Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Brand New Student

Hi everyone!

I've always been a girl with two left feet, but with encourgement from a former klutz turned bellydancer I signed up for a class. My goals are to improve my overall physical fitnees and get more comfortable with my body. I really enjoyed the class and surprised myself that I didn't knock anyone over or fall down - I was actually able to do a few moves without too much difficulty. Some moves were darn near impossible though. I've been practicing what I learned at home and am excited about my next class. Any advice for a new girl?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Practice, practice, practice! Get some great music and practice again...in the shower, in the car (especially shoulder shimmies), while you blow dry your hair, while you walk down the street!!
    If you're having trouble with a movement, ask the teacher to break it down so you can do it piece by piece.
    My bet - you'll love it! And you will get better!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes practice practice practice. Don't ever stand still waiting for the train, there are little moves under your coat to be done (gets harder in the summer alas). And there are moves that seem impossible, and you will feel so good when you get them!

Post Thanks / Like

to the world of "addiction" ... aka bellydance.

As as has been said ... practice, practice practice! Grab a couple of videos with basic moves, watch youtube, Shimmy, and get those hip circles going while you wash dishes, in the shower, etc. Chest lifts also and they can be done sitting in the car waiting for lights to change .
    While I am sitting on the settee watching TV, I practice wrist circles and other hand/arm moves... and just have fun
    enjoy!
    ~

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and happy posting and dancing!

*hug*

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only been taking classes for 1 year. Keep practicing as others have stated. Visit websites and watch dvd's. This will help you with the technical side of belly dancing. Most importantly...Have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    to the world of "addiction" ... aka bellydance.

As as has been said ... practice, practice practice! Grab a couple of videos with basic moves, watch youtube, Shimmy, and get those hip circles going while you wash dishes, in the shower, etc. Chest lifts also and they can be done sitting in the car waiting for lights to change .
    While I am sitting on the settee watching TV, I practice wrist circles and other hand/arm moves... and just have fun
    enjoy!
    ~
    Mosaic where do you get those wonderful animations from?!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks from the newbie!

Thanks to all of you for your tips! I had my 2nd class tonight and it was so hard! I did practice between classes this week and it did seem to help a little. Everything we did tonight was new, so it was another tough workout! My feet don't seem to want to follow the beat yet, but I'll just keep trying!!!

*hugs to all!*

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping in time happens when you no longer need to have your tongue poking out of your mouth while you do your movements...I haven't got there yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adiemus View Post
    Keeping in time happens when you no longer need to have your tongue poking out of your mouth while you do your movements...I haven't got there yet!
    LOL Adiemus, I get the picture.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast