Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Warm-ups, etc.

Dear Yasmine,
    Thanks for the info! I learned a lot reading your post!
    I do love Shakira. I roomed with her once when we were both teaching at the same event and I think she is a great teacher and deluxe room mate to boot! She informs me that my teaching methodology is very much
    Feldenkrais in character. I had never heard of it before her. When you see her again, please give her my love.
    I agree that one does not have to be a scientist to teach the dance. Common sense should be the rule of the day in warming up, just as it is with the over all dance. For example, I know that at 55 years old, I can not do what I did at 25 or even 40 years old. ( Not sure I woud even want to!!)
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of the stretching/warm up controversy can be eliminated by defining who is doing them in what situation.

A professional dancer knows what they need for their dance. There will be a difference in their warm ups and stretch for a 3 hr. workshop, performance, teaching, or personal practice and other factors.

New dancers and new exercisers will have different needs and need to be guided by a teacher. We are all individuals and no one routine will fit everyone.

I use the "Rate of Perceived Exertion" instead of monitoring heart rate in a group class setting. CRE improvement occurs between 12 and 16. I ask what number they are at during the different parts of class. There's a chart on the studio wall they can look at. My class tops out around 14.

RPE SCALE:

7 very, very light exertion
    9 very light exertion
    11 fairly light exertion
    13 somewhat hard exertion
    15 hard exertion
    17 very hard exertion
    19 very, very hard exertion

Post Thanks / Like

Michelle Joyce says that a stretch not work unless you hold it for at least 10 seconds. So what we do when we start with the sort bof stretches a cat does should perhaps better be renamed as limbering up. eg you are simply waking up a group of muscles - not performing one of the stretches which we should only do after dancing, (although both Michelle and Princess Farhana DO both do deep stretches before exercise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stretches

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Michelle Joyce says that a stretch not work unless you hold it for at least 10 seconds. So what we do when we start with the sort bof stretches a cat does should perhaps better be renamed as limbering up. eg you are simply waking up a group of muscles - not performing one of the stretches which we should only do after dancing, (although both Michelle and Princess Farhana DO both do deep stretches before exercise

Dear Jen,
    Interesting. I know that currently, the whole warm-up/cool down thing seems to be going though some real changes, much sifferent than when I was in physical fitness classes in high school. There seem to be a bazillion contrasting theories!
    Some days I feel like I wou;d be better of if I just stick with Snacksersize!!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Jen,
    Interesting. I know that currently, the whole warm-up/cool down thing seems to be going though some real changes, much sifferent than when I was in physical fitness classes in high school. There seem to be a bazillion contrasting theories!
    Some days I feel like I wou;d be better of if I just stick with Snacksersize!!
    Regards,
    A'isha
    There you Go! Pass me a Snickers......
    Yasmine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12