Post Thanks / Like

To Alter or to Create...That is the Question

To all Costume Creators:

Is it easier to create your own costume from scratch or is it easier to replace the cups on an existing costume if they are too small (all of the existing decoration is sewn right through the cup itself)?

I'm really struggling with this issue right now. I have very few costumes where the cups are large enough. Never any problems with the belt or the strap around the ribcage. Only the cups.

Help ,

Azeeza

PS I love to sew so purchasing a pre-made costume is not an issue, although that would solve all of my problems .

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be a B cup, then a C, now a D. B & C cup bras are everywhere, good Ds are harder to find.
    If the current cups are just a *teeny* bit too small, you might be able to sew larger cups, covered in decorative fabric, inside the current decorated cups. But if the size difference is anything more than *teeny*, the shape of the cups will be different and this solution will look just plain weird
    Sometimes I can squeak a bit more coverage out of smaller cups by separating them, adding 1" (or less, but not much more) of space between them. Of course this means adjusting the band in the back.
    Vests and tops with a keyhole neckline will show off the covered cups while keeping the sides, and excess "spillage", covered.
    If the current cups are too small and covered with decorations, there might not be enough decoration to cover larger cups completely, requiring re-design or additional decoration. That's a lot of messy work and potential expense (assuming you can find additional decorations that match).
    If the bra is a beaded & fringed cabaret style or heavily decorated tribal bra, I personally do not mess with trying to up the cup size.
    On the other hand, my coin bra was easy to up size. It is real coins and chains forming a bra cover that I had sewn onto a covered bra base. It was easy to snip the stitches and reattach the bra cover onto a larger bra.
    So, the answer is, it depends If it's an easy fix, I'd try. If the cups are way small & heavily decorated, I wouldn't mess with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would create from scratch every time rather than try to alter the cup size of a bra with decorated cups. The very thought of the latter exercise gives me the screaming mimis.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Too Funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    I would create from scratch every time rather than try to alter the cup size of a bra with decorated cups. The very thought of the latter exercise gives me the screaming mimis.
    I love that, "screaming mimis"!!!

There was one time that I did convert cups and it was a screaming mimi moment, come to think of it.

I remember saying out loud when I cut one sequin and the whole thing came off on one thread, "don't cry :eek: :eek: :eek: " in a very worried voice.

Azeeza

Post Thanks / Like

I enlarge cups by using part of the back straps. Only possible with sturdy back straps. I take out the original wire and buy a bigger one and sew it back in. it will overlap in the back strap, and that will add to the cupsize. I did it with this costume:

Post Thanks / Like

I think I understand what you are saying. Changing the underwire NEVER occured to me before. What a fantastic idea!!!

Also, you look so lovely in all of your photos! You're such a pretty dancer. Plus, you are a great seamstress!

I'd like to see the checkerboard, gold and blue pancake bra that the tailor flattened out. I just can't imagine it popping back out to fit any sort of breasts. That is so baffling to me. What on earth was the tailor thinking?

Azeeza

Post Thanks / Like

Yah, Amulya! There's a girl who can think her way out of a tailoring problem! If we still had the applauding smilie, I'd put in several here!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

It was out of need, I bought a non fitting bedlah, and you know I need to get it fixed.