Hi KuteNurse,

I know one thing that is driving up the cost of health care...the requirement that children (and adult workers) have a doctor's note saying they are truly sick, so they don't get in trouble at school (or work) for being absent while they are recovering (and contagious). I think I have gone in for the flu once, because I was having big trouble breathing (they checked my lungs for fluid); but otherwise I will just stay home when I am sick

I have lost money on my health insurance EVERY YEAR...even that one year where I actually saw the doctor three times, and got physical therapy...but I keep buying it just in case I get hit by a bus, or develop cancer.

da Sage

One last thing, let belly dancers govern the world, that will fix all ills and chills and everyone will be happy even if there is no Diet berries. Oh yes get rid of borders, one world one human race, and a belly dancer as world leader along with BD police to sort any malcontents out!:dance:

How's that for fixing the world problems?

~Mosaic[/B][/COLOR]

Sounds great! Can you straighten out my personal life, next?

da Sage

Maybe they're just fond of the fact that it says "Made in China" :). No wonder it's becoming a universal thing :)

Actually, the furniture industry in the US is not doing well...I'm so angry at Clinton for signing the treaties to allow so many cheap imports. That was a BAD decision.:mad::mad:

KuteNurse

Yes....We do get patients in that want notes saying they are sick and they were at the doctor. I am not saying you shouldn't see your doctor da Sage...But be choosy for what you see them for. Really think about what is wrong and decide whether it is necessary or not. I guess I am like you also. I go to my annual checkup, but I am so careful what I see my doctor for because of the cost.

Hi KuteNurse,

I know one thing that is driving up the cost of health care...the requirement that children (and adult workers) have a doctor's note saying they are truly sick, so they don't get in trouble at school (or work) for being absent while they are recovering (and contagious). I think I have gone in for the flu once, because I was having big trouble breathing (they checked my lungs for fluid); but otherwise I will just stay home when I am sick

I have lost money on my health insurance EVERY YEAR...even that one year where I actually saw the doctor three times, and got physical therapy...but I keep buying it just in case I get hit by a bus, or develop cancer.

Pia

I really feel for you when you have to worry about the cost of health care.I am pretty sure that if I lived in the states I would find it hard to afford medical insurance.

Reen.Blom

My worst sin is pavlova with fresh whipped cream, decorated with kiwi fruit and fresh strawberries, and I indulge in that about 3 to 4 times a year.

Can I invite myself to your next pavlova eating?Sounds deliciois! Well even Cyber version will be appreciated!